PDA

View Full Version : Global Event Server

Tigairius
04-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Okay guys, sorry for the late response, been busy trying to get GK all good for Easter. Anyways, in our other thread that I created asking how we can improve global guilds, there were a lot of nice suggestions.

One of the suggestions that piqued my interest the most was TSAdmin's idea for a server specifically made for global guilds: Global Events.

How do you guys like the idea of a server with just events for guilds to participate in, namely Capture The Flag, Last Guild Standing, etc?

I figure, global guilds who want to participate in such events can log into the server and register their guild to the server, which would put their guild on the high score list, however the high score list would only display the top 10 guilds.

Now, let's brainstorm to think of the possible things that could go wrong with the server, for example:
the server would require at least two guilds on at all times, how can we ensure that there are always two guilds on the server to make sure it stays active?

How about ideas for guild events? Let's try to be creative and give most of them a nice classic Graal feel.

Aside from the automated events, should we hire an events team that can host special events?

If we do this, who will help me make it? I don't want to do it alone.

So, what do you guys think?

Elk
04-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Graalympics

I would be willing to help if there would be something to archieve, like, points for a guild that increases the ranking, not only PvP, but other events :p

Nataxo
04-16-2009, 01:29 PM
very good idea. Just 1 question; it will be classic graal themed or gk or something else?

Skyld
04-16-2009, 01:53 PM
I think it would do a world of good for guilds if there was a central place where they can be in competition. I'm all for it.

Pimmeh
04-16-2009, 02:20 PM
I could probably design a couple of events :o

Zeltino
04-16-2009, 02:27 PM
I'd be willing to help.

You'd have to have some sort of global events system, so you could advertise to all members of the signed up guilds that an event is starting.

I could see this going either extremely well or extremely bad.

Well being that you have tons of activity and it's a hit.
Bad that it gets an original hit of activity and then drops off to nothing.

fragman85
04-16-2009, 02:34 PM
I voted Other.

I'd like it more, if this Global Events server were to only host Events on Saturday and Fridays at about 3 PM EST (So European players could join the Events too).

My idea is to host hige events on these two Days, and put the Server on the Classic Tab only on these two days from 2 PM EST untill 4 PM EST and host stuff like CTF, Team Spar, Last Guild Standing and then on Monday display the Winners in the news.

Otherwise the Server will end like the Testbed server and everybody will stop using it after two weeks.

DarkIceX
04-16-2009, 02:51 PM
I'd be willing to help out with levels if you guys wanted me. Just let me know if you're gonna go ahead with this - you have my AIM Tig.

Sounds like a great idea.

MysticX2X
04-16-2009, 03:01 PM
I think Global events are a good idea but to have an always standing server is pointless.

Deas_Voice
04-16-2009, 03:51 PM
great idea!
i'd be willing to help (maybe o.o)

Matt
04-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Good idea.

I think an Events Team of 4 decently active players who know how to host the event and actually have the time to host events, would be good. And unless these Events Team members know how to develop also, i suggest you have someone stay concentrated on development of this Events Server.

1 Events Admin to host special tournaments, manage the team, handle issues the Events Team members can't handle themselves ect. I just woke up, ill post some more ideas for this later, although this is a step in the right direction. :)

Also, i think xXZiroXx's Events system would be of great use for this.

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84823

Rufus
04-16-2009, 04:35 PM
I don't know if this would work.

fragman85
04-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Good idea.

I think an Events Team of 4 decently active players who know how to host the event and actually have the time to host events, would be good. And unless these Events Team members know how to develop also, i suggest you have someone stay concentrated on development of this Events Server.

1 Events Admin to host special tournaments, manage the team, handle issues the Events Team members can't handle themselves ect. I just woke up, ill post some more ideas for this later, although this is a step in the right direction. :)

Also, i think xXZiroXx's Events system would be of great use for this.

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84823

That only starts and ends Events, doesn't really host them.

Crono
04-16-2009, 05:00 PM
What's the actual point of this idea again?

xXziroXx
04-16-2009, 05:18 PM
That only starts and ends Events, doesn't really host them.

I provided some examples for that part.

