View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 04:16 AM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperialistic View Post
My understanding of the GDT (Global Development Team) is that it's mostly there for when servers tend to stall on development. Maybe it be Scripting/Graphic or Level wise. That's where the GDT will step in and drop the hammer to help get their production of development on the roll.
That is certainly what the GDT is for in my opinion. I think this idea of what the GDT is for needs to be ironed out.

Here is a list of what I believe should be the roles of the GDT (incomplete perhaps?):
  1. Create public content that would naturally be used on all servers. The suggested standard script package would be an aspect of this. Along with scripted versions of development tools.
  2. Serve as a bridge between Stefan and Graal's development community. This involves recommending features that are generally desired and creating demonstrations of features that have been added by Stefan.
  3. Serve as advisers to developers and playerworld management. This would involve evaluating content or just giving general tips about development in general. This would also involve helping with topics relating to the mechanics of playerworlds, such as creating gmaps.
  4. Ensure proper documentation of Graal's development aspects. This could be anything from simply GScript documentation to documentation about various level making styles and techniques.
Of course not all team members would be required to do everything. And as Bell said, all members would be free to do whatever they want on their own time, which can be helping playerworlds in need if they choose to do so, but that should not be obligatory. The GDT isn't here to bail-out failing playerworlds, in my humble opinion.