View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 05:36 AM
Noctorious' NeoHunter
Seich will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Seich Send a message via Yahoo to Seich
I think that making complete systems, ready for the grabs would allow server managers to actually spend more time developing details. Most of the time spent in new and serious servers will be spent in the making and developing basic systems. After all, most servers have the same base scripts (i.e. health, movement, etc.) and they all do basically the same, some servers might have better systems and others might be just bad so, this will simply help raise the general quality of content. That way a new playerworld would be able to start focusing on details which, I think is the most important thing playerworlds would get from such a team. If I could start a server today and, have it running high quality basic systems in some hours (that I can further modify if I need to) I can instantly start focusing on other aspects of the server such as game play. By having this basic systems provided I can start developing my quests and focusing on the things that actually make a server unique. Indeed, there will be several servers who will just die due to their lack of originality and content but, many are already dying without even getting started due to the lack of developers and sometimes originality as well.

Apart from the benefits I see for player worlds, I also see many advantages for developers. We could document global scripts and with this, allow developers to make use of these scripts in a more fluent way. For example I could go into a server that might have the same basic health system which I have already worked with on many other servers plus, it's well documented on the wiki this, will allow me to start developing using it without spending much time analyzing scripts and such. I could script baddies knowing that this system has some command to damage players and so on.

There might have been many flaws(which many people have pointed out before me) but, I think that in general this is worth trying.