PDA

View Full Version : The Newspaper Idea.

ffcmike
03-31-2009, 05:56 PM
This is something first brought to my attention as a joke on the GC forum, rather than a serious suggestion.
But having given it some thought, and discussed it, i really like the sound of it.

I am aware that atleast one other server has its own type of newspaper, although i have no idea what it looks like, how it works, who runs it or what type of articles it publishes.

Anyway the proposal i'm hoping would be well recieved is quite simply to have a player + staff ran "Media Outlet".
There'd be a building which includes levels for "journalist" offices, with all the appropriate NPC characters for those involved, and a printing room containing a supposed production line, but ofcourse all of this would be an unimportant display.

The real business would be staff and players alike writing articles,
covering such things Development Updates, Staff Hirings, Events + Competitions (Monthly Spar for example), general gossip, interviews, random stories and general Graal news, and what we'd end up with as a Newspaper weapon NPC for players to buy.

There would have to be someone with reasonable scripting ability to put the articles in place and handle each release, but apart from that it could be entirely player handled, there could be an unofficial staff team, perhaps with a local guild tag who would do things like ask staff questions or hold interviews, but then anyone else could be free to submit random articles.

Firing the NPC would bring up a display onto the screen, and you would be able to scroll through the pages each showing a headline, the article text, and perhaps a picture.

There are quote alot of potential positive effects this could cause, such as:
Staff > Player communications could be improved.
Any person would be free to become involved with the project assuming they are capable.
Something refreshing/new could be provided on a frequent basis.
It could provide an aspect inwhich to include in an economy/businesses setup.
There's the possibility of the Newspaper being used as a collective objective inwhich to later obtain something of reward (promotions etc).

There has been a little work put towards this already just for the sake of demonstration, i think it's something realistic that could be maintained, but ofcourse it's important that this is something everybody would want in the first place, now yes this idea has nothing to do with gameplay, but it could ultimately be a positive step for the server, how many people feel that this is something worth pursuing?

Nataxo
03-31-2009, 06:00 PM
I support you Thor.

If you do find a way to write articles + a easy way to get pictures, can I use it for Era News?:(

ffcmike
03-31-2009, 06:14 PM
I support you Thor.

If you do find a way to write articles + a easy way to get pictures, can I use it for Era News?:(

The pictures would most likely be partial screenshots which along with the headline + article text that makes up the article would go into a 2 dimensional array, everything else would then be handled by the same script.

I haven't put much thought into how Old Newspaper disposal would be handled yet, one idea was for it to blow in the wind like trash and perhaps smack into players faces, otherwise they could be collected up maybe towards recycling (ripoff i know) or promotional offers if not automatically deleted upon a new paper release.

Also, i am yet to decide on a supposed name for this paper, any suggestions?

xnervNATx
03-31-2009, 06:16 PM
The pictures would most likely be partial screenshots which along with the headline + article text that makes up the article would go into a 2 dimensional array, everything else would then be handled by the same script.

I haven't put much thought into how Old Newspaper disposal would be handled yet, one idea was for it to blow in the wind like trash and perhaps smack into players faces, otherwise they could be collected up maybe towards recycling (ripoff i know) or promotional offers if not automatically deleted upon a new paper release.

Also, i am yet to decide on a supposed name for this paper, any suggestions?

Classic's News

ffcmike
03-31-2009, 06:21 PM
Classic's News

Somewhat basic, and the paper wouldn't just be about news either.

I was leaning towards the idea of basing it off a location name:
Graal City Express,
Destiny Times,
Babord Metro
Delta Standard

etc

Polo
03-31-2009, 06:48 PM
'Graal City Express' sounds more like the name of a train, but basing the name off a place in general does throw up lots of interesting name combinations, such as 'Nafets River News' and 'Mod Town Monthly'.

