Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Your opinion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #61  
Old 07-02-2009, 06:48 AM
Hiro Hiro is offline
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,965
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro Send a message via Skype™ to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
It'd be sweet if it wasn't just Stefan developing the Graal client and the development tools for it, then just maybe we wouldn't be complaining about things being out of date.
but then how could they charge for it? free and open source graal would be pretty interesting (not gonna happen)
  #62  
Old 07-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Crono Crono is offline
:pluffy:
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 19,993
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Crono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
As I've said before, as long as CJ views Graal as a development platform it's not going to move forward and hasn't ever since this ****ty attitude was put to place.
--^

As for money, in the past they got people to upgrade because of servers like G2k1, G2k2, and Zone. Zone's prime ended after 2005, so that's almost 5 years without a decent/good flagship server.
__________________
  #63  
Old 07-02-2009, 08:25 AM
DustyPorViva DustyPorViva is offline
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 9,589
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
The thing is, no matter how Stefan approaches Graal -- as a game or a development platform, both benefit. If Stefan were to develop a new server, a flagship server, do you think he'd just sit there limiting his ideas by the constricts of what is currently there? Not really. Anytime Stefan deeply gets involved in a server project, Graal benefits development-wise because of it. New world project, G2k1, and G2k2 are a great examples of this. All three of those brought things like NW format, all kinds of new tileset support, NPC-server, gani's, hats, classes, shoot, lights, terrain, mudlib(though only GK gets that...). And tons of other random things he's added because he needed it for his project, that benefits us all really.

So it's not like we really have to choose one or the other.
  #64  
Old 07-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Crono Crono is offline
:pluffy:
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 19,993
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Crono
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
So it's not like we really have to choose one or the other.
Yes you do. Just as you said, if Stefan is working on a new server we are likely to get a decent/good server and new development tools. However if only development tools are being worked on, there is no new flagship server. I also think that the new tools won't be as good as it would be if they were made along side the said new server.
__________________
  #65  
Old 07-02-2009, 08:39 AM
DustyPorViva DustyPorViva is offline
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 9,589
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
Yes you do. Just as you said, if Stefan is working on a new server we are likely to get a decent/good server and new development tools. However if only development tools are being worked on, there is no new flagship server. I also think that the new tools won't be as good as it would be if they were made along side the said new server.
I never said I wanted purely developmental updates :P However, it would be nice to get updates to the client between servers like he used to do rather than these 'wait until a fully completed version is done' updates.
  #66  
Old 07-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Rufus Rufus is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,698
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
I never said I wanted purely developmental updates :P However, it would be nice to get updates to the client between servers like he used to do rather than these 'wait until a fully completed version is done' updates.
Do you honestly have any intention of ever playing Graal as a game again? I don't think you do, and it's the same for a lot of developers.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
Seriously, you have ****-all for content and you're not exactly pulling in new developer talent, angling for prestigious titles should be your last concern.
  #67  
Old 07-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Galdor Galdor is offline
░▒▓██▓▒░
Galdor's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,434
Galdor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond repute
Stop complaining about G3D you hopeless noobs, don't judge a book by its cover >=O
__________________
Links
Draenin's Villains
Draenin's Quests

My Albums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unixmad
This forums is going worst each day.
  #68  
Old 07-02-2009, 06:38 PM
DustyPorViva DustyPorViva is offline
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 9,589
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Do you honestly have any intention of ever playing Graal as a game again? I don't think you do, and it's the same for a lot of developers.
I don't see how that really matters in this instance
  #69  
Old 07-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Rufus Rufus is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,698
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
I don't see how that really matters in this instance
If you have no interest in playing Graal as a game, why would you be interested in a new server? A new server would not necessarily need new tools, which is what people are trying to express here.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
Seriously, you have ****-all for content and you're not exactly pulling in new developer talent, angling for prestigious titles should be your last concern.
  #70  
Old 07-02-2009, 06:56 PM
DustyPorViva DustyPorViva is offline
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 9,589
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
If you have no interest in playing Graal as a game, why would you be interested in a new server? A new server would not necessarily need new tools.
Of course a developer is going to favor new developer tools. However I also started in the post you quoted that I wouldn't mind it either way. Whether Stefan develops a server or just development tools, it's going to go in my favor.

However, whether I'd play a new server is hard to say... just because I develop doesn't mean I have no interest. I do still play games -- Zelda being one of them as well. Graal has just had nothing to offer me in a long time.
  #71  
Old 07-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Hiro Hiro is offline
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,965
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro Send a message via Skype™ to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Of course a developer is going to favor new developer tools. However I also started in the post you quoted that I wouldn't mind it either way. Whether Stefan develops a server or just development tools, it's going to go in my favor.

However, whether I'd play a new server is hard to say... just because I develop doesn't mean I have no interest. I do still play games -- Zelda being one of them as well. Graal has just had nothing to offer me in a long time.
it hasn't had anything to offer to anyone in a long time - which is why we need new content, not new tools for making content. why were you even arguing with me in the first place if you don't care since it will benefit you anyways? wouldn't you want the benefits that also benefit all of us?

Last edited by Darlene159; 07-02-2009 at 07:57 PM..
  #72  
Old 07-02-2009, 07:58 PM
DustyPorViva DustyPorViva is offline
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 9,589
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
it hasn't had anything to offer to anyone in a long time - which is why we need new content, not new tools for making content. why were you even arguing with me in the first place if you don't care since it will benefit you anyways? wouldn't you want the benefits that also benefit all of us?
Because it needs both. Graal is not strictly a game. It is also a development platform, at least it advertises itself as such. Right now it seems people paying for servers are the ones paying the most. They have to upgrade their accounts AND pay for a server. Sure, Graal is a game and that can't be forgotten, however people are also paying for it as a development platform and to exclude all of them would be dumb. As long as people are paying to develop, they are just as much customers as the players.

Last edited by Darlene159; 07-02-2009 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: Removed the insult from quoted post
  #73  
Old 07-03-2009, 12:02 AM
Hiro Hiro is offline
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,965
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro Send a message via Skype™ to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Because it needs both. Graal is not strictly a game. It is also a development platform, at least it advertises itself as such. Right now it seems people paying for servers are the ones paying the most. They have to upgrade their accounts AND pay for a server. Sure, Graal is a game and that can't be forgotten, however people are also paying for it as a development platform and to exclude all of them would be dumb. As long as people are paying to develop, they are just as much customers as the players.
so the people who pay the most money should get the most updates, the most focus, and the better quality of game, even though they are the vast minority type of player and, at this point, haven't created anything

oh yea, graal is finished if we keep that attitude, absolutely done for
  #74  
Old 07-03-2009, 12:13 AM
salesman salesman is offline
Finger lickin' good.
salesman's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,865
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
Graal's "popular" servers were all made by players.
  #75  
Old 07-03-2009, 12:27 AM
DustyPorViva DustyPorViva is offline
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 9,589
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
so the people who pay the most money should get the most updates, the most focus, and the better quality of game, even though they are the vast minority type of player and, at this point, haven't created anything

oh yea, graal is finished if we keep that attitude, absolutely done for
Who said they should get the most updates? I just said it needs updates too.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (C) 1998-2008 Linux cyberjoueurs All Rights Reserved.