PDA

View Full Version : Dead bodies everywhere.

jacob_bald6225
06-08-2009, 08:07 AM
I think a nice effect for a low player count server such as Classic would be to make it so dead bodies linger for a good two minutes and then fade away... Also they don't block while lingering.

Would be so cool.

DustyPorViva
06-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Problem is most bodies are killed in major PK areas such as level14... so walking out the bank would greet you with a pile of dead bodies and no way to see the ground.

jacob_bald6225
06-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Problem is most bodies are killed in major PK areas such as level14... so walking out the bank would greet you with a pile of dead bodies and no way to see the ground.

They'd vanish after a set amount of time-- I think it'd be a pretty cool effect.

Luda
06-08-2009, 09:17 AM
I like the idea, but I'd rather have 5-10 seconds not 2 minutes.

Have the body flicker then vanish.

DutchGuy
06-08-2009, 09:31 AM
I think a nice effect for a low player count server such as Classic would be to make it so dead bodies linger for a good two minutes and then fade away... Also they don't block while lingering.

Would be so cool.

someone's been playing Resident Evil too much

Mark Sir Link
06-08-2009, 10:27 AM

cap per level solves this problem imo

once you break 20 or so the oldest one vanishes to make room for the next regardless of time passed

EclipsedAngel
06-08-2009, 12:59 PM
I agree with Kevin even though I don't like him.

Pelikano
06-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Very nice idea

MysticX2X
06-08-2009, 06:15 PM
So they'd appear and vanish after a set amount of time? Seems sort of annoying.

fa12
06-08-2009, 06:22 PM
The only annoying thing Mystic is you. nah jk dude stop hating

Mark Sir Link
06-08-2009, 06:54 PM
So they'd appear and vanish after a set amount of time? Seems sort of annoying.

yea dude people play graal because they're annoyed that such a feature exists in almost any other game that has been updated since 2000

if they add it to graal graal will probably die

DustyPorViva
06-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Well only way I can think of doing this is with putnpcs, and with every bush/sign/object an NPC, do we REALLY need 20 more NPCs in the level just to show bodies? Seems really unnecessary and I think the novelty would fade very fast.

MysticX2X
06-08-2009, 07:13 PM
yea dude people play graal because they're annoyed that such a feature exists in almost any other game that has been updated since 2000

if they add it to graal graal will probably die
To have a bunch of NPC's hang around some level for some aesthetical features, only to cause more lag to the client?

Thanks but no thanks.

As Dusty said, the novelty of that feature would fade out in good time. It could be nice for Halloween.

Rufus
06-08-2009, 07:42 PM
fade out in good time.

That's what he was suggesting anyway.

jacob_bald6225
06-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Okay add a chat command

/bodydecay on or /bodydecay off

Luda
06-08-2009, 08:27 PM
no chat commands suck, add it to options npc

DustyPorViva
06-08-2009, 08:28 PM
^ this.

jacob_bald6225
06-08-2009, 08:31 PM
If there were a way to measure client lag (not sure). It would be nice to have it pop up when it detects you're running slow and ask if you want to disable it too.

ffcmike
06-08-2009, 11:37 PM
I think this would have worked nicely back when dieing warped you to your last save location or inside, and also that your dead body would disappear as soon as you re enter the level/map it was layed on, but with the current setup i'm not too fond about the idea of dead bodies lying around simultaneous to the actual player respawning and becoming alive again.

MysticX2X
06-08-2009, 11:40 PM

pressing Q then clicking options then pressing D then hitting it off is more work than saying /deadbodyoff.

BlackSolider
06-09-2009, 06:09 AM
Good thing that Mog doesn't play classic anymore if this idea was put into place. I think you can see where I'm going with this.

Jokes aside, yeah I'm not emo so I wouldn't want to log onto graal to be surrounded by dead bodies.

