PDA

View Full Version : Divine Darkness is back and hiring!

Jimbo33
07-15-2009, 06:23 AM
http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/3711/top.png

Hi guys! Divine Darkness is finally back and now hiring!

The server used to be under the account of iKee04 and owned/paid by iKee04 and Jimbo33.
It is now under the account of Jimbo33 and owned/paid by Jimbo33 and bongo77.
iKee04 keeps his ownership since he has paid over 150$ to keep the server up last year. :)

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8620/screen2bon.png

One month has passed now and a lot has happened,

First, we started working with the same tileset we used last year, waiting for Stefan to send in the old backup. Everything was going really fast! Then we got the backup and things went even faster.

Until we realized we should make our server completely different from default stuff:

Custom Characters
Completely Customised Tileset
Custom Taskbar
Custom Profiles
Custom Inventory

Everything...

After officializing this idea, I made a backup of the ''new'' Divine Darkness, and started working on the ''new new'' Divine Darkness.
( xD )

Looks great like that, but it's a LOT of work, and with the small staff team we had, it was not easy, we had me who could do a little bit of everything, Bongo who could make levels, and Mog who handled the main scripting job.

I've done my best to get a tileset up without any real Graphics Artist.
I've made my best and couldn't continue since the rest of the job was too hard for me. I would usually have gone back to making levels, but the tileset doesn't have enough for any village to be designed.

What is Divine Darkness?

Divine Darkness is an adventure/traveling based server.
The whole thing will be based on a strong storyline, players will go through many quests to achieve their goal, while PvP'ing, playing events, getting involved in guild wars, doing numberous jobs like salesman, miner, fisher, scientist, etc..

There will be many islands to travel to by boat, or maybe by flight?
We could say that every island has to be ''unlocked'' by the player for them to travel to it.

We want the players to get attracted by the story of the game, not just the gameplay.

The storyline is still under developement, I'll post it when it's done.

That's why I'm asking you guys for some big help!
We're hiring all Developement Staff positions;

-Graphic Artists
-Gani Artists
-Level Designers
-Scripters
-Music/Sound Artists

Do NOT ask to be GP, FAQ or ET, you will be rejected anyways.

Here are two screenis, these are test levels, as you can see there is not much to detail them, so for now the Level Designing is put aside until a GOOD Graphic Artist can get something done out of this tileset :)

Also, you can notice the taskbar, it will be used to display stuff such as Player Stats, Quest Logs, Maps, Player Options, Staff Tools, etc...

The icons on the left of the screen are the actual staff tools.

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/6986/screen1j.png

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/5144/screen3r.png

So if you are interested, PLEASE contact me or bongo in game or:

Via e-mail
Jimbo: [email protected]
Bongo: [email protected]

Via MSN
Bongo: [email protected]

In game (Server: Divine Darkness)
Jimbo (Jimbo33)
Bongo (bongo77)

Or you can PM me via the forums ^^

Hope to see at least one of you guys offer help :)

Thanks,

Jimbo, Owner of Divine Darkness

maximus_asinus
07-15-2009, 06:49 AM
could you post some screenshots of the various functions of that taskbar and menu?

Jimbo33
07-15-2009, 06:52 AM
Only the staff tools are scripted so far, and after that we tought it would be more important to work on the attack system, other functions of the taskbar will come in time :)

For the staff tools icons on the left, there's
Boots, Update Level, Staff Tag, Warpto system, Summon system, and Dragger.

When taskbar functions are scripted, I'll post screenshots of them :P

Jimbo33
07-22-2009, 02:22 AM
All those screenshots aren't good anymore, we got rid of that taskbar, and made a new sidebar, with much nicer icons, and way better functions.
Plus, we now use a new tileset, completely different to this one.

I'll post new stuff soon.

If you're interested in helping, contact me (bongo is away for 2 weeks):

Via e-mail

Via MSN

In game (Server: Divine Darkness)
Jimbo (Jimbo33)

Or you can PM me via the forums

Thanks,

Jimbo, Owner of Divine Darkness

Jimbo33
07-26-2009, 09:00 PM
Alright, I still don't have any screenshots of the new sidebar, but you can log on Divine Darkness and see yourself.
(Move your mouse to the left for the sidebar to appear)

We have now come up with a few ideas, which are not the final ideas, and we can still add more, these are just IDEAS.

