View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017, 08:46 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Kicking off some rust.

So it has been almost 7 years since I last used the editor, but after talking with Kamaeru a little bit I've sort of caught the development bug. So I dusted off Gonstruct and created two levels.

I'd like to note that these two levels are supposed to work together as an overworld and interior. Also since I was working in Gonstruct I am missing the lighting for the lamps, as well as character NPCs.

Exterior:
  • The graveyard was designed so that a player would first need a hammer to enter.
  • Once inside, the top gravestone would be pushable to allow the player to drop into the hidden chamber underneath.
  • As far as NPCs, the lamps outside would have a light effect, but again, I could not place them because of Gonstruct. I think I'd also have ghosts or skeleton enemies patrolling the graveyard.
  • I tried my hardest to have the interior and exterior exits line up. I know it isn't 100% accurate, but I think simple things like this help build your game immersion.
  • Not too happy with how the exterior turned out. I think it looks sort of busy, and the dirt path turned out to dominate most of the level.

Interior:
  • The top left section is a thieves den. As I stated, I did not place any NPCs inside, but there were going to be 2-3 thieves inside which would give you hints to a chest in the graveyard. I also purposefully placed the interior cell for the graveyard area in the thieves den for the player to see, sort of like in Link to the Past as an extra hint.
  • The tree inside the cave was to have a light effect above indicating that it was getting sunlight from the small abandoned well on top of the exterior level. The lamps would also have a light effect. The whole level would have been darker to show off those light effects.
  • When you drop into the graveyard interior cell you would land on that green tuft of grass. There would also be a light effect above this spot to indicate the open grave as well.
  • I'm definitely not happy with the graveyard interior cell. I tried to emulate Link to the Past as best I could, but I think the red carpet is pretty ugly. I might go back and try to create a raised platform of some kind.

If you guys have any suggestions let me know. Also if you know how to get the default editor to work that'd be appreciated as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test.png
Views:	501
Size:	505.7 KB
ID:	56005   Click image for larger version

Name:	test3.png
Views:	524
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	56006