Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > NPC Scripting
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 12:35 PM
Banned
Cubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant future
Algorithm RNG that progressively gets harder the higher the number

I currently need a way to create random number generation that gets progressively harder the higher the number..

example:
You have the chance of getting a number 0-10.

You are most likely to get 1, less likely to get 2, even less likely to get 3 and so on.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do where it would be progressively harder each number you go up or would my best bet be to do a bunch of logic checks to see if a random number is within a set range and iteration lessen the the gap that allows it to proceed to the next iteration until I've hit the whatever the max number?
Old 08-23-2013, 03:15 PM
DrakilorP2P is just really niceDrakilorP2P is just really nice
Sounds a bit like "normal distribution", or "the bell curve." You can generate numbers that act like that using the "Box–Muller transform." Look up these things.

My attempt at implementing it in GScript:
PHP Code:
function normal() {

temp.2.7182818284590452353602874713526624977572470936999;
  return 
cos(2*pi*random(01)) * (-log(temp.erandom(01)))^0.5;

It generates numbers that are more likely to be close to 0.

If you know in advance that you only need numbers 1 through 10 it's probably easier to do it another way.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:03 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakilorP2P View Post
Sounds a bit like "normal distribution", or "the bell curve." You can generate numbers that act like that using the "Box–Muller transform." Look up these things.
This is what we did on Kingdoms for the mystery boxes (for determining which item you got). If you need more code samples, I can dig up our implementation as well.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:14 PM
Banned
Cubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant future
I'll take a look at it when I get home and see if I can get a general understanding on what he provided and if not I'll take you up on that probably.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:03 AM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
wow i'm bad with statistics. apparently you can transform your rand()'s uniform distribution into a desired distribution via the latter's quantile function which is the inverse of the cumulative distribution function which is the integral of the probability density function and you could pick something like 2*(1-x) as your density function (for 0<=x<1, i guess the idea is that it's normalized). then wolfram alpha gives 1-sqrt(1-x) (the + solution sounds useless i dunno). so you'd transform the uniform 0<=x<1 rand() into a number between 0 and 10 by doing (1-sqrt(1-rand()))*11 and rounding down.

i guess if 1-x doesn't appeal to you as a distribution you can do the whole thing with stuff like 1-sqrt(x) and 1-x*x and that sort of thing and see if something cool happens but wow i hate statistics.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:00 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
wow i'm bad with statistics. apparently you can transform your rand()'s uniform distribution into a desired distribution via the latter's quantile function which is the inverse of the cumulative distribution function which is the integral of the probability density function and you could pick something like 2*(1-x) as your density function (for 0<=x<1, i guess the idea is that it's normalized).
wat
Old 09-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Good seeing you as usual Loriel.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 09-02-2013, 02:36 AM
AGT
dylan has a spectacular aura about
I was trying to do something to where the chance exponentially gets higher or lower, but it seems the Math.pow(int, int) function no longer is in working fashion.

<@Logan> I spent a minute looking at my own code by accident.
<@Logan> I was thinking "What the hell is this guy doing?"
Old 09-02-2013, 03:18 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
going off loriel's post... I came up with:

PHP Code:
function onCreated() {

temp.tmax 10;

temp.rand = function (m) { return int(((1-random(0,1)^0.5)) * m) };

for (
temp.0temp.1000temp.i++) {

temp.("count_" temp.rand(temp.tmax))++;
  }
  for (
temp.0temp.temp.tmaxtemp.i++) {
    echo(
temp.i SPC temp.("count_" temp.i));
  }
}

/*
Sample:
0 179
1 170
2 145
3 126
4 115
5 95
6 75
7 59
8 27
9 9
*/ 
one other way I tried:

PHP Code:
function onCreated() {

temp.tmax 10;

temp.rand = function (m) {

temp.0;
    while (
random(0,1) > 0.5 && temp.m) {

temp.i++;
    }
    return 
temp.i;
  };

for (
temp.0temp.1000temp.i++) {

temp.("count_" temp.rand(temp.tmax))++;
  }
  for (
temp.0temp.temp.tmaxtemp.i++) {
    echo(
temp.i SPC temp.("count_" temp.i));
  }
}

/*
Sample:
0 520
1 243
2 132
3 56
4 27
5 12
6 2
7 3
8 3
9 1
*/ 
I'm sure there's a math way to do it but **** it.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:23 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan View Post
I was trying to do something to where the chance exponentially gets higher or lower, but it seems the Math.pow(int, int) function no longer is in working fashion.
You can simply use a caret in GScript—it's not used for xor like it is in most languages.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
This sounds interesting. Would defiantly make the daily freebies system more efficient. Is this also used in something like rarity of item spawns/drops?
Old 09-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
going off loriel's post... I came up with:

PHP Code:
(1-random(0,1)^0.5
It took me way too long to figure out why 1-sqrt(rand()) is the same thing as 1-sqrt(1-rand())