We'd like you guys to comment them, maybe add to them, change them, criticize them, etc. :)

Economy
Every town/village/city would have its economy, all the gold a player would spend in shops or earn from shops by buying/selling items would be added/removed from the town's total money.

Example: Syntheria's economy is being very low these days, it has now reached 0.
Jimbo wants to sell one of his items at the Item Store in Syntheria, but can't, since
the shop won't have any gold to give in. Jimbo has to go in another town to sell
his item.

Classes
The player's class wouldn't be chosen at the very begining. The player will be able to first use a 'newbie sword', 'newbie bow', 'newbie etc.'. Before choseing which class suits his gameplay the best.

Base Classes: Swordsman, Bowman, Spell Caster, Theif, etc...

There will be class upgrades, like a swordsman could become a gladiator or a paladin, a spell caster could become a summoner or an elementor, etc.

Elements
Later during the adventure, the player will be able to chose an element. He will then see some guy and tell him he wants to learn X element. He will then be given a key to a temple of X element and will have to get through the dangers of that temple and perhaps a boss before getting something (maybe an elemental orb?) which will grant him upgraded powers using X element's weapons.

Elements: Fire, Water, Air, Earth

Island Traveling
Players will be able to travel from island to island by boat (need to buy a ticket which will not be so expensive), by swiming (for certain islands), or even by underground caves.

+Idea: Players could be able to buy small boats with one or more seats.

Dungeons
There won't be any meaningless dungeons only used for leveling, unlike many RPG servers. Every dungeon will have a meaning to the storyline.

Temples
These will be the most important parts of the player's adventure. The main goal being to complete every temple and get the the main goal of the adventure.

Mini Quests
There will be many, many, many mini quests. Such as 'Suzy wants an apple, go and get one for her' (just an example xD). These mini-quests would not be needed to complete the main quest, but will provide helpful stuff like gold, books, food, etc.

Monster Assaults
At some time, a group of monsters would come and assault a town, maybe when the town has X players into it, or maybe something else. This would be fun since players would have to help each other to get rid of the monsters. Any town activities (shopping, banking, etc.) would be paused until players got rid of every monster.

Waiting for your positive responses and help :)

Stryke
07-29-2009, 10:30 AM
Make it so you can have battles in the sea with cannons like real pirates.
I've yet to see a pirate playerworld..

Pelikano
07-29-2009, 12:55 PM

Not enough players, or do you mean NPCs?

Elk
07-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Not enough players, or do you mean NPCs?

Why not enough players?
Do you know that registration isnt limited? ;) Don't feel special because you're one of them "players"

Pelikano
07-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Why not enough players?
Do you know that registration isnt limited? ;) Don't feel special because you're one of them "players"

Try to use your 190 IQ (as you claim it's that high, however I think it's lower than cow-****) and read it again Mr.Iknowandcandoeverythingbetterthanyou.

There's just not enough players to have a sea fight going on all day, players capturing other boats etc.

kia345
07-29-2009, 03:25 PM

Me neither!

Except, you know, the main server!

edt: oh well he said playerworld, I guess that means I'm wrong

fowlplay4
07-29-2009, 04:24 PM
How will your protect your town communities from losing all their gold? Personally if I knew I could do that, I would begin taking gold out of their economy and not putting it back in.

Elk
07-29-2009, 06:04 PM
Try to use your 190 IQ (as you claim it's that high, however I think it's lower than cow-****) and read it again Mr.Iknowandcandoeverythingbetterthanyou.

There's just not enough players to have a sea fight going on all day, players capturing other boats etc.

Well it shows that you have no idea about games development strategies and the path to a successful game...that is all :)

DustyPorViva
07-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Are the graphics in the first picture stolen? There are a lot of inconsistancies that make no sense... for example the ladder uses a very light outline(lighter than the ladder itself, and definitely lighter against the cliffs), and there seems to be some heavy difference in quality between objects.

