Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Level Design (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Activity: Blast from the Past (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80782)

DustyPorViva 07-24-2008 07:07 AM

Activity: Blast from the Past

2 Attachment(s)
Graal originated from Zelda III. Now, this was released all the way back in 1992... wow, over a decade ago! Of course, the levels are slightly dated.... just slightly.

So, here is the challenge, I want you to take the village of Kakariko, and completely revamp it. Add your own style, add your own touch, and fix those damn tile errors.

The catch is, which I think would be obvious, is you can't change the layout. You can't just make a house disappear, for example... you can change the house, but you can't delete it. Basically, I know this village by heart, and I want to be able to navigate your revamp exactly the same.

Anyways, I want to see your creative twists in here... the town square doesn't have to still be a square! It can be a circle! Or maybe even a pond! As long as there is something that resembles a town square there, I'll be happy. Those trees don't have to be trees, they can be cliffs! You can also add whatever NPC's you want, as well. If you feel like filling houses, go ahead! Oh, and exit points MUST remain the same. There are 5 points that leave the village, keep it that way, in the same places.

Now, I figure this will be pretty straight forward, but if you want me to make specific rules for it involving the points of interest, I will. I've attached a zip that contains the levels, gmap, and tileset and other odds and ends. If you want to use custom tiles, please do so via addtiledef2, and add it into the already current NPC's in each level made for that.

Once you're done, you can map it and post the map... though admittedly, it's terribly small. What I suggest is alt+1 each level and stitch them together to make a real 1:1 ratio map. If you want me to do that for you, just request it. Also, if you add any custom images AT ALL, leave them in the folder. Zip the folder and attach it here as well, I want to play the levels myself :)

Afterwards, I may turn this into a competition and put the submissions into a poll... if demand suggests it. Any questions, just post!

Clockwork 07-24-2008 07:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bigger image.

DustyPorViva 07-24-2008 07:26 AM

Elaborate? What do you need a bigger image of?

Clockwork 07-24-2008 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustyPorViva (Post 1407661)
Elaborate? What do you need a bigger image of?

Was posting an easier to see town. Didn't work for first time. you got me the moment it happened :P

DustyPorViva 07-24-2008 07:29 AM

Ahh. I could have posted a 1:1 image of the town, but I didn't think anyone needed that kind of detail as it's just to show the original town.

Clockwork 07-24-2008 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustyPorViva (Post 1407664)
Ahh. I could have posted a 1:1 image of the town, but I didn't think anyone needed that kind of detail as it's just to show the original town.

o.o;.... Thats a big image.

I would try to do this, though I fail at latting.

cbk1994 07-24-2008 07:53 AM

Sounds fun, I'll try :D

alcatis 07-24-2008 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was going to give it a try, but the tileset wont work for me.
Yse, I added the tileset to the tiles folder.

DustyPorViva 07-24-2008 05:08 PM

Just move the whole folder into the same folder as the Graal Editor and leave the tileset in the Kakariko folder.

alcatis 07-24-2008 05:17 PM

Ah, ok. THanks

That worked, thanks :P

Crono 07-24-2008 05:43 PM

Excellent thread Dusty. :pluffy:

edit-stickied

Rufus 07-24-2008 09:46 PM

Hahaha pretty cool activity, I'd never have thought of this. I might give it a shot.

Imperialistic 07-24-2008 10:14 PM

Good thinking, I was just about to scream at Crono to organize another Level Collab.

Crono 07-24-2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imperialistic (Post 1407966)
Good thinking, I was just about to scream at Crono to organize another Level Collab.

For the record, Darklux started that one. I just had to take it and organize it with Rufus' help. :)

Elk 07-24-2008 10:22 PM

So we have to make a tileset for it :O!?