PDA

View Full Version : Grass?

ownerofbabylon
08-07-2001, 04:43 AM
I was wondering what are the best ways to do grass? Is it better to leave them whole and place them around or to put who ones and also a lot of chopped up ones (halves)

ZORG1986
08-10-2001, 12:33 AM
Its scary to think my Asst LAT Admin is asking these questions

Fai
08-10-2001, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by ownerofbabylon
I was wondering what are the best ways to do grass? Is it better to leave them whole and place them around or to put who ones and also a lot of chopped up ones (halves)

You mean the weeds?

IMO, the weeds are ugly in masses :(

I like chopped swamp tiles better scattered around, with little grass rocks and stuff.

RawPower
08-10-2001, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by ownerofbabylon

Think of real weeds, are they spread our in little patches or spread out i big patches?

ownerofbabylon
08-10-2001, 01:21 AM
Grr, Im asking this because some people like whole weeds and it looks better in my opinion but with some chopped up weeds in them so it doesnt look to perfect. I am only asking to see what everyone thinks, im not asking cuz i dont know how to do them ZORG

Lycia
08-10-2001, 03:40 PM
I have found that if you try and make it seem more natural instead of "hand planted" that you'll get a better effect.

Like, don't put bushes in forest areas like:

BUSH BUSH BUSH BUSH BUSH BUSH BUSH

Instead, go:

BUSH BUSH

BUSH BUSH
BUSH
BUSH BUSH

If its in a town, then the first one would be appropriate since the "owners" of the houses would be maintaining their properties.

Also, try not to use the grass sprouts like: \/ too much. Try and alternate how you lay then like: /\//\\///\\\\///

That way you get more of a natural feeling instead of the "planted" feel again.

The kubol and roosh sprouts are okay, if used in moderation. Because they are block tiles, it makes it very hard for the player to navigate through the level, so use them sparingly. Same with stones.

The little "dot" tile should only be used around swampy areas. I consider that to be a "moss" patch, and because swampy areas are moist, moss is appropriate there.

Flowers should be used sparingly also. Too many of them over power the level ESPECIALLY if they are the "animated" tile variety. Just a few here and there are fine.

As far as swamp tiles go, use them where there are water sources. Too many people use them as grass in front of houses, but, thats not what they are for. Its a SWAMP tile. How many houses do you see in real life with swamps in front of their houses? :)

And last, but not least, trees. Trees should be used to compliment a level, not to fill in spaces that you can't decide what to do with. Also, try not to have trees lined up against the edges of levels, because if you do that to every level, you're going to get the "grid" effect, and its not natural that way.

Anyway, I hope this has helped you out.

This is just my opinion of what I think looks good in a level.

:)

toad1413
08-11-2001, 02:25 PM
Yep, that's a good way of doing it. That's how I do it.:)

ownerofbabylon
08-12-2001, 08:31 AM
Thanks a lot, thats pretty much how I do it, i was just seeing how everyone else did

LiquidIce00
08-12-2001, 10:03 AM
if u wanna be original then do whatever u like..
if u wanna do the THATS AWESOME style which like I said 20930293 times its getting old then put swamp everywhere wit grass and some weed and rock and dirt to water patches..
^_^

yoshee15
08-12-2001, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by LiquidIce00
if u wanna be original then do whatever u like..
if u wanna do the THATS AWESOME style which like I said 20930293 times its getting old then put swamp everywhere wit grass and some weed and rock and dirt to water patches..
^_^

Its not getting old.....the other styles look like CRAP this way has a way better look and doesnt look empty and plain and doesnt force you to keep putting grass in all the empty spots

ownerofbabylon
08-12-2001, 02:01 PM
atleast im on someones ***** list. Thanks man.

Sorry to get off topic but umm liquid ice. I have been in jail 2 months on UN and i did nothing wrong. There was a NPC that said touch me to look like a pimp and I did and it warped me into jail. Please help!!!