How about avoiding the whole place name tie-in though and going with something like 'The Graalian'. It's a name that encompasses the entire player base, and is even close enough to 'The Guardian' to sound like a blatant rip-off of a real newspaper. :D

I think the newspaper could be a fun idea but it needs to be moderated to ensure that articles do not harass anyone, or contain excessive language. Things like grammar and spelling could do with a quick check also, just to make sure the articles are easy to read. The problem is that once you appoint an editor to monitor these things, you open up the system for complaints about censorship. I hope people have some maturity about this, as it would be a shame to see a good idea spoiled. ^^

DutchGuy
03-31-2009, 06:52 PM
'Graal City Express' sounds more like the name of a train, but basing the name off a place in general does throw up lots of interesting name combinations, such as 'Nafets River News' and 'Mod Town Monthly'.

How about avoiding the whole place name tie-in though and going with something like 'The Graalian'. It's a name that encompasses the entire player base, and is even close enough to 'The Guardian' to sound like a blatant rip-off of a real newspaper. :D

I think the newspaper could be a fun idea but it needs to be moderated to ensure that articles do not harass anyone, or contain excessive language. Things like grammar and spelling could do with a quick check also, just to make sure the articles are easy to read. The problem is that once you appoint an editor to monitor these things, you open up the system for complaints about censorship. I hope people have some maturity about this, as it would be a shame to see a good idea spoiled. ^^

The Graalian? the graalian is overall. Graalians are players playing the game graal, not the server classic.
If you make a newspaper based on classic, it can also be named The Classican

BlackSolider
03-31-2009, 07:04 PM
Classic News Weekly. CNW for short.

StrykerTFFD
03-31-2009, 07:07 PM
The Graalian? the graalian is overall. Graalians are players playing the game graal, not the server classic.

We're trying to pull players to Classic. Going for a name that includes them while not being on the server would be a good thing.

Having worked(and I say worked because our teacher actually did work for a real newspaper so our process was very serious and realistic) for my school paper for 3 years(2 years as editor) I have to say the idea is nice but the level of writing material on Classic is pretty thin. You need big stories to catch reader eyes(Manager review would be nice for that right now but not later so just an example) followed with small stories that relate to the players.

Can we do that? What is worth reporting on Classic right now? (This isn't me saying it's a bad idea, this is a legit question).

ffcmike
03-31-2009, 07:08 PM

You're forgetting that Classic was once Graal in it's entirety.
Should Graal City be renamed to Classic City?

DutchGuy
03-31-2009, 08:04 PM
You're forgetting that Classic was once Graal in it's entirety.
Should Graal City be renamed to Classic City?

indeed it should. Graal City was a big name in the past, now it's just a shameless name with nothing special to it. All thanks to the currently sitting managers and the ones managing before them.

ffcmike
03-31-2009, 08:17 PM
All thanks to the currently sitting managers and the ones managing before them.
Thanks to Tyhm?
Not to mention the fact i haven't been Manager for one week yet.

Shadow87
03-31-2009, 08:23 PM
good idea

jacob_bald6225
03-31-2009, 08:39 PM
I probably wouldn't read it, but this would be a really creative way to put out news on updates that is more involving than the npcserver sending an automated message.

acaremon02
03-31-2009, 08:45 PM
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa232/nikokochan/classic_newspaperbw.gif

fragman85
03-31-2009, 08:52 PM
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa232/nikokochan/classic_newspaperbw.gif

Neat

acaremon02
03-31-2009, 08:59 PM
Neat
Thanks,
We're not using it.
:)

MysticX2X
04-01-2009, 01:29 AM
I don't like the bend in that :(.

The Graalian Times sounded nice. I think Death came up with it.

EclipsedAngel
04-01-2009, 02:57 AM
One of the players can be Paperboy and it'll be just like the game.

jorollychu
04-01-2009, 02:59 AM
shut up shimmy

grim_squeaker_x
04-01-2009, 03:00 AM
The Daily/weekly/monthly Classic

acaremon02
04-01-2009, 03:11 AM
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa232/nikokochan/classictimespixel300.gif

MysticX2X
04-01-2009, 03:23 AM
Nice but the page turn looks bothersome :(

Luda
04-01-2009, 03:31 AM
Page turn looks awesome, otherwise it would just be plain.

MysticX2X
04-01-2009, 03:39 AM
Maybe that can be a feature when you actually have a mouseover to page turn? (Assuming you can turn pages with a mouse).

Also, Content would not make it plain.

acaremon02
04-01-2009, 03:42 AM
I was thinking of putting an arrow on the top right corner where the second page peeks so you can click on it to turn the page...

