View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 10:10 PM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
I already told you what was wrong ingame. Hitting people from a mile away is not normal and nothing of the sort happens on UN or iClassic with or without TCP. I don't know if it's the movement system or hit detection, but from a player perspective it doesnt really matter; something is off.
Going by the Clientside mechanism Default works by, it's perfectly plausible to hit somebody from a far distance according to your own perspective. If the time it takes for data to go from your computer to your opponent's computer is high enough (such as against someone with a ping into the thousands), you could even hit somebody from the opposite side of the arena according to your own perspective, provided their client detects an intersect.

When you have 2 Europeans sparring eachother using TCP, there's always going to be a big delay between slashes going from one to the other, as the data is having to travel all the way from Europe to the USA, and then back to the opponent in Europe. A decent UDP transfer among 2 Europeans would change the situation entirely, as data would then not be having to travel so far to and from 2 Europeans.

I've seen videos of spars on UN and iPhone, tested default early in Classic's development as well as pre-wipe, opened up Dev Polo plus an arena (using default) on one occasion where most of the servers were down, and even sparred against a crowd of people on that place which is considered a taboo, guessing ahead of time to successfully hit an opponent inwhich there's a delay seems completely normal to me.