PDA

View Full Version : i built a minigame, would like feedback.

johny023
07-10-2009, 06:22 PM
before i forget, Tigairius gave me permission to post this and told me to post it here.

i built a minigame for the offline editor that i think turned out fairly good, but i would like more then just me and my friends opinions. so feedback would be appreciated. :)

in this game you start off in a completely destructible house (it's just a 1 room building but it works,) and you can call in a helicopter to drop you ammo, grenades, and guns as you hold off the waves of zombies that are attacking you. every wave the zombies get faster, they get more health, and more of them come. you very slowly start getting overrun, one wave you lose a wall or 2, the next you lose 3-4 more walls, and it keeps getting worse until you eventually die or make a big mistake that causes you to die instantly.

*** i did not make any of the images, sounds, or music for this game, i only did the script and the level, so credit for that goes to the people who made made them. most if the images i used where from Graal Kingdoms, Zone, and Zodiac, sorry i have no clue where i got the sounds/music from

enemies, there's only 4 enemies but besides a ranged zombie there isn't much else that could be added. (you have 100 health)

1. Zombie, image from Graal Kingdoms
speed normal,starting much slower then you.
damage 30
health average

2. Zombie Termites, (wave 5) image from Graal Kingdoms
speed normal, starting slower then you
damage 1 only attacks walls, and takes them down very fast if left unnoticed.
health very low

3. Bomy Zombie, (wave 10) image from Graal Kingdoms
speed fast, starting faster then you
damage 10
health low

4. Dragon Zombie, (wave20) image from Zodiac
speed slow, starting slower then you.
damage 70
health very high

since it's a forum rule that you can't attach .exe files the Graal Editor is not in the zip folder, you will have to copy and paste yours into the folder after you un-zip it. i did a quick test to make sure that it would work if you copied a new Graal Editor into the folder and ran into a small problem, any file that wasn't in the main folder wasn't being read so i had to move all the files into the main folder, sorry about the mess.
to find the graal editor just click in the folder and type in graaleditor and it will jump to the editor. to play the game open up the level "start" and click play, yes it's a blank level but it sets the correct animations and background stuff, it will put you into the game after a second. the game is best played in full screen mode, and make sure caps lock is off. :)

feel free to post what you think, any glitches you find (there shouldn't be any but you never know,) and what the highest wave you got to was :D

Gambet
07-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Sounds like Left 4 Dead mixed with CoD: WaW. Pretty interesting, I'll check it out when I get the chance.

fowlplay4
07-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Neat, but the game feels like it progress a little slowly at the start. It'd be nice if the health GUI stayed in the top right corner of the screen.

johny023
07-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Neat, but the game feels like it progress a little slowly at the start. It'd be nice if the health GUI stayed in the top right corner of the screen.

yeah it is a bit slow the first 5 waves, i started it off slow as a warm up :)

but the GUI doesn't stay in the top right corner? i don't know how it's supposed to be done, but i scripted it to set it's x and y value to where the corner should be based on where the player is, and it stays in the corner for me. although now that i think about it, i can see almost the entire level on my screen so maybe that's the problem? i have my screen resolution set to 1024 by 786 pixels, if i'm guessing the problem correctly setting your screen resolution to that and playing in full screen should make it stay in the corner, and you would be able to see more. or you could tell me your screen resolution and i can see if i can fix it to work with that, and post the level here. :)

fowlplay4
07-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Well since you're using GS1 here's an example of how to place things on the screen.

//#CLIENTSIDE
if (created) {
showimg 200,gui_image.png,screenwidth - 100,20;
// Changing it's vis / layer to 4 places it on the same layer as screen.
changeimgvis 200,4;
}

johny023
07-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Well since you're using GS1 here's an example of how to place things on the screen.

//#CLIENTSIDE
if (created) {
showimg 200,gui_image.png,screenwidth - 100,20;
// Changing it's vis / layer to 4 places it on the same layer as screen.
changeimgvis 200,4;
}

thanks, i looked into that and have no clue how that works, but it does show the image in the correct place...
i did fix the script to work with computers using 800 by 600 pixels (i think that's the default) it's attached to this post, so anyone who has that screen resolution download this level and replace the one in the folder with it. it should fix the problem.

ff7chocoboknight
07-11-2009, 12:50 AM
Pretty neat. This should keep me amused for at least a little while.