Galdor
04-16-2009, 05:19 PM
I don't think the event server is a good idea really, I think servers should try to add some fun stuffs for guilds to do like guild forts to be conquered with certain advantage for the winning guild ect. But to have a successful and fun guild war or something like that you need players, so how do you get players? You make quality content that is fun and entertaining.

Graal is full of dull and boring content, and mostly because people don't try hard enough and aren't thinking things through.
An example Graal Kingdoms food system, you might be thinking "well yea but that makes it realistic", but is it fun? does it really make the game better?
No it doesn't make the game better because why would anyone want to stop the fun adventure (assuming that there is one) to look drastically for something to eat just not to die?

Rufus
04-16-2009, 06:10 PM
I don't think the event server is a good idea really, I think servers should try to add some fun stuffs for guilds to do like guild forts to be conquered with certain advantage for the winning guild ect. But to have a successful and fun guild war or something like that you need players, so how do you get players? You make quality content that is fun and entertaining.

That's pretty much how I feel about the situation too, I just didn't know how to word it. Guilds are focused around the servers that they're derived from, and the global elasticity allows players to freely wear their tag and represent their guild on other servers, meaning that they're not just a part of a local system.

Guilds are community based groups, and activities that 'serious' guilds take part in such as recruiting, reputation building, and participation cannot be promoted through a server that is not community based. On a server like this, guilds are going to be forced to recruit based upon players skill on the games server in order to have a competitive edge, rather than their home servers and it really devalues the purpose. Even then, I am skeptical as to if guilds would actually actively participate in a server like this too, because after the initial hype it is probably going to turn into what the game server has where you have to get people to log on in order to promote some form of rivalry.

I think that a server of this type would be good for global events, but not for guilds because their home events already probably offer similar features. It should be the home servers that are employing content for guilds to participate in, because when it is all dedicated to one events server it becomes contrived activities, and guilds degrade into team building rather than communities. There just isn't enough for guilds to do on the local servers and the communities they are based in, and there is not enough provided to give that kind of purpose, but something like this isn't going to promote that.

Matt
04-16-2009, 06:43 PM
I don't think the event server is a good idea really, I think servers should try to add some fun stuffs for guilds to do

If it's left up to the servers and their staff to do such a thing, it wont get done. On most servers anyway.

Rufus
04-16-2009, 06:50 PM
If it's left up to the servers and their staff to do such a thing, it wont get done. On most servers anyway.

This is an incorrect commentary. I know for a fact that Classic has continuously attempted guild content, but there isn't enough support provided in terms of scripting FOR global guilds. Servers have ended up using local systems in order to have a better control over issues that are effecting the global system such as multiguilding, which removes the purpose of global guilds. Classic shouldn't have to use a local guild system in order to provide content for guilds, and neither should the rest.

papajchris
04-16-2009, 07:02 PM
I think it is a good idea if it follows the following:

1. Server is only up for the time to host the main events
2. Does not require Gold to play
3. Has a variety of different types of events to match the skills guilds acquired from playing on certain servers

Tigairius
04-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Hmmm do you guys think we should only have it open on weekends? I mean, that's a valid point.

Geno
04-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Hmmm do you guys think we should only have it open on weekends? I mean, that's a valid point.

i dont know :o
everyone plays at different times. im usually only on during the week :[, maybe some other players are too?

Nataxo
04-16-2009, 07:47 PM

if there's nearly no activity on weekdays, only weekends would be awesome

Inverness
04-16-2009, 07:48 PM
I think it would be a good idea to have weekly events on this server. Though no reason to only have it online during these events. Have a calendar thing that lists scheduled events and such and scoreboards and such.

Crono
04-16-2009, 07:50 PM
I notice that most of you are not actually active in guilds let alone playing Graal.

What's the actual point of this idea again?

Herro guise. How does this help guilds?

Rufus
04-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Guilds are not teams for events.

Tigairius
04-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Guilds are not teams for events.

Who says they can't be? I think forming your guild into a team is a good way to unify your guild.

Rufus
04-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Who says they can't be? I think forming your guild into a team is a good way to unify your guild.

Then you haven't got a clue what these guilds have always been and are trying to change them into something that they are not.

