PDA

View Full Version : shading tutorial

Liberated
07-09-2009, 03:38 PM
I decided i'd make a tutorial, just because i was bored, i'm not saying im very good at gfxing, but i thought this might help some people.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j111/powerpuck/guntutorial.png

Soala
07-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Why does it says "you can replace the outline by a darkest color of the base color" when its actually done backwards ?

Nice tutorial btw.

Liberated
07-09-2009, 04:07 PM
first it's black, then it's a dark gray or a dark red in this case.

Soala
07-09-2009, 04:09 PM
first it's black, then it's a dark gray or a dark red in this case.

Yeah but you said you replace the color by a darker color
How can a black outline be replaced by a darker color when you replace it by dark gray ?

Liberated
07-09-2009, 04:11 PM
by "darkest"not darker btw. "darkest color of the base color" i ment the darkest used color of the base color, because the absolute dark would be black. And by base color i ment the color that is inside of the outline, in this case gray or red. Not the black of the outline.

Soala
07-09-2009, 04:17 PM
by "darkest"not darker btw. "darkest color of the base color" i ment the darkest used color of the base color, because the absolute dark would be black. And by base color i ment the color that is inside of the outline, in this case gray or red. Not the black of the outline.

Oooh sorry then ^^ Misunderstood it.

MrAnonymous_P2P
07-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Nice tutorial :)

However in my opinion, the back part of the gun and the barrel are terrible. Gradient shading never looks good, the back part of the guns shading just looks like its randomly put on there.

Switch
07-10-2009, 12:48 AM
Nice tutorial :)

However in my opinion, the back part of the gun and the barrel are terrible. Gradient shading never looks good, the back part of the guns shading just looks like its randomly put on there.

As I was reading, the thoughts in my mind were:

"..., yes.

Yes and yes. ..., yes."

The gradient is good for what he's trying to accomplish.

Liberated
07-10-2009, 08:24 AM
Gradient shading never looks good,

I would really like to know how to shade a cilinder then, because that is what the barrel is in this case, and the red tank(yes it's suposed to be a tank with tomatojuice) on the back too.

And no the sortof dithering thing in the tank is not random, if you look carefully, you will also see a gradient, i first put in a gradient, and then i sortof dithered it a bit.