Regardless, an edit I made of some changes I think could be done to make it look more appealing. Mainly color changes... also think the cliffs could do without the dithering on the dirt, it's way too noisy and distracting.
http://i25.tinypic.com/1076zuw.png

Elk
07-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Are the graphics in the first picture stolen? There are a lot of inconsistancies that make no sense... for example the ladder uses a very light outline(lighter than the ladder itself, and definitely lighter against the cliffs), and there seems to be some heavy difference in quality between objects.

Regardless, an edit I made of some changes I think could be done to make it look more appealing. Mainly color changes... also think the cliffs could do without the dithering on the dirt, it's way too noisy and distracting.
http://i25.tinypic.com/1076zuw.png

RMXP tiles, I think placeholders

Pelikano
07-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Well it shows that you have no idea about games development strategies and the path to a successful game...that is all :)

That doesn't have anything to do with our conversation, changing topics eh?

Dude, you fail.

Elk
07-29-2009, 08:37 PM

Dude, you fail.

Game development strategies do have to do something with "not enough players"

Fail returned.

kia345
07-29-2009, 09:01 PM

Dude, you fail.

Your conversation has nothing to with the topic, shut up and quit hassling Elk.

Jimbo33
07-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Dusty, read my second post, I know this tileset had stuff from RMXP, but like I said we're now using an EDITED CLASSIC TILESET.

All those screenshots aren't good anymore, we got rid of that taskbar, and made a new sidebar, with much nicer icons, and way better functions.
Plus, we now use a new tileset, completely different to this one.

No more RMXP edits.

And the new sidebar es muy sexy, go see yourself :)

I'll post new screenshots soon

Jimbo33
07-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Your conversation has nothing to with the topic, shut up and quit hassling Elk.

That's true, out of 2 pages of posts, only Stryke was able to give a good idea, which is a pretty good one though :)

Pelikano
07-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Elk started the conversation, I posted on topic ;).

I'll say one more thing and shut up.

Mr. Genius if you had enough Game Development Strategies, Crystia wouldn't have ended like that.

EDIT: Don't want to be banned from the forums, because Elk cries to Darlene >.<

FaLLChiLD
07-30-2009, 12:53 AM

Mr. Genius if you had enough Game Development Strategies, Crystia wouldn't have ended like that.

You fail if you have to resort to sexual orientation as a comeback.

Pelikano
07-30-2009, 01:17 AM
You fail if you have to resort to sexual orientation as a comeback.

It has another message aswell, uh-ah open your eyes.

Damn I said I'd stfu >.<

Elk
07-30-2009, 07:50 AM

EDIT: Don't want to be banned from the forums, because Elk cries to Darlene >.<

I don't cry lol, I'm righteous ;)

Also, do not talk about things you know nothing about, Crystia simply hadn't enough developers to finish, at that point you may be true but just because I am so selective (there arn't many good developers here that fit the gaps)

papajchris
07-30-2009, 08:02 AM
It has another message aswell, uh-ah open your eyes.

Damn I said I'd stfu >.<

Why aren't you banned yet? You are no benefit to have around and only cause trouble.

Soala
07-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Reminds me of some dude around trying to defend his point of view knowing it's pure fail

(OMG ? EXHAUSTED ?!)

Pelikano
07-30-2009, 01:37 PM
I don't cry lol, I'm righteous ;)

Also, do not talk about things you know nothing about, Crystia simply hadn't enough developers to finish, at that point you may be true but just because I am so selective (there arn't many good developers here that fit the gaps)

Then your Game Development Strategies failed, because you couldn't find any "good" developers?

Oh, oh wait! You're saying the Developers are not good enough for you? I see, I see.

Pelikano
07-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Why aren't you banned yet? You are no benefit to have around and only cause trouble.

kry

Pelikano
07-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Reminds me of some dude around trying to defend his point of view knowing it's pure fail

(OMG ? EXHAUSTED ?!)

My point is not fail, it's obviously his.

