Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Graal Main Forum (English) (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New Windows Client (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134256134)

Unkownsoldier 09-20-2009 12:22 AM

New Windows Client

This needs to be realesed soon, at least as a beta client. I don't care if there are bugs. With the current vista version I have playing Graal is impossible, I can't move, pk, spar, play events, ect. This has gotten really old really fast. So therefore, I really need the client now, otherwise there is no way I can keep playing under the circumstances. It's not very fun when it takes you 45 seconds to move through ONE level. So seriously, lets go.

Matt 09-20-2009 03:21 AM

That's asking a whole lot.

DustyPorViva 09-20-2009 03:27 AM

The Windows client is behind in the Mac client... and to be honest why would you worry about Beta? It's beta for a reason. It's to find bugs, and most of the time there are quite a few and some can be annoying enough to not really want to use it. I have the external windows client and I never touch it.

fowlplay4 09-20-2009 03:42 AM

You should just dualboot a different OS, like 7, XP, maybe a linux distro?

Disable Aero or something, it's probably your comp's fault, I haven't an issue with Graal on Vista.

Crono 09-20-2009 03:45 AM

The new Graal version doesn't fix this issue, atleast not on the beta I was using. I experienced a lot of slowdowns on my midrange laptop, however when I had Vista on my PC it was fine. Windows 7 seems to run it more smoothly though, I'll let the forum know how it goes when I install it on my laptop. :redface:

DustyPorViva 09-20-2009 03:52 AM

I do use the external windows on terrain maps like GK though, as there is a significant increase in speed. It's also a bit faster on gmaps and with particles, I think.

cbk1994 09-20-2009 04:07 AM

The Mac version is really close to being done, but Stefan's said that the Windows client is way behind. I have no idea about the Linux client, but I really don't think that one's worth developing, anyway.

DustyPorViva 09-20-2009 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbk1994 (Post 1523995)
The Mac version is really close to being done, but Stefan's said that the Windows client is way behind. I have no idea about the Linux client, but I really don't think that one's worth developing, anyway.

I think Skyld said the Windows version is somewhat behind, but mainly it's just not being compiled as much as the Mac. So from what I gathered, it's not THAT behind, only in compiling.

WhiteDragon 09-20-2009 04:16 AM

Quote:

I have no idea about the Linux client, but I really don't think that one's worth developing, anyway.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo

Tigairius 09-20-2009 05:00 AM

Quote:

The Linux client is always at the same level or better than the Mac client. So one could assume that the Linux client is practically done, just like the Mac client.

WhiteDragon 09-20-2009 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigairius (Post 1524002)
So one could assume that the Linux client is practically done, just like the Mac client.

Yessssssss

Elk 09-20-2009 08:10 AM

Quote:

Linux Cyberjoueurs

xXziroXx 09-20-2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crono (Post 1523993)
Windows 7 seems to run it more smoothly though, I'll let the forum know how it goes when I install it on my laptop. :redface:

I can confirm this. When I had Vista on this laptop, I could barely play Graal. Since I upgraded to Windows 7, I've been able to play without any lag at all on the same laptop. :)

Umat 09-20-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigairius (Post 1524002)
The Linux client is always at the same level or better than the Mac client. So one could assume that the Linux client is practically done, just like the Mac client.

This is probably because Stefan use Linux on his computer.

Also, it isn't THAT hard to compile a game for multiple OS'es if you did the code right in the first place. If you can code you can do that with a little to no effort.

I think he's going to wait with windows version bugfixes until he's done with the new additions to the client and fixing the problems for the other OS'es first.

Skyld 09-20-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umat (Post 1524025)
Also, it isn't THAT hard to compile a game for multiple OS'es if you did the code right in the first place. If you can code you can do that with a little to no effort.

Compiling for Mac OS X and Linux is very easy because they are both UNIX-esque operating systems, they can use nearly all the same function calls and libraries (apart from, of course, using X11 on Linux and Cocoa on OS X but that is quite a small portion of code in reality). Windows, on the other hand, is actually nothing like either OS X or Linux, meaning that things have to be done differently (even things like using DirectX by default) and it takes more time to make the same codebase compatible with Windows.

In the Mac client, the main things that need to be done are bug fixes, which Stefan's been working through. After having done that, he will most likely be able to put more time into fixing it up on Windows too.