Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Future Improvements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2009, 07:57 PM
100 IFP and runnin'
Nabru is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Nabru
I think the fact none of these tools have seen updates in over 3 years, and hes trying to build everything into one program just shows laziness and being uninterested in graal in general.

If it's that much of a hassle why don't they just shut up shop?
Old 07-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Deas
Deas_Voice is a jewel in the roughDeas_Voice is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Deas_Voice Send a message via MSN to Deas_Voice Send a message via Yahoo to Deas_Voice
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
For some reason I think it might have been Mystical Dragon? I remember someone making an external RC for cellphones/PDAs and was banned for doing so.
i want one >:0
go make 1 for us.
no1 tell stefan about it
since 2003~
I Support~
ღAeonღ | ღTestbedღ | ღDelteriaღ

if you are going to rep me, don't be an idiot, leave your name!
I got nothing but love for you
Old 07-04-2009, 09:55 AM
The secret of NIMH
Robin will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Robin
Loriel made a third party RC, in GTK, with a Ruby codebase.

Then Stefan changed the compression algo again.

Would it be a security risk if Stefan released the information needed to make an RC?
Yes. Definately so.

But is it still a security risk because he hasn't?
Of course. It just takes longer for it to become an issue.

There needs to be some MAJOR updates to all external tools. Gonstruct is nice, but as with all things Loriel is involved with, interest in further development is eventually lost.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Fry has a spectacular aura about
Well you see, if the work involved in actively developing external tools (or tools at all) would be trivial, I'm sure someone externally would've created some already (there's of course no real excuse for why there are no proper official ones).
There are atleast two motiviations to spend time and effort developing these: money or dedication to Graal, and I'm sure anyone dedicated enugh capable of finishing such a project has much better things to do than develop tools for free.
Robin, your misinformation or lack of knowledge does not put away the fact that a RC is more than a chat window . Also don't blame Loriel, the fact that nothing's getting done on Gonstruct anymore is probably more my fault, there's no driving force anymore since I really don't care about Graal enugh anymore to put much free time into it. A hope might be that it's open source, which is not possible for a RC since a certain someone is pretty paranoid about his game's security (reasonably..).

Top 3 servers at the moment (players):

Old 07-04-2009, 12:12 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
There needs to be some MAJOR updates to all external tools. Gonstruct is nice, but as with all things Loriel is involved with, interest in further development is eventually lost.
Well he is working on it in his own time and it's not like Loriel and the other guys actually play Graal anymore.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Loriel made a third party RC, in GTK, with a Ruby codebase.
This is a bit of an exaggeration, I only really build those parts that I needed to hang out on RC chat. As someone said, actually making a third-party RC would get me banned, so I never did.

Quote:
Gonstruct is mostly fry's project, stop giving me all the praise!

I lost interest because it turns out I was not actually making any levels anymore, and also because I had hoped that once we had something usable, some other people might jump into the project and start getting their favourite features implemented.

Graal's external tools are not exactly rocket science. Stefan is pretty good at using easy-to-understand plaintext file formats, so it should not be a big deal for the community to get its **** together and program whatever it needs. The RC is obviously an exception, but eh, it is just the RC.

(I think CheeToS or someone started writing a gani editor ages ago, did anything become of that?)

An alternative would be to latch onto some third-party generic tile-based level editor project and add the bunch of magical objects that we need for levels, and then either add support for the .nw format or write a separate conversion script.

Personally I find it pretty hard to come up with the motivation to get into this anymore (sorry, Jess), but that is probably mostly due to my antipathy for entire development process of Graal.

Last edited by Loriel; 07-04-2009 at 07:14 PM..
Old 07-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabru View Post
I think the fact none of these tools have seen updates in over 3 years, and hes trying to build everything into one program just shows laziness and being uninterested in graal in general.
Stefan has good reasons for integrating everything into the Graal client. It would make maintenance easier because there would not be a need for three separate versions for linux/osx/windows versions and because scripters could easily contribute features or bugfixes to scripted tools without all the hassle of actual software development.

There might be good arguments against that strategy (my favourite one being that no one seems to be actively working on it), but I do not think that makes Stefan lazy.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:34 PM
100 IFP and runnin'
Nabru is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Nabru
Bump for great justice!
Old 07-13-2009, 01:45 PM
That Guy
CheeToS2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to CheeToS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
(I think CheeToS or someone started writing a gani editor ages ago, did anything become of that?)
It got pretty far, but I ended up scrapping it due to audio syncing and complexity issues. WPF also would have made things much nicer, but then it wouldn't have Mono compatibility. I'm no longer motivated to work on it.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:33 PM
The secret of NIMH
Robin will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Robin
I made a Gani viewer in flash, but it was very temperamental.

edit: and obviously didn't support scripts.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:04 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
There's my scripted Gani Editor, which tends to bug up when switching between single dir modes, and the reverse option. It could be redone using GUI controls though.

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=79041
Old 07-14-2009, 12:57 AM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
There is a gui version of the scripted gani editor already, based on that. It's currently on testbed server and zone debug.