Gotenks_Gore
04-16-2009, 08:00 PM
All it would do is lower Classics already low Player Count...

Tigairius
04-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Then you haven't got a clue what these guilds have always been and are trying to change them into something that they are not.

Then you won't mind explaining how team events for guilds is so evil?

ff7chocoboknight2
04-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Classic says no.

Rufus
04-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Then you won't mind explaining how team events for guilds is so evil?

That's pretty much how I feel about the situation too, I just didn't know how to word it. Guilds are focused around the servers that they're derived from, and the global elasticity allows players to freely wear their tag and represent their guild on other servers, meaning that they're not just a part of a local system.

Guilds are community based groups, and activities that 'serious' guilds take part in such as recruiting, reputation building, and participation cannot be promoted through a server that is not community based. On a server like this, guilds are going to be forced to recruit based upon players skill on the games server in order to have a competitive edge, rather than their home servers and it really devalues the purpose. Even then, I am skeptical as to if guilds would actually actively participate in a server like this too, because after the initial hype it is probably going to turn into what the game server has where you have to get people to log on in order to promote some form of rivalry.

I think that a server of this type would be good for global events, but not for guilds because their home events already probably offer similar features. It should be the home servers that are employing content for guilds to participate in, because when it is all dedicated to one events server it becomes contrived activities, and guilds degrade into team building rather than communities. There just isn't enough for guilds to do on the local servers and the communities they are based in, and there is not enough provided to give that kind of purpose, but something like this isn't going to promote that.

Tigairius
04-16-2009, 08:13 PM

Well, guilds are not forced to participate in the server. If you don't want your guild to participate, then don't go there. In fact, I could probably make it to where only the leader of the guild can sign up the guild on the server.

Rufus
04-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Well, guilds are not forced to participate in the server. If you don't want your guild to participate, then don't go there. In fact, I could probably make it to where only the leader of the guild can sign up the guild on the server.

Have you even thought about the repercussions of doing something like this?

papajchris
04-16-2009, 08:21 PM
if the server has classic pking, UN, Delteria, and N-Pulse players would be fighting like they always do. And your acting like it would destroy the "guild" community. Guilds right now are GENERALLY based on skill already. ex: BTK. But lets say your in a guild of just friends. You can participate and STILL have fun. Someone needs to do a survey but i think at any point during the day 80% of graal players are idling so it's something else to do. And its only a few hours a each weekend day (if thats decided), so you can go back to recruiting, idling, spamming in masses shortly after. Imo as the server gets older, guilds will want to be ranked #1 and that will cause tensions which will result in many peple coming over. On N-Pulse they do guild wars (daily) and u will see the playercount go from like 4 to 40 in 10 minutes as time gets close. People come from all different servers to support a guild. To bad there guild war system is horrible and requires people not skill, and requires u to only have 1 finger to tap S. On a well thought out guild wars system, i have no doubt that it will succeed as long as it's updated often and there is things for guilds to brag about.

Gotenks_Gore
04-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Have you even thought about the repercussions of doing something like this?

All it would do is lower Classics already low Player Count...

=/

Cloven
04-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Save for occasional entertainment value I don't really see a purpose in creating this. If anything, it will negatively impact the playercount/community on existing classic worlds, which is already thin enough. It also does not address global guild issues, such as multi-guilding. This just isn't a very smart idea for a variety of reasons at this point in time.

papajchris
04-16-2009, 09:01 PM
How does a few hours of a players time each weekend or w/e negatively destroy classic worlds? I fail to understand that. imo, it will BENEFIT communities as players will make new friends, learn to work together, which will result in more local guild activity on servers when the server is not up.

xnervNATx
04-16-2009, 09:11 PM
How does a few hours of a players time each weekend or w/e negatively destroy classic worlds? I fail to understand that. imo, it will BENEFIT communities as players will make new friends, learn to work together, which will result in more local guild activity on servers when the server is not up.

did u think about people already bashing each other , you dont need to make it worst, and i voted no on this because al its would do is lower server like classic and npulse(which is already pretty low)

Cloven
04-16-2009, 09:18 PM

When you take away 'key' players from their home worlds, ultimately some of the general players will also leave due to decreased activity. And even the weekend is longer than just "a few hours." Those weekend hours are precious, considering the age group on here.