There are not enough players that'd play such a pirate themed server to make it actually succed.

Elk
07-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Then your Game Development Strategies failed, because you couldn't find any "good" developers?

Oh, oh wait! You're saying the Developers are not good enough for you? I see, I see.

Yes, I'm saying the Developers do not meet my high standards. And I clarified that ages ago, which is why we barely hired anyone.

The good developers cost money, and when you create a game from nothing, you need sponsors, and then you can start investing, thats how Game Developing goes, the rest is hype and game design in general.

Pelikano
07-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Yes, I'm saying the Developers do not meet my high standards. And I clarified that ages ago, which is why we barely hired anyone.

The good developers cost money, and when you create a game from nothing, you need sponsors, and then you can start investing, thats how Game Developing goes, the rest is hype and game design in general.

Well, if that's the case then EVERY Game Development Strategies will fail on Graal.

That's pretty much the sad truth anyway, that's why Graal doesn't have any "new" players, it fails.

You have to pay money to play Graal, meaning they actually earn something, yet they don't have money to put up any ads?

However, this is all offtopic anyway, I wish you good luck with your Server.

Elk
07-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Well, if that's the case then EVERY Game Development Strategies will fail on Graal.

That's pretty much the sad truth anyway, that's why Graal doesn't have any "new" players, it fails.

You have to pay money to play Graal, meaning they actually earn something, yet they don't have money to put up any ads?

However, this is all offtopic anyway, I wish you good luck with your Server.

That is my point, some of the rules of graalonline make it impossible to i.e advertise for sponsors or the likes, so the moneyflow = 0.

DuBsTeRmAn
07-30-2009, 01:54 PM
I also talked to Stefan about advertising, They could sell like T-Shirts or posters..
Or hang up posters in shops (irl) and that would possibly get more players..

Or get adds on other games yes

Pelikano
07-30-2009, 01:56 PM
I also talked to Stefan about advertising, They could sell like T-Shirts or posters..

I think the best thing would be to put Graal to a "Best MMORPG" site and make the players constantly vote for Gelats, etc.

papajchris
07-30-2009, 03:58 PM

Graal had t-shirts and other items that i can't remember

Elk
07-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Coffee-Cups ;)

Akira_P2P
07-30-2009, 04:52 PM
This server seems like it has an overall good plan, I'd like to know some more details about the overall structure, though. I'm an LAT and I find it relaxing to work with a smooth tileset rather than the sharpness of pics1.png.

Sidenote: zeus, a year of xbox live is free ;), you know those starter kits? They come with already activated 12-months, all you have to do is cut into one of them and you got a free 12-month.

Jimbo33
07-31-2009, 12:42 AM
Update!

Our main Scripter was working on a custom character (since none offered help as a GAT), and we wouldn't say if we'd use it or not until we see the result.

The front idle was made, and it's pretty good, so for now we'll go with custom characters unless something goes wrong or too many people find them ugly.

So with those new characters, we will need a new tileset to fit with them.
The same scripter who made the character's graphics said he could help make the tileset, but that would give him a **** load of work to do with the systems he's currently scripting.

So once again, we are in a big need of a GOOD Graphics Artist, who is willing to make a completely custom tileset.

If you would like to help with Graphics, but don't like making tilesets, we still need you! We have a looooot of weapons, items, icons, and more to make!

Also, we will need a Gani artist as soon as the new characters' sprites are done.

Jimbo33
07-31-2009, 12:48 AM
This server seems like it has an overall good plan, I'd like to know some more details about the overall structure, though. I'm an LAT and I find it relaxing to work with a smooth tileset rather than the sharpness of pics1.png.

Like I said in my update, we will need someone to make a completely new tileset, so you can guess we're not hiring LAT yet.

And what do you mean by overall structure?
The server's type is Adventure, and some Role Playing. From the start, players will be thrown into some big adventure (which is being written :)), and there will be many many many many quests, temples, dungeons and what not! There will still be possible PvP even though every player has to go through the adventure, we will also have guild wars, events, challenges, tournaments, and such, so that even if you're tired of questing, you can still go and have fun with other players. :D