Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2014, 08:37 PM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
It's not really being worked on, sorry. I just felt bad about those icons.

Someone emailed me the day before yesterday about some error they were getting trying to build it on OS X, which reminded me gonstruct exists. I still don't have an OS X computer so I can't help with that, but apparently they were using some writeup for macports at http://www.graalians.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23585 to try to get it working. Sounds super annoying though.

I'm vaguely interested in getting rid of the ruby dependency, but it's probably not the biggest problem with compatibility and everybody should have as many scripting languages installed as possible , so I'm not in a rush there either. The only thing I could think of to make it work better on OS X would be completely rewriting the GUI to use Qt, and I'm enthusiastic about neither completely rewriting the GUI nor learning Qt, and it would probably still be a pain to compile things by hand on OS X for people who aren't used to that.

I think Fry is completely occupied with other things.
Yeah mac ports is a complete... I'll just sensor myself now... but yeah I might look into it a little more in depth. Is it anything you would ever consider looking into if someone donated you a mac? Now that I got a macbook air I don't use my mac mini.. and its just collecting dust. Just a thought.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:24 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptless View Post
Yeah mac ports is a complete... I'll just sensor myself now... but yeah I might look into it a little more in depth. Is it anything you would ever consider looking into if someone donated you a mac? Now that I got a macbook air I don't use my mac mini.. and its just collecting dust. Just a thought.
I'm not really comfortable accepting donations, sorry.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:46 PM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
I'm not really comfortable accepting donations, sorry.
Was worth asking. Usually people don't have a problem if they have things shipped to a p.o. box or they give a bogus address and put a hold for pickup at ups. Only other way to offer you osx access is remote pc access but that's not happening. That's not really secure lol
Old 10-20-2014, 11:07 PM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Even better idea, set up a remote connection for Loriel. Use OSX without physically having it.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:55 PM
Banned
That's what I said is a security risk to me. Anyone that compromises hi mcould attack me...

Also heres an update... I only got 2 error's and 1 was as simple as changing target from 10.10 to 10.9.

Quote:
/Users/scriptless/Documents/graal-gonstruct/src/level_editor/gtkmarshalers.c:2:10: 'glib-object.h' file not found

Last edited by scriptless; 10-21-2014 at 02:14 AM..
Old 10-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
That's what I said is a security risk to me. Anyone that compromises hi mcould attack me...

Also heres an update... I only got 2 error's and 1 was as simple as changing target from 10.10 to 10.9.
Quote:
/Users/scriptless/Documents/graal-gonstruct/src/level_editor/gtkmarshalers.c:2:10: 'glib-object.h' file not found
I don't know why this happens, but just to spell out what it means: gtkmarshalers.c is supposed to include glib-object.h, which usually lives in /usr/include/glib-2.0/, but it can't find it. Either you don't have glib (including development headers) installed or the build system somehow neglects to figure out where the headers are installed to. I'm surprised it didn't error earlier than that, though.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:37 PM
Banned
Quote:
I don't know why this happens, but just to spell out what it means: gtkmarshalers.c is supposed to include glib-object.h, which usually lives in /usr/include/glib-2.0/, but it can't find it. Either you don't have glib (including development headers) installed or the build system somehow neglects to figure out where the headers are installed to. I'm surprised it didn't error earlier than that, though.
I am using xcode. I think I need to include it in my project. But I don't see it installed. I believe I have to go download it however if I comment that line out I get other errors I believe are related to glib .. I need to figure out which library version and all that to download for mac and try again when I get a chance.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:24 PM
Somewhat rusty
Quote:
I am using xcode. I think I need to include it in my project. But I don't see it installed. I believe I have to go download it however if I comment that line out I get other errors I believe are related to glib .. I need to figure out which library version and all that to download for mac and try again when I get a chance.
You're gonna need gtkmm and all of its dependencies, as well as gtkglarea, gtksourceview and boost, as it says in the readme. For the gtk stuff you want versions just under 3.0 because gtkglarea doesn't support gtk3 afaik. It's like a dozen packages, this is the thing that macports (and package managers on linux) automate, I'm not sure if there's a better way on OS X.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:27 PM
Banned
Ok. I've setup gtkmm on my mac mini before. If I do manage to compile I can give instructions for os x. Going to be alot of playing around and adjusting. If you don't mind me asking how come the libraries went all included in the git hub project?
Old 10-22-2014, 05:58 PM
Somewhat rusty
Quote:
Ok. I've setup gtkmm on my mac mini before. If I do manage to compile I can give instructions for os x. Going to be alot of playing around and adjusting. If you don't mind me asking how come the libraries went all included in the git hub project?
The purpose of git is to help track the changes we make to our code. The libraries have their own git repositories (or similar).

Linux desktop applications tend to depend on dozens if not hundred of other packages being installed on the system. Installing the application, all the libraries the application depends on, and the libraries those libraries depend on is usually handled by the operating system on unix (which is what I think macports is trying to implement on OS X). It's not the role of git.

Edit: I believe homebrew is an alternative to macports but I have no experience with that either.

Last edited by Loriel; 10-22-2014 at 06:09 PM..
Old 10-22-2014, 07:10 PM
Banned
Yes home brew is and I've been told to use it in the past. I only asked why the libraries went included because other open source projects like torque2d come with all the libraries needed to compile
Old 12-22-2014, 08:30 PM
<title>Member</title>
linkoraclehero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to linkoraclehero Send a message via MSN to linkoraclehero
I just got here, but I was successfully able to build Gonstruct on 10.10.1 with absolutely NO problems at all. I did a pull request for the readme as you need to install "gtksourceview2", not "gtksourceview", but once that's done, as long as you do everything right, it should compile with 0 errors and 0 warnings.

If you have xquartz and maports installed, you should be able to just run this:

git clone https://github.com/fry/graal-gonstruct.git
sudo port install gtkmm
sudo port install gtksourceview2
sudo port install gtkglarea2
sudo port install boost
sudo port install cmake
cmake .
make
src/level_editor/gonstruct

And about 30 minutes later, you should be done.

Side note, your "Graal Directory" will be ~/Library/Application Support/Graal
Old 12-22-2014, 08:32 PM
<title>Member</title>
Send a message via AIM to linkoraclehero Send a message via MSN to linkoraclehero
And no, you do not need to install Ruby - it's already installed, and you may not need to install boost as I believe gtk needs it - but it never hurts to run that line. Just ideally do NOT install the ports version of Ruby, use the Apple-provided version or use rvm!

If you're that gunshy, you can try this:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0G...ew?usp=sharing
Old 12-23-2014, 02:54 AM
Banned
I can give this a try and verify if it works or not for other people. I have both a 2014 MacBook Air, and a 2012 Mac Mini. Don't think it should matter tho both are running 10.10.1 as well but I will definitely give this a try.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:51 AM
<title>Member</title>
I didn't realize it, but it compiles with shared libraries, so the binary does work, but you still need to run through the ports steps (It took 2 minutes to compile - so using the binary is near unnecessary)

I've successfully done this on a Late 2013 21.5' iMac w/ 10.10.1, and a Late 2013 MacBook Pro, also running 10.10.1 (Partially mucked by the Yosemite Beta) - probably the most frictionless compilation I've ever dealt with (I remember back when I used Unix - 300+ warnings was "acceptable" when building even major projects like Firefox)

I do want to look into making some changes to it, but I don't know if I'll ever get around to having time to. A "Reload" button for the tileset would be nice.