Lastly, everybody is not going to run around making new friends, peace, and love. If the aforementioned server is designed to provide guild-based competition, the exact opposite of what you stated would be true. This is already evident on the existing servers and what poor guild support exists in general.

Zeltino
04-16-2009, 09:51 PM
Nobody said this server had to be a playerworld.

It could be that you log in to an extremely small Gmap (Maybe 4 levels?) where you wait for events to begin. You can't PK or do anything except play events there. There's no questing, no FAQ, NPCs, etc. So you wouldn't actually be PLAYING the server, just playing events against other guilds.

I see no problem in this. I think you all are tearing this apart way too much. It won't pull away from other servers unless it starts to has quests, adventures, NPCs, restaurants, PKing, etc.

papajchris
04-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Nobody said this server had to be a playerworld.

It could be that you log in to an extremely small Gmap (Maybe 4 levels?) where you wait for events to begin. You can't PK or do anything except play events there. There's no questing, no FAQ, NPCs, etc. So you wouldn't actually be PLAYING the server, just playing events against other guilds.

I see no problem in this. I think you all are tearing this apart way too much. It won't pull away from other servers unless it starts to has quests, adventures, NPCs, restaurants, PKing, etc.

I assumed everyone new this, but exactly. It wouldn't actaully be a server where u do questing and such.

And to Cloven. Look @ Era's gangs and imagine that on a larger scale. There is competition between the gangs, but it isn't difficult to leave one gang and then apply for another. And idk about you, but when i join a gang, i become friends with my fellow members and i try to help them out. When i was in LC, people would give me ammo and such and i'd do the same. I also met many people through the gangs. I see that happening, but on a global level.

In addition to that, obviously a weekend isn't a few hours. I was trying to state that the events being hosted would only take a few hours of a weekend. And key players AREN'T leaving there servers, they are temporarily playing another server. And most "key" players i know on Era and Zodiac, play other servers occasionally so its NOT changing anything. I don't see how leaving a server for a few hours will cause devastation to graal.

And to your people running around not making love comment, i basically answered that. When you join a guild, you have to work together to get that #1 rank that many will want, and if you don't im sure the guild leader would kick u and find someone who will listen.

@xnervNATx: Then the people bashing each other now will cause more tension and we should be seeing them at these events then fighting for the right to brag.

Bell
04-16-2009, 10:09 PM
I understand that Tig is trying to make guilds have a point by suggesting an events server. As a long time guild leader though I don't think that this is the road to take to improve the guild community.

Guild strength, bragging rights and membership comes from competing with its rivals. This makes the whole concept of guilds more community based vs event based. With an events server you will end up not having the guild loyalty that the old system has now. People will just switch to the guild that wins more often which will in turn make this no more valuable to guilds than Nations are to Zodiac. Biggest guild wins.... big deal. No pride in that at all.

I think if you take a close look at the longest lasting guilds you will find that each and every one of them has a core group of loyal members that wouldn't jump ship regardless of the outcome. These people are highly community based while the events server would just add cannon fodder to the guilds. If you want an events server just make it a nations server and you'll have the same outcome.

xnervNATx
04-16-2009, 10:10 PM
what event will that be? another cw(un) mod fort(clasic) guild war(Npulse) team wars(zodiac)?

papajchris
04-16-2009, 10:53 PM
what event will that be? another cw(un) mod fort(clasic) guild war(Npulse) team wars(zodiac)?

Im sure it would be a variety of guild/team work events such as a maze like the pyramid dungeon on Zodiac. And then some pking ones obviously and such. It should test all skills not just how well u can press S

xnervNATx
04-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Classic says no.

i second that

kia345
04-17-2009, 12:20 AM
Classic says no.

That explains the 12 people who voted no

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8b/StatlerAndWaldorf.jpg

Galdor
04-17-2009, 12:25 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8b/StatlerAndWaldorf.jpg

haha! ^^

Gotenks_Gore
04-17-2009, 01:22 AM
classics votes should get doubled because era/un/gk sucks

kia345
04-17-2009, 01:41 AM
classics votes should get doubled because era/un/gk sucks

Why are comparing Era and UN to GK?

