Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2012, 05:18 AM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattKan
"The New iPad" and Graal

The iPad 3, or as Apple calls it, "The New iPad" is coming out soon!

The main thing is the resolution which is far greater than that of the iPad 2.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/

"The New iPad" Display:
  • Retina display
  • 9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
  • 2048-by-1536-pixel resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi) The iPad 2 had a resolution of: 1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)
  • Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
  • Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously

Taken from http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

So the question is:

How will Graal support this? You definitely managed to make the Graal app look substantially better on the iPhone with Retina display than without it. I'm hoping you will achieve similar results with The new iPad
Old 03-11-2012, 06:11 AM
Jazz teh Awesome
oo_jazz_oo is a jewel in the roughoo_jazz_oo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to oo_jazz_oo
Isn't the only difference between the iPhone and iPad that you can see more of the level?

I suppose they could take advantage of the new resolution and display the entire gmap at once.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:15 AM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
I plan on buying an iPad, I don't know why yet, I just want it.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:33 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
that is not a practical resolution to be running graal on considering the size of the screen

graal doesn't "scale" with resolution, you just see more. the text would be hard to read and everything will look quite small. :[
Old 03-11-2012, 08:27 AM
Hezzy002 is a jewel in the roughHezzy002 is a jewel in the rough
In my game, I display UI elements like windows and buttons at the highest res, but the actual game is normal iPhone res on the retina display, or can be zoomed in and out by a setting. Could do something like that.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Delterian Hybrid
Emera is a jewel in the roughEmera is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
that is not a practical resolution to be running graal on considering the size of the screen

graal doesn't "scale" with resolution, you just see more. the text would be hard to read and everything will look quite small. :[
This. In my opinion, Graal is fun to play on the iPad, but I think that Graal best suits being played on a smaller iDevice like the iPod or iPhone.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:26 PM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:

I think that it shows the same area on Retina display as without it, but it still looks way better somehow.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:41 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKan View Post
I think that it shows the same area on Retina display as without it, but it still looks way better somehow.
what devices we talking about here? did apple use IPS panels before "retina display"? if not then thats prob why
Old 03-11-2012, 04:25 PM
the KattMan
Quote:
what devices we talking about here? did apple use IPS panels before "retina display"? if not then thats prob why
(Retina Display) iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod Touch 4

vs

Anything older

If you check the pixelated button in the iClassic options you'll see how it used to look.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:58 PM
geneticfrog can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to geneticfrog Send a message via MSN to geneticfrog
I use to play iera when it first came out with a ipod 4g.

till i pads came out and their view distance was much harder to beat. it got annoying not knowing whos bullets are flying at you mostly in gangs.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Delterian Hybrid
The size of the iPad screen is a bonus when playing on iGraal, but I still think that after comparing the iPad and the iPod gameplay side by side that the iPod is definately more suited for iGraal gameplay more than the iPad is. The buttons are the correct size and in the correct positions so you can simple hit them with your thumb. Then iPad is far too big for moving around too much and the big ass screen just gets in the way. That's my opinion though.

iPad 2 Gameplay
iPod 4G Gameplay
Old 03-12-2012, 08:02 PM
the KattMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emera View Post
The size of the iPad screen is a bonus when playing on iGraal, but I still think that after comparing the iPad and the iPod gameplay side by side that the iPod is definately more suited for iGraal gameplay more than the iPad is. The buttons are the correct size and in the correct positions so you can simple hit them with your thumb. Then iPad is far too big for moving around too much and the big ass screen just gets in the way. That's my opinion though.

iPad 2 Gameplay
iPod 4G Gameplay
I personally prefer the iPad.

Also http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...hp?t=134261974

Another thing that would be cool is for PMs to show up as notifications when outside of Graal. :P
Old 03-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
As I argued in the past, anyone who wants to Really Really play the game on an iDevice, having support for the keyboards would make a simple balancing solution for that alleged problem, also Stefan has mentioned a few times (very recently If I recall) that he'll make Zone allow PC players play on it as well, so that at least says there's experimentation going on for multi-platform online game play.

The only issue I can actually think of on anything is whether or not that an iPod (not iPhone/iPad) supports bluetooth well enough for use, I don't know iDevices extremely well.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Last I heard from Stefan is that just because the new iPads and such have higher resolutions, it doesn't have the power to actually render Graal at that resolution.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Quote:
Another thing that would be cool is for PMs to show up as notifications when outside of Graal. :P
That's a cool idea O.O