Graal Forums

Graal Forums (http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classic Main Forum (http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   GC Studio Events (http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134265904)

ffcmike 03-07-2012 02:58 AM

GC Studio Events
 
As some may be aware, the new GC Studios were made public a couple of weeks ago, its new location being the level above level14/bank & burger refuge. The first studio event, Drunken Stupor/Make Your Luck has also now been made public.

While it is new and improved, and can be publicly hosted by any player likewise to the past, the new controls have been made in such a way that will allow them to be easily applied to most, if not all other single player events in future.



As said previously, I hope to publish specific plans regarding events, however I hoped to do so on a separate Classic specific forum, which is now just being delayed by a small technical hitch.

Crono 03-07-2012 03:32 AM

Atleast the location is at a better spot.

Also:

Quote:

Threads/posts which promote the use/consumption of alcohol or drugs will not be allowed, as well as other topics not necessarily suited for a younger audience such as sexuality or sexual involvement. Remember that Graal's user base consists a lot of young teenagers, and such subjects should not be discussed here.

maximus_asinus 03-07-2012 03:36 AM

I don't like the location of the studios, I would prefer a larger castle type level north of the city. The outside is very misleading and does not fit.

As for your progress, I am very happy. I remember a time when there wasn't GCs and all events were player hosted. Allowing players to host gets back to Classic's roots.

Fulg0reSama 03-07-2012 03:39 AM

@Crono
Some simple editting could turn it into an anti-alcohol bit.
Go for it mike, go!

ffcmike 03-07-2012 03:42 AM

Quote:

Threads/posts which promote the use/consumption of alcohol or drugs will not be allowed, as well as other topics not necessarily suited for a younger audience such as sexuality or sexual involvement. Remember that Graal's user base consists a lot of young teenagers, and such subjects should not be discussed here.
If this thread were to be in jeopardy due to this rule, I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry. Promoting the real life use of alcohol via conversation or photographic flaunting is a lot different to promoting harmless consumption of a (cartoon style) pixel beverage in a game, towards purposes of fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximus_asinus (Post 1687207)
I don't like the location of the studios, I would prefer a larger castle type level north of the city. The outside is very misleading and does not fit.

I don't think a large castle type building would fit along side the Graal City Castle within the current map, and we do not plan to expand the map for a while yet, which would also not be towards the north.

MattKan 03-09-2012 01:47 AM

Well the building does not really match the other buildings and looks extremely out of place. It's almost UN styled.

ffcmike 03-09-2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattKan (Post 1687459)
Well the building does not really match the other buildings

It never did, and was always supposed to stand out as something different. Just because the outside is not a traditional simplistic level does not mean it is a UN style level. If you mean this on the basis of it not being medieval, Classic is not strictly medieval.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattKan (Post 1687459)
It's almost UN styled

New Studios inside:

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/7...1251286.th.png


Old Studios inside:

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/3...studios.th.gif

This did stand out as something different at the time of the Studios first incarnation, but not after all these years of this type of tiling being adopted as the common style across almost all of Graal. I recall Night saying he wanted to redo the studios.

MattKan 03-09-2012 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffcmike (Post 1687463)
It never did, and was always supposed to stand out as something different. Just because the outside is not a traditional simplistic level does not mean it is a UN style level. If you mean this on the basis of it not being medieval, Classic is not strictly medieval.



New Studios inside:

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/7...1251286.th.png


Old Studios inside:

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/3...studios.th.gif

This did stand out as something different at the time of the Studios first incarnation, but not after all these years of this type of tiling being adopted as the common style across almost all of Graal. I recall Night saying he wanted to redo the studios.

It certainly looks better than the old image, but I was mainly referring to the outside: the level just doesn't seem right to me. It may have something to do with the hedges.

ffcmike 03-09-2012 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattKan (Post 1687480)
It certainly looks better than the old image, but I was mainly referring to the outside: the level just doesn't seem right to me. It may have something to do with the hedges.