However at the moment, classic has nothing noteworthy to publish. It shall remain that way until something amazing/miraculous happens.

BlackSolider
04-01-2009, 03:49 AM
It would be difficult to find consistently interesting content to write about, though it would possibly be manageable if it was a weekly thing and a good staff was assembled.

Mark Sir Link
04-01-2009, 05:43 AM
in recent news CTF was hosted again last night

EclipsedAngel
04-01-2009, 06:02 AM
shut up shimmy

I know something that you don't.

DutchGuy
04-01-2009, 12:01 PM
I was thinking of putting an arrow on the top right corner where the second page peeks so you can click on it to turn the page...

However at the moment, classic has nothing noteworthy to publish. It shall remain that way until something amazing/miraculous happens.

That's stupid.
There is enough to write about.
you could write about released stuff, management gossip or rumours.
You could write about events, like CTF's or other events.
You could add a reminder to the monthly spar that happens every month on classic (like a countdown page)
You could assign reporters, that have exclusive interviews with some of the longest sitting members or staff of classic (stryker or night or bell or other oldbies)
Everytime the news is updated to a newer one, you could add a walktrough or hint or tips page about a quest or item to get.
Or you could reveal secrets that barely anyone knows.
Add a graal wordseeker. (as in puzzle)

ffcmike
04-01-2009, 01:28 PM
That's stupid.
There is enough to write about.
you could write about released stuff, management gossip or rumours.
You could write about events, like CTF's or other events.
You could add a reminder to the monthly spar that happens every month on classic (like a countdown page)
You could assign reporters, that have exclusive interviews with some of the longest sitting members or staff of classic (stryker or night or bell or other oldbies)
Everytime the news is updated to a newer one, you could add a walktrough or hint or tips page about a quest or item to get.
Or you could reveal secrets that barely anyone knows.
Add a graal wordseeker. (as in puzzle)

This is exactly what i had in mind actually,
it had even been contemplated for the Newspaper to start a side quest aswell:
"Lunatic Escapes From Babord Asylum", so for instance you head to Babord and there happens to be a bounty for "Little Prince" ;) which ofcourse you take up, it's a fun new way of implementing side content + easter eggs.

DutchGuy
04-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Would this newspaper be a daily newspaper or a weekly one? if so, you could also have a hint each weekly update.
let's say after 4 updates (4 weeks) you can assemble 4 hints that lead to a prize? or quest with a prize.

fragman85
04-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Daily...?

Impossible.

xnervNATx
04-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Would this newspaper be a daily newspaper or a weekly one? if so, you could also have a hint each weekly update.
let's say after 4 updates (4 weeks) you can assemble 4 hints that lead to a prize? or quest with a prize.

if we only had 3 quests for the past 4 years then i doubt they will be able to make that happend

Shadow87
04-01-2009, 05:59 PM
That seems to be something that keeps getting overlooked by Higher ups laura, I do not think i'll ever understand why.

But I think a newspaper for classic should be weekly, people won't get tired of it, if it comes out weekly they'll want to read it every week it comes out to see all the stuff that classic has going for it in that week. People just have to be able to provide us with those updates first :) NO MISPRINTS!

acaremon02
04-01-2009, 05:59 PM
This is exactly what i had in mind actually,
it had even been contemplated for the Newspaper to start a side quest aswell:
"Lunatic Escapes From Babord Asylum", so for instance you head to Babord and there happens to be a bounty for "Little Prince" ;) which ofcourse you take up, it's a fun new way of implementing side content + easter eggs.

Thanks Thor,
for using my own idea against me..

Only last time I suggested it, you said no one's going to work on it.

At least it's nice to know you listen.

By the way, could you get the template I made semi-working so I can see what I need to fix? I've asked this so many times on RC..

At the rate the newspaper's working out right now,
I was hoping it would be a monthly paper.

MysticX2X
04-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Having it be a monthly paper removes any innovative hype behind this paper.

Shadow87
04-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Yes, having a monthly paper is for lack of a better term, retarded.

acaremon02
04-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Having it be a monthly paper removes any innovative hype behind this paper.

