Thread: Graal Controls.
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Lightbulb Graal Controls.

From a player point of view (both new and old) the controls on Graal as a whole are extremely disjointed from the actual gameplay, and when you jump from server to server as much as people do, it becomes even worse. We have the global controls in the F3 options menu, which are very out of date and it only has a few basic options as you can see if you look at the first attachment. The majority of servers make use of these functions, such as movement, using A, S and D, but a lot do not.

On top of the basic functions the majority of servers obviously have their server-specific keys, such as Zodiac which has millions, and Classic that has Wave on W, Hug on H and Camera Change on C. Now on the two servers I've mentioned for example, there is no way of changing the keys that you are using, and you will only find them by exploring. On Classic there is a hidden chat command (terrible, terrible) for changing your keys, but not even the staff seem to know it. Classic is not the only server who falls victim to this, as nearly every single server has chat commands to change keys. Some servers have taken the inituative and added GUI interfaces for changing hotkeys, etc, which really annoys me. There are two pretty obvious reasons why they are a bad way of handling it:
  1. Custom key settings conflict with global and graal-set key settings.
  2. There should only be one area for the control of keys, both for consistency and to avoid huge confusion.

With those two reasons in mind, I've been kind of tampering with the idea of a new controls window; I've attached it below. My main idea was encorporating the global, local and Graal controls all into one control area. The blue keys represent Graal controls, the red keys represent global controls, and the green keys represent the local. I was thinking with all three key 'types' being placed into one area, there will be no conflicts like there currently are. The controls on each server would appear in the settings by default (set by the server) and the player would be able to pick and choose what they wanted on their keyboard; could make the controls different per server if they really wanted to.

I just think both visually and functionally, this might be a better way of handling the controls. I'm not a scripter though, so I don't know what might mess up in that department
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old_graal_controls.PNG
Views:	2803
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	45534   Click image for larger version

Name:	new_graal_controls.PNG
Views:	2330
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	45535