I'm not sure how hedges could be interpreted as being UN style above a metallic/stone structure, but the reason they're used is actually a testament to what was in this location throughout the post NPC-Server years:

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/2...ymhouse.th.gif

Galdor 03-09-2012 03:55 AM

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็W̟͗̔̾ h̊ͨ̽ͨ҉̞̲̲̬̖̯a͔̬̗̣͗̒̾̾̎ͪ͛̕t̮̖̘̹͇͊ͥ̑ͬ̊̚'̺̩ͣ͆̾̾ͨͤ͌s̸̫ ͓̲̼ ̣̋̉̎̈́͗ͪ́g̺̫ͦ͋ó̞͈̟̳̓ḯ̒ͮͅn͚̝̱̳͙͎̞̿͆̄̇̚̕g̓͊͛͗ͦ̊ͫ҉͍̦ ̥͔̭̙ ̫̯̙͍̤̼̩ͣ̆͛́ͨ̒o̺̳̰͒̑n̩̖̪͖̫̣͗̈́ ̜͙̫̼̺̑͘h̡̲͚̮͔́ͪ̆̽e̢̟͓͔̖r̛̟̘̰̝̻e̥?̭̤̤̼ ͔̱̏ͥ͊͒̔̉͝ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ ็็็็

maximus_asinus 03-09-2012 04:02 AM

No, MattKan is absolutely right on this. It is one thing to try and make something stand out, it is another thing to make something that clashes. This is what I meant in my previous post. The GC studios just doesn't look like it should be there. Basically the GC studio exterior is equivalent to a hot pink and you're trying to put it on a painting of green rolling hills and saying it is an improvement.

Since you're all for modern design here is my suggestions. I always pictured something like this to resemble a movie set within a large warehouse. Maybe a reception area leading into a large area with moveable walls that pieced differently based on the event (like a movie set), or separate rooms for each individual event (basically like the interior is now). The exterior would be large and since it is supposed to be huge attraction it would be treated as such. Maybe it would resemble a large theater with the studios on a big sign, maybe even different posters with the event in progress on them. If I were to have simple text, I would have it in stationary black lettering on a white background like you see at the theaters. I would have a GAT do this though and not have it scripted because the results are usually ugly. Most of all, I would try to stick with the pallet in use. Personally I would have browns or blue with red accents for the roof.

ffcmike 03-09-2012 04:18 AM

It can eventually be improved to look both more unique and fitting, right now the exterior is essentially the same as it always was, except with a perimeter of hedge to allow it to blend with grass, and also retain that little bit of familiarity due to Tony Montana's house being there previously. Yes it is far from ideal, but I don't see it as a huge clash in the way that is being made out, if anything the Studios are meant to be something of a quirk.
I would also place more importance on the location of the building over the size of it.

Devil_Lord2 03-09-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffcmike (Post 1687209)
If this thread were to be in jeopardy due to this rule, I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry. Promoting the real life use of alcohol via conversation or photographic flaunting is a lot different to promoting harmless consumption of a (cartoon style) pixel beverage in a game, towards purposes of fun.

I don't see the difference.. I believe if every game used this comment as their own many games would allow alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, and sex..

You'd be amazed with how much the media can influence people lol..

Especially making a game out of something that isn't necessarily good.


I think a better argument would be that the graphics were used in the past and thought of okay, they should be okay now "then leave it at that". Since it really isn't a good thing. o.o

Or better yet, have the liquid in the cup unnamed, which would fix everything..

DustyPorViva 03-09-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffcmike (Post 1687209)
If this thread were to be in jeopardy due to this rule, I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry. Promoting the real life use of alcohol via conversation or photographic flaunting is a lot different to promoting harmless consumption of a (cartoon style) pixel beverage in a game, towards purposes of fun.

http://dustyshouri.dreamhosters.com/...noobsig_47.png

ffcmike 03-10-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil_Lord2 (Post 1687587)
I don't see the difference.. I believe if every game used this comment as their own many games would allow alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, and sex..

I think you have to consider whether the in game visual is comparable to the real life equivalent.

Sexual intercourse is in general morally wrong for a young child to witness in real life, so regardless of whether the first person character of a game is invoking such action, it's obvious that a young child should not be witnessing that.

In terms of drinking a beer or smoking a cigarette all that's happening in game is that you're seeing an avatar consume them. Is it wrong for a child to merely see another person in real life drink alcohol or smoke?


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (C) 1998-2008 Linux cyberjoueurs All Rights Reserved.