View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 05:25 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptless View Post
I just realised, tile type would mean it could block. lol

But thats why I am saying, layer 1 = blocking information, layer 2 = the scrolling background.. it's essentially the same thing tho as what your saying except you would end up using less layers.
For the purposes of parallaxing backgrounds, layer 1 would need to be the background layer, while layer 2 should ideally contain the tiletype information. As an example, if you wanted to make scrolling water or a world map that parallaxes beneath some floating islands, it would need to be on the layer underneath the one players normally walk on. There are lots of different things you could do with an extra layer underneath, as well as ones above the player as well.

I've actually been thinking a lot about layer structuring lately, and the best setup I can come up with so far is:

Layer 1: Background Layer (Parallaxing / Scrolling Optional)
Layer 2: Map Layer
Layer 3: Object Layer
Layer 4: Foreground Layer (Parallaxing / Scrolling Optional)
Layer 5: UI Layer

As you can see in this video, putting objects on layer 4 can allow you to do some parallax scrolling. Basically, objects on the layer above move in the opposite direction of you, proportional to your speed and other factors. The objects themselves are actually planted in levels in fixed locations, but applying certain image settings will create the effect.

Last edited by Draenin; 03-15-2013 at 06:05 AM..