Galdor
07-11-2009, 01:34 AM
omg give me cheats! I cant afford any guns (well just the first one) or bullets and the zombies take away like a third of ur hp bar after a while >=O

Ronnie
07-11-2009, 03:30 AM
Oh, quite a good game , inspiring aswell :O!

johny023
07-11-2009, 05:13 AM
thanks for the positive feedback everyone :)

omg give me cheats! I cant afford any guns (well just the first one) or bullets and the zombies take away like a third of ur hp bar after a while >=O

sorry i didn't program any cheats into the game, it's a minigame that's built into a full game that i made, you get experience for the full game in the minigame so cheats would have caused problems :)

but i don't think it's that hard to get the first gun... mele all the zombies in wave 1 and that will get you the first handgun, or mele all the zombies in wave 1 and 2 to get enough points to get the chaingun early, although that's a bit risky, you can hit the zombies once before they hit you, but you can't always hit them twice before they hit you so going in for mele has some risk for every wave but wave 1, and isn't probably isn't the best idea past wave 4 :D

and if ammo is a problem be careful on how much you use, use up all of the ammo in your gun (or at least most of it) before dropping it for a new one, and if you're using the automatic guns holding down the button isn't the best idea, just tap the button a few times so you don't use as much ammo. fire exactly enough bullets to kill a zombie (not counting critical hits) and the 250 ammo you start with will last a long time. and remember, if your gun costs less then 25 credits, don't buy ammo for it just buy the gun again, saves money.

well there's a few tips, i'm not sure exactly where you're getting stuck but that last one should help no matter what wave you're on. :D

cbk1994
07-11-2009, 05:31 AM
Haha this is very, very cool. Great job on it.

I'll admit to having to comment out a few of the lines that might have made me take some damage or perhaps lose ;)

Gambet
07-11-2009, 06:08 PM
It's pretty neat only it gets laggy as you progress. Also, those bomies are way too fast and the room is too big because repairing the walls is near impossible in the later waves. The scripts are also quite a mess, but then again it's offline GS1 so not so much that you can do. :p Nice work.

maximus_asinus
07-11-2009, 06:32 PM
I thought it was pretty neat, it makes me wonder why there are no servers/events/quests based around this. I think it would be great fun to try and hold a fort with a few friends as waves of zombies attacked.

johny023
07-12-2009, 04:02 AM
I thought it was pretty neat, it makes me wonder why there are no servers/events/quests based around this. I think it would be great fun to try and hold a fort with a few friends as waves of zombies attacked.

i gotta agree with you there, i would have expected some sort of zombie survival game to surface, it's a really easy idea to build off, and who doesn't like killing waves of zombies?

It's pretty neat only it gets laggy as you progress. Also, those bomies are way too fast and the room is too big because repairing the walls is near impossible in the later waves. The scripts are also quite a mess, but then again it's offline GS1 so not so much that you can do. :p Nice work.

it does start lagging a little around wave 20, but as long as you don't leave too many zombies alive at once i haven't noticed much lag, and i'm playing on a computer that can't run any of the online servers without lag.

if you don't keep your walls in good shape it will eventually become near imposable to keep them standing, a massive termite infestation starts if you don't keep killing them, and once you get too many termites, you can say goodbye to your walls. although, once you get to wave 20 there's no way you can keep every wall up, the dragons take them down too fast, but you can keep most of the building alive, just keep a eye on the walls and if they seem to be taking damage faster then shoot the wall and the area around it a little to check for termites. :D

actually i could have scripted it a little neater... that's mainly my fault, but when i first made the minigame i wasn't thinking about posting it here, and scripting it the "neat" way to me is messy, i think this way is neater and easier to read. when i got the idea to post it here i didn't want to re-script the whole thing so i just posted it as it is, thinking no one would look at the script anyway.

and about the bomys, they are supposed to be fast, :) they die in just a few shots, and only deal 10 damage, if they are causing too many problems look into using frag grenades to kill them, 1 grenade will almost always kill a bomy if it hits, and that way you can kill several quickly. another tip is to run diagonally so it's harder for them to hit you. :)

thanks for all the good feedback everyone :) just out of curiosity what wave is everyone dying on?

Admins
12-05-2009, 12:37 AM
Any screenshots?

Dante396
12-05-2009, 01:40 AM
I can't figure out how to open it D=

Switch
12-05-2009, 01:57 AM
I can't figure out how to open it D=

You need GraalEditor.exe from the Login server's install packages.
Then open the level (.nw) in there and hit "Play".

jkldogg
02-21-2010, 12:49 AM
bump

testing this on my server now

jkldogg
02-21-2010, 01:02 AM
my person just stands on the same spot and doesnt move even if i say start

oh well dont work i give up

fowlplay4
02-21-2010, 01:22 AM
It's an offline game meant to be played in the editor, not online.

jkldogg
02-27-2010, 11:31 AM
It's an offline game meant to be played in the editor, not online.

still doesnt work :\

i gave up lol

johny023
03-20-2010, 08:04 PM
i thought this thread had died a long time ago... sorry about the late reply :D

my person just stands on the same spot and doesnt move even if i say start

oh well dont work i give up

you need to download the "Graal Editor.exe" file that was mentioned above. copy/paste "Graal Editor.exe" into the folder then run that. it will open a random "new.nw" level. close that then click open, and open the level "start.nw" it should be a black screen, then click play.
that will fix the player animations and stuff, then teleport you to the game.
if that doesn't work, then i don't know what's wrong :)
and you shouldn't be stuck, nothing there stops the player from moving. :confused:

Any screenshots?
here's a few random screenshots i took.
http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn264/johny023/graal%20pics/