Mark Sir Link
06-10-2009, 12:09 AM
pressing Q then clicking options then pressing D then hitting it off is more work than saying /deadbodyoff.

why use GUIs when we could pretend it's the 80s

Umat
06-10-2009, 12:58 PM

That's why classic should have some system to map a key to specific NPCw.
Honestly I think the options shouldn't even show up as an NPCw in the inventory but always be mapped to some key that feels appropriate.

Crono
06-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Okay add a chat command

/bodydecay on or /bodydecay off

I don't even see why it HAS to have an option. I dislike it when everything is localized and not serverside, players won't get the same experience you know? :(

DustyPorViva
06-10-2009, 03:45 PM
I don't even see why it HAS to have an option. I dislike it when everything is localized and not serverside, players won't get the same experience you know? :(
Would probably still be serverside(I can't think of many ways of doing this without just placing NPC's when the player dies, as I don't think there is a remoteonplayerdies() sort of thing), which would just mean a clientside check on whether to show anything or not.

Crono
06-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Would probably still be serverside(I can't think of many ways of doing this without just placing NPC's when the player dies, as I don't think there is a remoteonplayerdies() sort of thing), which would just mean a clientside check on whether to show anything or not.

Erm, I meant when players are experiencing different stuff. Like, different tilesets, different effects (such as this body suggestion), etc. I can understand the problem from a performance perspective but seriously now...

DustyPorViva
06-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Erm, I meant when players are experiencing different stuff. Like, different tilesets, different effects (such as this body suggestion), etc. I can understand the problem from a performance perspective but seriously now...
Well I consider this a little different than a different tileset. I would consider this akin to turning off blood effects in some games and such. It's not like the tilesets where staff have to work with all the different tilesets to make sure there are no tile-errors and such.

Umat
06-10-2009, 03:55 PM
No one noticed my post? No one else that agrees?

DustyPorViva
06-10-2009, 04:02 PM
A lot of things shouldn't show up as wNPCs... like maps :P

BlackSolider
06-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Some games have features that enable players to control different aspects like how many dead bodies are left, how many trees are around, etc. etc.

But crono does bring up a good point. If players are all experiencing different things, then it just isn't...well I don't know what I'm trying to say, but you know what I mean, right?

DustyPorViva
06-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Some games have features that enable players to control different aspects like how many dead bodies are left, how many trees are around, etc. etc.

But crono does bring up a good point. If players are all experiencing different things, then it just isn't...well I don't know what I'm trying to say, but you know what I mean, right?
I guess it depends on what you consider important for a 'global experience'. Tilesets are important, especially for past-reasons given -- it's a ***** for the people working on levels. When one player is experiencing tile errors and another is not, there's a problem. Seasons would be another thing I don't think should be customized. It doesn't make sense that one player is experiencing fall and another not(though I hate the tilesets...). Day/night would be another, though I know Classic doesn't have this. Weather I think is okay, since it can be pretty intensive, though it would also be nice to have a slider bar that we can adjust to change how intensive it is.

I don't think this would be that much of a cosmetic importance to justify all players needing to see it.

BlackSolider
06-10-2009, 06:44 PM
I guess my defintion of a "global experience" would be the overall basic gameplay + story. Something minor like seeing dead bodies, weather, etc. I suppose wouldn't change how they play the game, so making them mandatory wouldn't be necessary.

The tileset is a bit different since it literally changes how everything looks, though not necessarily how things play. I'm sure the dev team would like it if we could only use one, but it'd be hard to find a single tileset that the majority would like. I for one don't really care about the tileset that much, but thats probably just me.

jacob_bald6225
06-10-2009, 09:08 PM
NO NO NO NO NO How come nobody was trumpeting global experience to defend my single tileset thread!? But now everyone wants it when there is an awesome idea that would detract from it. You guys are jerks!

MysticX2X
06-10-2009, 10:07 PM
So in the end:

No this probably would not be a good idea and has it's defects both ways.

jacob_bald6225
06-10-2009, 10:26 PM
So in the end:

No this would be a pretty cool idea.

