Graal Forums

Graal Forums (http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Feature request (http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   Admin Elections! :D (http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134258721)

fowlplay4 04-11-2010 02:44 AM

Having an election is just a waste of time, and going to extent to include player opinions into the election just drags it further, and the fact that you suggest that it should be a yearly repeatable event just adds for more wasted time.

If a server really needs a new server manager the PWA will/should take the appropriate action required.

salesman 04-11-2010 02:52 AM

You should have an election, and then give the person who got the least number of votes manager...they'd probably do the best job.

LoneAngelIbesu 04-11-2010 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fowlplay4 (Post 1568419)
If a server really needs a new server manager the PWA will/should take the appropriate action required.

The PWA's decisions aren't always the greatest. The people they picked to replace Clash didn't do well at all.

Grey 04-11-2010 04:12 AM

Elections for manager, no. Elections for PR related positions? Possibly.

Crono 04-11-2010 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaDaFack (Post 1568393)
Than how do countries work? Doesn't every president/priminister want to run the country there own way into a different direction?

too bad game management isnt a democracy huh? lets have an election for CEO positions as well, thats how countries are run right?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu (Post 1568431)
The PWA's decisions aren't always the greatest. The people they picked to replace Clash didn't do well at all.

Clash didn't really do anything but kill the server on purpose and then make demands for his new Valikorlia. Also most of Valikorlia are staff anyway so "voting" for your manager works. Doesn't work so well on servers with an actual playercount though.

DarkCloud_PK 04-11-2010 09:13 AM

funny thing is, as terrible as the idea is, if it were implemented for Classic after the loss of Tyhm, Classic would have probably been better off.

Door 04-11-2010 02:28 PM

But seriously now gentlemen, I could see indirect elections being implemented--allowing players to place in non-public votes, then relying on the globals to act as the Electoral College. Voting should never be used to directly place someone into power, but to give globals an idea of how players feel? I don't see why not! (Well, I don't see why not when I factor out all the possibilities of this sort of thing going very badly. I just think it could be fun if given the right amount of credence.)

Crono 04-11-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkCloud_PK (Post 1568452)
funny thing is, as terrible as the idea is, if it were implemented for Classic after the loss of Tyhm, Classic would have probably been better off.

Well thats the thing. It will work on small servers but it does not scale well onto medium-large sized ones. Smaller servers have a really easy time weeding out idiots (i.e val's xenophobia) but on servers like UN the clueless are the majority.

Bell 04-11-2010 05:40 PM

Popularity contest aside, if there were an electoral process, qualified applicants would spend a year campaigning for themselves instead of working on the server.

Bad idea.

Old_Days 04-11-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey (Post 1568441)
Elections for manager, no. Elections for PR related positions? Possibly.

Yes I like this, players should have some say in who is going to be patrolling them.

CharlieM 04-11-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old_Days (Post 1568494)
Yes I like this, players should have some say in who is going to be patrolling them.

He means "Player Relations" as in the real term, not Era and Zodiacs term..

Old_Days 04-11-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieM (Post 1568500)
He means "Player Relations" as in the real term, not Era and Zodiacs term..

What the definition of the "real term" im confused...

CharlieM 04-11-2010 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old_Days (Post 1568502)
What the definition of the "real term" im confused...

Player Relations, isn't supposed to enforce anything, There job is to improve relations between staff and players, so its people like events team, faq.

DustyPorViva 04-11-2010 07:04 PM

WaDaFack is his ****ing account name, genius.

LoneAngelIbesu 04-11-2010 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crono (Post 1568450)
Clash didn't really do anything but kill the server on purpose and then make demands for his new Valikorlia. Also most of Valikorlia are staff anyway so "voting" for your manager works. Doesn't work so well on servers with an actual playercount though.

You're basing all of this off of the current situation of Valikorlia. Back when we voted for Omake to be manager, we had a playercount 2 or 3 times greater than the one we have now on our best days, even eclipsing UN every now and then. We also had a smaller staff team than we have now. So, no, most of the players were not staff members.

Also, Omake did not come directly after Clash. The PWA (Bell, I think) removed Clash from his position. First to replace him, I think, was some kind of combination of Clash-era admins -- Zangus, maybe Setzer and some others. Then it was Amo, who let Aren (a NAT) take control of everything. Then somehow Army became manager, and he did a whole lot of nothing. Once Army quit, his co-manager decided to hold a vote for new management. The server was actually quite split between the two groups, who came to the campaign with new directions for the server and the experience and ability to pull everything off. We voted in Omake and things have been doing great, development-wise.

Also, just to reiterate, our playercount was considerably larger during that time, right up there with the current average playercounts of Zodiac and Era. So it can be done for 'medium-large' scale servers. The players simply have to know what they want and the people running for manager have to be able to deliver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bell (Post 1568490)
Popularity contest aside, if there were an electoral process, qualified applicants would spend a year campaigning for themselves instead of working on the server.

Bad idea.

Are you really equating campaigns for manager of a GraalOnline server to a real-life campaign for political office? What do you think a GraalOnline campaign would consist of? Town hall meetings, party conventions, appearing on television news? I don't think it's even possible to spend all of your time campaigning to be a server manager, unless you only play Graal for like 15 minutes a day.