And pulling out half-assed stories/news in a span of 3-6 days isn't going to remove any innovated hype behind the paper?

I'd understand if it's just one column or a frontpage, but with all the other stuff to be added. IDK.

Quality not quantity. Let's not exhaust our creative juices.
(Plus, month goes by in a blink of an eye. A peron must have no life but Graal if he/she think it goes by that slow.)

BlackSolider
04-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Although a monthly paper would fit better in terms of the time in between news on classic (maybe it should be a yearly paper if we just covered releases,) I think a weekly paper would be much better. If the staff is good enough, it won't be filled with filler stories and junk mail. It will have well thought out content that will engage the audience, and perhaps some intelligent reporters will have a continual story going, ending at just the right moment to keep audiences waiting for next week's drama.

So yeah. A good staff should be able to make enough good articles for a weekly paper. Keyword = should. I guess we'll find out.

Quick thought, paper every two weeks instead of one? Discuss.

Luda
04-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Will all the news be archived or just erased?

MysticX2X
04-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Well...Think about this:

A.)If it's monthly, I better expect the best newspaper every month if a team will take that much.
B.) If it sucks, the newspaper will lose all credibility because it'll take a month to recover.
C.)It wouldn't be sloppy if there were a few writers who were doing this weekly with a few articles. There can always be something to add to a newspaper every week along with some humor too.
D.) Stories just don't come blasting at a writers face. They have to look for some.

acaremon02
04-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Quick thought, paper every two weeks instead of one? Discuss.

I agree.

Will all the news be archived or just erased?

I wanted to make them image files so they can be archived, but I don't know how graal server works so maybe text files can be archived as well, and may take less file space, IDK.

Well...Think about this:

A.)If it's monthly, I better expect the best newspaper every month if a team will take that much.
B.) If it sucks, the newspaper will lose all credibility because it'll take a month to recover.
C.)It wouldn't be sloppy if there were a few writers who were doing this weekly with a few articles. There can always be something to add to a newspaper every week along with some humor too.
D.) Stories just don't come blasting at a writers face. They have to look for some.

A) lol
B) Yikes
C) Thor's idea was to involve the players (which I support 100%) and have them take charge of the newspaper. They can submit stories, new ideas, etc and the staff can just format/organize and update the newspaper (the technical stuff). The problem is, they need to be politically correct and must be reviewed/edited. Now how long would that take?
D) no comment.

xnervNATx
04-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Well...Think about this:

im always expecting you to host good and not biased event , yet i was very dissapointed so far

BlackSolider
04-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Another quick thought.

Competing newspapers? Granted this isn't a capitalist economy (hell we have no economy), but its always nice to get different points of view.

Perhaps all the stories/articles/pics can be put on a website, just for reference.

MysticX2X
04-01-2009, 10:04 PM
C) Thor's idea was to involve the players (which I support 100%) and have them take charge of the newspaper. They can submit stories, new ideas, etc and the staff can just format/organize and update the newspaper (the technical stuff). The problem is, they need to be politically correct and must be reviewed/edited. Now how long would that take?

I would assume the Staff would set it up where it can be player ran. A staff member would oversee that the content is appropriate. I would assume the players would be article hunting all week and it shouldn't take more than an hour or two to actually write a short article of something.

im always expecting you to host good and not biased event , yet i was very dissapointed so far
What does this have to do with anything at all? Not that I even know what you are typing.

@Gladius: I don't even think there is a big enough playerbase for competing papers.

StrykerTFFD
04-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Competing newspapers? Granted this isn't a capitalist economy (hell we have no economy), but its always nice to get different points of view.

Since material is spread thin, I'd much rather one paper with an opinion story, two stories written about the same topic with two points of view. That way people only need one paper to get both sides of a story and we have material to fill a paper up rather than trying to fill two.

The problem is, they need to be politically correct and must be reviewed/edited. Now how long would that take?

The process of editing stories and organizing them for the paper really doesn't take more than a few hours. It always starts slow but once you get into the mind set you can usually pick out what needs to change or go rather quickly.