Mark Sir Link
06-11-2009, 12:37 AM
So in the end:

you're pretty bad at summarizing

MysticX2X
06-11-2009, 12:41 AM
you're pretty bad at summarizing

Because what I've seen is only you and Ziplock supporting the idea and everyone else saying it isn't a good idea having it on at all times?

It's a sucky idea to think of having several dead bodies fading in and out at all times on Classic. That's something you should go to UN and Era for if you want your client to lag more. I would only imagine this feature being implemented during Halloween, or the week of Halloween. But then again, I would find it aggravating to look at several bodies fading in and out. Last Halloween, Thor added the feature of you being a ghost while your corpse was still dead. I think that's a more sensible idea, but I just don't see this feature happening. Keep dreaming while banned.:asleep:

Mark Sir Link
06-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Because what I've seen is only you and Ziplock supporting the idea and everyone else saying it isn't a good idea having it on at all times?

It's a sucky idea to think of having several dead bodies fading in and out at all times on Classic. That's something you should go to UN and Era for if you want your client to lag more. I would only imagine this feature being implemented during Halloween, or the week of Halloween. But then again, I would find it aggravating to look at several bodies fading in and out. Last Halloween, Thor added the feature of you being a ghost while your corpse was still dead. I think that's a more sensible idea, but I just don't see this feature happening. Keep dreaming while banned.:asleep:

Without even bothering to debunk you saying only 2 people liked the idea, only people who have no idea what they're talking about (IE you) would believe this to be a source of lag

Pelikano
06-12-2009, 12:55 PM
I like this idea

Mark Sir Link
06-13-2009, 01:39 AM
is this happening or no

MysticX2X
06-13-2009, 02:03 AM
Without even bothering to debunk you saying only 2 people liked the idea, only people who have no idea what they're talking about (IE you) would believe this to be a source of lag
Additional NPC's being loaded on your client does NOT have any sort of possibility of slowing your client?

jacob_bald6225
06-13-2009, 02:32 AM
Additional NPC's being loaded on your client does NOT have any sort of possibility of slowing your client?

20 or 30 extra NPCs probably wouldn't hurt anything.

DustyPorViva
06-13-2009, 02:36 AM
And you know this?

MysticX2X
06-13-2009, 02:53 AM

That's probably the case if you have an exceptional pc -- one that not all graalians have.

Honestly, I do not see the purpose of having dead bodies fading in and out spontaneously on the overworld as though that somehow makes sense or is even attractive, rather than cause an annoyance.

BlackSolider
06-13-2009, 04:19 AM
In theory, it would make it classic more realistic. Then again, if we were going for realism, we wouldn't spar by running around in circles, now would we?

Mark Sir Link
06-13-2009, 05:28 AM
That's probably the case if you have an exceptional pc -- one that not all graalians have.

Honestly, I do not see the purpose of having dead bodies fading in and out spontaneously on the overworld as though that somehow makes sense or is even attractive, rather than cause an annoyance.

u wrong

jacob_bald6225
06-13-2009, 05:47 AM
In theory, it would make it classic more realistic. Then again, if we were going for realism, we wouldn't spar by running around in circles, now would we?

This has nothing to do with striving for realism it is a cool effect--nothing more.

Pelikano
06-13-2009, 10:11 AM
And you know this?

I know it.

It's a simple putnpc, doesn't even need any script in it, just setting the body img etc and at the beginning, when created a check of how many of those NPCs are in the level.. ;)
After that it'd be silent, nothing more than a Bush

DustyPorViva
06-13-2009, 06:39 PM
I know it.

It's a simple putnpc, doesn't even need any script in it, just setting the body img etc and at the beginning, when created a check of how many of those NPCs are in the level.. ;)
After that it'd be silent, nothing more than a Bush
Sure. OK.

Mark Sir Link
06-13-2009, 09:06 PM
me and Zip were fooling around a bit with it on the Testbed server last night and the only lag issue seemed to be onPlayerDies() doesn't seem to be called immediately (just having an NPC in the level checking onPlayerDies() and setting player chat to "dead" was delaying anywhere from .5 to 6 seconds) but Classic uses different methods to detect death anyway.

