Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Your opinion (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   Observer Mode. (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76175)

Rufus 08-09-2007 02:15 AM

Observer Mode.
 
What a load of rubbish.

I am personally finding this cop-out feature to be more irritating then innovative to encourage trial users to upgrade. Indeed, it may get a few extra account sales but it's more forcing people to upgrade than a good marketing scheme.

The observer mode feature annoys the hell out of new players, upgraded players, and staff members alike. For example, I am a Game Coordinator (Events Team) on Classic, and before this trial players used to enjoy the events that the team hosted. Right now, trial accounts hinder the development of most events, when they are frequently disappearing or pausing, and the staff can't even remove them due to this outside mode. Another example is when players and trial players are PKing each other, then being withdrawn. That is a prime example of how the players get irritated, and yet we expect them to be somewhat nice to new players. While I can only speak for Classic, I can imagine this is an issue widespread on Graal.

The trial players aren't getting the "full experience" and I understand that, but withdrawing them from the game while allowing them to watch is just frustrating, rather then playing on curiosity, or giving them access to the 'full members club'. I really dislike this concept and in my opinion, it is a genuinely poor decision.

DustyPorViva 08-09-2007 02:24 AM

I hate it, you can't even move around like you could in ghost. Just sit in trading GK watching people idle.
Not to mention I'm stuck in observers mode and never really got to play again at all. And I think it'd been a month, not sure... even if it hasn't been, it seems like a month is way too long to not let someone play again.

Admins 08-09-2007 11:09 AM

But there must be something that pushes people to upgrade. Before it was resetting players at each login, which was frustating when people see that they lost what they worked for and was not encouraging people to upgrade. Now it is switching people temporary into an observer mode. For important events it would be better to exclude trial players I guess.

Twinny 08-09-2007 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 1338487)
But there must be something that pushes people to upgrade. Before it was resetting players at each login, which was frustating when people see that they lost what they worked for and was not encouraging people to upgrade. Now it is switching people temporary into an observer mode. For important events it would be better to exclude trial players I guess.

Why do the trial's player objects need to hang around whilst in observer mode? They get in the way of pk'ing :frown:.

Admins 08-09-2007 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinny (Post 1338494)
Why do the trial's player objects need to hang around whilst in observer mode? They get in the way of pk'ing :frown:.

what do you mean?

Twinny 08-09-2007 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 1338500)
what do you mean?

I noticed serveral times on Zodiac and i believe a couple on Classic that when a trial goes to observer mode, it leaves the player image behind (i.e. the body, head etc). It's blocking so it gets in the way. Why does it leave the body?

Admins 08-09-2007 07:16 PM

normally the player should completely disappear

Stephen 08-09-2007 07:20 PM

Just give them so much gameplay a week - 5 hours of game play a week or something... that's an hour a day in the work week or a graal-mistpha on the weekend.

Crono 08-09-2007 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 1338487)
But there must be something that pushes people to upgrade.

Yeah, it's called good servers. Something Graal needs.

You keep updating new features for developers to use, but you're forgetting to add content. Something that new players will get addicted to, something that will make them want to upgrade.

When you guys first totally blocked out non-payers, you had Graal Kingdoms as a reason for people to upgrade. That was 2002. This is 2007, the only new Gold server is Zone and honestly that alone is not worth upgrading for (it was originally a classic server too). It's time you make a good, graphically pleasing, 2D server that will take the place of GK.

Crow 08-10-2007 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerami (Post 1338602)
Yeah, it's called good servers. Something Graal needs.

You keep updating new features for developers to use, but you're forgetting to add content. Something that new players will get addicted to, something that will make them want to upgrade.

When you guys first totally blocked out non-payers, you had Graal Kingdoms as a reason for people to upgrade. That was 2002. This is 2007, the only new Gold server is Zone and honestly that alone is not worth upgrading for (it was originally a classic server too). It's time you make a good, graphically pleasing, 2D server that will take the place of GK.

So totally signed.

Darlene159 08-10-2007 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerami (Post 1338602)
It's time you make a good, graphically pleasing, 2D server that will take the place of GK.

Totally agree.

DustyPorViva 08-10-2007 09:28 PM

I agree with that, but also propose removing Observer mode.
In place of observer mode, let the player play as if there is no hinderence... except that they can not interact with other players and there is no saving. It would be like a mix between the ghost mode and classic no saving. Of course, allot the player a few hours every week to actually play with no limitations. This way they can get a chance to play Graal to its full extent, but when that time runs out, not be left there with nothing to do.
I ran out of time and now stuck in observer mode. I never played Zone, and when I went to, I was stuck at the planet selection screen. Wow... what an experience that will give me to observe.

Rufus 08-10-2007 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustyPorViva (Post 1338813)
I agree with that, but also propose removing Observer mode.
In place of observer mode, let the player play as if there is no hinderence... except that they can not interact with other players

I completely and utterly disagree with this. In the past week, because I have shown some guys the ropes, and gave them some time three of them upgraded to p2p. The game relies on community, it's pretty weird to suggest that x_x

It might work if trials could see players, and could interact with staff/other trials, but again they're missing out on a lot of the integral parts of Graal's gameplay through that.

chiron077 08-10-2007 09:52 PM

I remember GK having trial island, Gold accounts were able to get off trial island. I think this worked pretty well for non p2p accounts (+ bomb is so full now).
For the classic servers it might be an idea to turn observer mode to ghost mode. This way there will be still some opportunities for the players, though limited. Sitting there just watching the screen isnt that motivating to buy a p2p imo.

DustyPorViva 08-10-2007 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufus (Post 1338815)
I completely and utterly disagree with this. In the past week, because I have shown some guys the ropes, and gave them some time three of them upgraded to p2p. The game relies on community, it's pretty weird to suggest that x_x

It might work if trials could see players, and could interact with staff/other trials, but again they're missing out on a lot of the integral parts of Graal's gameplay through that.

Did you even happen to read the rest of my post? You know, where I said give the player a few hours a week without any hinderence? What I suggested would be just like what they have now, except replace observer mode with no interaction.

Also, to say the game relies on community is true, but not to newbies. Newbies are treated like **** most of the time.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright (C) 1998-2019 Toonslab All Rights Reserved.