Gotenks_Gore
04-17-2009, 02:46 AM
same server wtf

Crono
04-17-2009, 03:29 AM

Sure but it would be 12 people that are actually active in guilds let alone play Graal.

Clockwork
04-17-2009, 05:12 AM
I'm so ready for Guild Swat and Snipers. XD

MiniOne
04-17-2009, 06:37 AM
I reckon this is going to fail, it'll die out within the month.
Not saying its a bad idea, just saying it'll become another one of those forgotten servers.

Vima
04-17-2009, 08:37 AM
I think this idea is bad.
It would "steal" the players from the current servers.
UN would be dead, everything about UN = Playing events.

So instead of fixing a problem, you're moving a problem.

kia345
04-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Sure but it would be 12 people that are actually active in guilds let alone play Graal.

Guilds exist outside of Classic.

Crono
04-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Guilds exist outside of Classic.

Yes, I know. But how many of the people who voted yes are actually in an active guild? The 12 that voted no that are apparently from Classic are atleast active in guilds and playing the game. :rolleyes:

Rufus
04-17-2009, 04:36 PM
I wish the poll results were public, I'm sure that'd be a laugh.

Matt
04-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Guild strength, bragging rights and membership comes from competing with its rivals.

Guild rivalry is not as it used to be, at all. It's even rare that guilds have small 'pk sessions' with one another. A lot of guilds i see now (including some old ones) just log on their home server, slap on their guild tag on, and sit in a spar arena all day and guild message each other. What's there to brag about now n days if no competition is going on?

I think the Events Server is a good idea, and could bring back the old guild activites a bit, it just needs a good solid plan to it. Only have it show on playerlist when events are being hosted. Maybe something along the lines of there being a total of 10 events hosted daily, and automatically. An option could be added to F3 options like, 'Enable Global Event Notification' for the time an Event is close to being activated. Require a registered global guild tag to be on in order to log on the server, if no then serverwarp him/her.

papajchris
04-17-2009, 05:51 PM
I think this idea is bad.
It would "steal" the players from the current servers.
UN would be dead, everything about UN = Playing events.

So instead of fixing a problem, you're moving a problem.

Again, the events wouldnt be everyday all day, or atleast shouldnt be or participation will be low. It should/most likely be large events on the weekends for a few hours. I don't understand how a few hours of a players time weekly will destroy a server. And not everyone will be participating, so there will be people playing still on their home servers. And secondly, like i mentioned above, a good portion of players already log onto other servers to talk to their friends or for a change of scenery, and yet graal isn't dead :confused:

Ares
04-18-2009, 02:56 AM
bringing back competitive sparring would be fun..

sssssssssss
05-01-2009, 10:17 PM
I say no as well. Why fix something that apparently has been "imporoved" already. Dont fix it for us if this is the resolution, it will make guilds worse.
Everyone who said another server will kill player activeness in guilds is right. It will, I know ive lost people to other servers easily, hmmm, those suck ones i think. theres 2.
This needs to be incorporated into the servers, geeze, make it mandatory for the server, i dunno. In '99 when i started, there was 1 server with around 430-550 every time i got on, player count is around the same, maybe 20-50 lower, depending on the night and time. Just sayin.

Matt
06-05-2009, 02:10 AM
Soooo, is this a yay or nay? It'd be a decent start for 'new things on Graal'. Some may say this is not a good idea to improve global guilds, but honestly, what else is being done for guilds? Nothing. How often is it that a project for the community is worked on by a 'global'? Rare/Never (No offense). I say scratch the pointless poll and go for it, something new needs to happen on Graal a.s.a.p, other than client improvements. >.>

Hiro
06-05-2009, 03:37 AM
Yes, I know. But how many of the people who voted yes are actually in an active guild? The 12 that voted no that are apparently from Classic are atleast active in guilds and playing the game. :rolleyes:
as a person who is active in guilds, i voted for yes, but i have my doubts.