DustyPorViva
06-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Lag will most likely come from having to load the NPC's when the player enters a level. There may also be some lag associated with gani's/showcharacters. Classic already lags a hefty amount when too many other players are visible... like I said though, I'm not sure if that's because of how it handles other players or because of all the showcharacters(disabling nicks helps, but it's still noticeable).

Whenever you enter a level, it has to load all NPCs be it local or dynamic(putnpc2 and such). I can notice it when I enter a level with a lot of bushes, because it will freeze upwards to a second or two. It's not just as simple as how much script is running.

Just remember, every object(bush/vase/sign) is an NPC, bombs are NPCs, then calculate loading players as well... and who knows what else. It would be fairly easy to create something like this to test the limits, however.

Mark Sir Link
06-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Lag will most likely come from having to load the NPC's when the player enters a level. There may also be some lag associated with gani's/showcharacters. Classic already lags a hefty amount when too many other players are visible... like I said though, I'm not sure if that's because of how it handles other players or because of all the showcharacters(disabling nicks helps, but it's still noticeable).

Whenever you enter a level, it has to load all NPCs be it local or dynamic(putnpc2 and such). I can notice it when I enter a level with a lot of bushes, because it will freeze upwards to a second or two. It's not just as simple as how much script is running.

Just remember, every object(bush/vase/sign) is an NPC, bombs are NPCs, then calculate loading players as well... and who knows what else. It would be fairly easy to create something like this to test the limits, however.

if people were really this worried about adding 15 or so NPCs with 3 lines of code I wonder if they'd be opposed to an increase in the playercount of 15 players.

BlackSolider
06-14-2009, 07:10 AM
Players have a use. Dead bodies don't, except for Mog, but he's banned.

Pelikano
06-14-2009, 11:42 AM

You start lagging when you enter a level with 50 Bushes?
Dude, don't talk bull****

DustyPorViva
06-14-2009, 07:43 PM
You start lagging when you enter a level with 50 Bushes?
Dude, don't talk bull****
lol

BlackSolider
06-14-2009, 09:35 PM
@ Sam

I think he means (or at least this sometimes happens to me) is that when you walk into a room/level with a large number of npcs (such as bushes,) you lag for a second or two while they load up. Many times my character will freeze at the entrance, and while I can see the level, I can't see the npcs for a few seconds while they all load up (angel clan or kris killem's are decent examples.) This doesn't always happen, but it has a few times.

Pelikano
06-14-2009, 09:37 PM
@ Sam

I think he means (or at least this sometimes happens to me) is that when you walk into a room/level with a large number of npcs (such as bushes,) you lag for a second or two while they load up. Many times my character will freeze at the entrance, and while I can see the level, I can't see the npcs for a few seconds while they all load up (angel clan or kris killem's are decent examples.) This doesn't always happen, but it has a few times.

Hmh didn't know this happens, well it never happened for me :p

Rufus
06-14-2009, 10:03 PM
The npc bush loading is really only a problem with players that have low spec computers, and as Graal isn't a game that you would expect to need a decent specification for it should be taken into consideration. However, my PC isn't terrible and I almost always have a huge delay when walking from level14 into the level above it and I think it's the same with walking towards Supernicks. I'm guessing that this is down to scripts loading, it's the same on Era in every single level on the overworld.

BlackSolider
06-14-2009, 11:15 PM
I'm guessing that this is down to scripts loading, it's the same on Era in every single level on the overworld.

I second this notion, and its even worse when you (I) walk into a room with several players shooting guns, explosions occurring, etc. etc.

crbgraal
07-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Did showimg get removed in the NPC-Server or GScript2 transitions? You could do this in one NPC per level in the old days. Although you'd not really be able to /persist/ them.

Edit: Just after posting this I realized the flaw: characters are drawn specially and aren't images. Oops.

why use GUIs when we could pretend it's the 80s

Because there's no reason the options NPCW can't listen for chat commands to change the options also shown on the visual display.