Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Future Improvements (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   External Mac RC? (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81106)

Novo 08-08-2008 03:21 AM

External Mac RC?

Mac requires a native RC.

Virtualizing Windows to use the native RC is way too resource-hogging for a portable. In all dimensions: Disk Space, CPU, and Memory. My system goes to a sluggish speed in these cases. Backing up things is also near impossible (communications from mother os to virtualized os is difficult)

In-game client-rc is immensely slow... And I have time to write an entire line of code before I see the beginning of the line start to form. If I do a typo, I have to move the cursor to the point of interest to work, because waiting for the cursor to finish changing is too long. Also, it was badly designed for user experience. Backing up things is impossible.

Alternatives are to abandon Mac, which I have no interest in doing.

Inverness 08-08-2008 03:33 AM

BootCamp?

cbk1994 08-08-2008 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Novo (Post 1412378)

Virtualizing Windows to use the native RC is way too resource-hogging for a portable. In all dimensions: Disk Space, CPU, and Memory. My system goes to a sluggish speed in these cases. Backing up things is also near impossible (communications from mother os to virtualized os is difficult)

In-game client-rc is immensely slow... And I have time to write an entire line of code before I see the beginning of the line start to form. If I do a typo, I have to move the cursor to the point of interest to work, because waiting for the cursor to finish changing is too long. Also, it was badly designed for user experience. Backing up things is impossible.

The Intel version of Graal, with external windows, is waaaaay better. However, it's still not as good as the Windows RC.

I'm with you, but unfortunately, Stefan has said Windows won't be getting offline RC updates, which means that Mac will NEVER get any kind of offline tools.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inverness (Post 1412379)
BootCamp?

He wants a Mac RC, not a way to run Windows :cry:

I have to use Boot Camp to develop, unfortunately.

Novo 08-08-2008 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inverness (Post 1412379)
BootCamp?

BootCamp is worse than Parallels... Not only do you require more disk space to run it, you're locked out of all your music / apps / settings. Also... I'm a bit windows-claustrophobic. I just feel like I'm being contained in Windows, and it's a real icky feeling... It makes me not want to program at all.

excaliber7388 08-08-2008 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Novo (Post 1412378)

Other alternative is to abandon Graal ;)

Don't hold your breath. People have been asking for a Mac RC, Gani editor, and, most of all, level editor, for years, despite the fact that Apple has a site dedicated to Graal

Inverness 08-08-2008 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbk1994 (Post 1412381)
I'm with you, but unfortunately, Stefan has said Windows won't be getting offline RC updates, which means that Mac will NEVER get any kind of offline tools.

This is true, the only thing Mac will be getting is the external scripted windows when they're released in 2010.

excaliber7388 08-08-2008 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inverness (Post 1412386)
This is true, the only thing Mac will be getting is the external scripted windows when they're released in 2010.

Which, since they're still slow, are utterly useless.

cbk1994 08-08-2008 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excaliber7388 (Post 1412387)
Which, since they're still slow, are utterly useless.

They aren't TOO bad, but they need some improvement.

excaliber7388 08-08-2008 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbk1994 (Post 1412390)
They aren't TOO bad, but they need some improvement.

I doubt it will be any faster if it's running off of gs2.
I'd love to test it out more, but hey, I don't own or work for a server, so I can't do any development anymore.

God, I can't even remember how to make guis :(

cbk1994 08-08-2008 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excaliber7388 (Post 1412407)
I doubt it will be any faster if it's running off of gs2.
I'd love to test it out more, but hey, I don't own or work for a server, so I can't do any development anymore.

God, I can't even remember how to make guis :(

It is faster.

excaliber7388 08-08-2008 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbk1994 (Post 1412410)
It is faster.

On intel yes. Wow, it got faster when it was no longer running under emulation :rolleyes:
GS2 won't get fast enough after that. Not unless it's a native rc.
Same with the level editor (painfully slow).

cbk1994 08-08-2008 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excaliber7388 (Post 1412412)
On intel yes. Wow, it got faster when it was no longer running under emulation :rolleyes:
GS2 won't get fast enough after that. Not unless it's a native rc.
Same with the level editor (painfully slow).

I'm talking about the external windows. :rolleyes:

Inverness 08-08-2008 06:25 AM

Excaliber, please learn what about what you're talking about before you start sprouting off incorrect information about it.

Chris has beta tested the external windows for Mac, not you obviously.

DustyPorViva 08-08-2008 07:02 AM

Stefan just don't do external tools no more. Just gotta suck it up, I guess.

excaliber7388 08-08-2008 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inverness (Post 1412420)
Excaliber, please learn what about what you're talking about before you start sprouting off incorrect information about it.

Chris has beta tested the external windows for Mac, not you obviously.

And found them to be slower than the windows version, thus flawed.