i was actually trying to make a server like this one for a couple years, never got anyone to think it was a good idea past the "i'll play it when it's up" type crap.

this can work out to be a good idea, if it's done correctly. the objective has to be not to make guilds move onto a new home server, but to give guilds a protected place away from their home servers in which to compete against one another in an unbiased no-lag environment, which can be done through a dedicated "guild" server; the server can be closed and opened depending on when events were being hosted - when nothing was going on, it'd be expected that the server would have 0 players on it, as everyone would be on their home servers.

the way i envisioned the server running was something like, a very small overworld which contained only a sparring complex and an underground guild wars complex. PKing can be done on the overworld, which would be a massive PK zone for wasting time, or perhaps an area for any type of PK war could be done directly on the overworld. sparring tournaments and leagues could take place in the sparring complex, which isn't hard to create at all; guild sparring isn't all that complicated to make happen if the scripts and the right people are on. the guild wars complex would obviously host a type of guild war system who's goal was to make everything equal (as graal has always been about everyone having the same amount of hearts, sword power, shield power, etc. at least for classic-type servers), except for the skill of the guild members. i know i've talked to some people about a certain type of system, and they've all said i had an awesomely worked out system, but i'm not gonna post it because i doubt it would be used or considered to be used.

the fact of the matter is, the people crying over losing players aren't thinking about this type of server in the right way: i'd love to have a closed off server in which me and my guild could battle out some other guild both in a fair guild war system and in sparring.

but, that said, i somehow doubt any of this is actually going to have any fruition, especially from some of the posts i've been reading from people who i hardly ever even see on graal, much less who are in guilds or care about guilds.

Tigairius
06-05-2009, 05:28 AM
Well, a lot of people express concerns about the idea, so I have a feeling if I pursued it I would have a hard time finding developmental help.

Rufus
06-05-2009, 01:42 PM
i somehow doubt any of this is actually going to have any fruition, especially from some of the posts i've been reading from people who i hardly ever even see on graal, much less who are in guilds or care about guilds.

Lol? Those were the people who liked the idea.

Hiro
06-06-2009, 03:50 AM
Lol? Those were the people who liked the idea.
which is exactly why it won't ever happen. it's very disappointing.

Hiro
06-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Well, a lot of people express concerns about the idea, so I have a feeling if I pursued it I would have a hard time finding developmental help.
i have ideas for running/managing the events on it, though i can't physically make anything (worthwhile)

what happened to graal's "elite" teams of developers? i'm sure creating a small guild's event server could be a priority for the GST and what-not?

Soala
06-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Voted Other:

By reading all these posts, I feel half yes/no. :(

Deas_Voice
06-19-2009, 11:10 PM
i have ideas for running/managing the events on it, though i can't physically make anything (worthwhile)

what happened to graal's "elite" teams of developers? i'm sure creating a small guild's event server could be a priority for the GST and what-not?

what GST?

Hiro
06-19-2009, 11:17 PM
what GST?
oh, right, they dissolved that into PWA or something didn't they. well, i mean the global staff that are supposed to get their positions from being awesome and competent developers, as well as people who get things done on a timely basis when given a project - such as this one could be

jkool666
06-19-2009, 11:58 PM
I quite like this idea :).

Hiro
07-03-2009, 09:54 PM
just for an update, whats the current mind set you have for this idea Tig? i hope it isn't a definite no-go ):?

Matt
09-08-2009, 01:49 AM
Any updates on this, or was this just a tease?

Tigairius
09-08-2009, 02:20 AM
Any updates on this, or was this just a tease?

It wasn't a tease, it was just an idea, and as I said here (http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1497219&postcount=65), I don't think it's worth pursuing because too many people seemed to not like the idea (so it would be harder to complete the project).

Matt
12-09-2009, 03:45 AM
It wasn't a tease, it was just an idea, and as I said here (http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1497219&postcount=65), I don't think it's worth pursuing because too many people seemed to not like the idea (so it would be harder to complete the project).

Since this is listed in the GDT section, and needs supported, i think it'd be good to get more input on this. Can't go off a silly poll anyway, because most of the things that are done, we don't approve of anyways.