BlackSolider
04-01-2009, 11:21 PM
IMO the writers should be free to write as they wish. If they don't put out quality work, they will be fired. However, what they right about, should be open. An editor needs to check for speeling and, grammatical, errors. Yes, I did that on purpose. But they don't need to be making major changes to the paper. At least that's how I feel as a writer. Make sure my paper is appropriate (no racism, sexism, or excessive swearing,) but otherwise leave it alone, outside of a tweak.

StrykerTFFD
04-02-2009, 12:02 AM
IMO the writers should be free to write as they wish. If they don't put out quality work, they will be fired. However, what they right about, should be open. An editor needs to check for speeling and, grammatical, errors. Yes, I did that on purpose. But they don't need to be making major changes to the paper. At least that's how I feel as a writer. Make sure my paper is appropriate (no racism, sexism, or excessive swearing,) but otherwise leave it alone, outside of a tweak.

No offense, but that's completely backwards to how a paper works. If this is going to happen it should be done right.

BlackSolider
04-02-2009, 12:07 AM
I know. But this isn't the wall street journal. It's a player-run newspaper idea. The players run it; the players make it work. If one player (or however many are needed) can control all content because they are the editor(s), then in reality the players do not run it, like the idea suggests.

StrykerTFFD
04-02-2009, 12:17 AM
I know. But this isn't the wall street journal. It's a player-run newspaper idea. The players run it; the players make it work. If one player (or however many are needed) can control all content because they are the editor(s), then in reality the players do not run it, like the idea suggests.

What runs a paper? The stories. Without stories there isn't a paper. Players write the stories that run the paper. Just because there's somebody who makes sure the paper stays on track and makes sure the stories are polished does not mean that person runs the paper. When you see on a story, Written by:Name here, you can bet the story has been edited by 5 or more so people. The person credited is the original writer, which would be a player most likely. The process may not be entirely player run, but the paper would be.

You're confusing the idea of control and overseeing. There has to be somebody overseeing the content, not babysitting it as you're suggesting.

BlackSolider
04-02-2009, 12:32 AM
Maybe I'm just paranoid. I've just never liked nor needed anyone to edit my papers because I believe they're uber-rific enough already.

StrykerTFFD
04-02-2009, 12:34 AM
Maybe I'm just paranoid. I've just never liked nor needed anyone to edit my papers because I believe they're uber-rific enough already.

No paper is perfect. Ever.

Mark Sir Link
04-02-2009, 01:04 AM
Make sure my paper is appropriate (no racism, sexism, or excessive swearing,) but otherwise leave it alone, outside of a tweak.

let's ask the People's Republic of China for tips on how to go about doing this

BlackSolider
04-02-2009, 01:08 AM
@ stryker.

Indeed they are not.

@ kevin.

I'm sure we have a few people on classic who can be mostly professional and mature...

MysticX2X
04-02-2009, 01:24 AM
You guys are taking the professionality of a game server's newspaper to a great extent. Any idea should be more for player joy. Being pressured about editing all the time, with no great benefit, can destroy some motivation.

StrykerTFFD
04-02-2009, 01:28 AM
You guys are taking the professionality of a game server's newspaper to a great extent. Any idea should be more for player joy. Being pressured about editing all the time, with no great benefit, can destroy some motivation.

Yes, but you can be professional and enjoyable at the same time. That would be a sign of a good paper.

Shadow87
04-02-2009, 01:39 AM
Yea stryker, a Graal news paper that no one but a few kids will ever read. I agree that it should be professional, but I think a heated debate over something that might take a couple of years to produce, like everything else on graal, is a bit much at this point.

MysticX2X
04-02-2009, 01:39 AM
Yes, but you can be professional and enjoyable at the same time. That would be a sign of a good paper.
True. But we are going to get people who might not be the best writers in the world. Of course if the story is crap, you might want to ditch that writer, but I'd suggest to go with the flow, and not have some grammar picky person overseeing this all. The writers are unpaid at all and can only benefit from someone enjoying their column. Chances are people are going to like anything that is given to them on a Classic newspaper under decent means.

Nataxo's newspaper for Era wasn't grammar/spelling perfect, but people still liked it

BlackSolider
04-02-2009, 01:45 AM
If it makes sense and is fun/funny/intelligent/entertaining to read, a few speeling or grammatical, errors can be overlooked.

At least imo.

StrykerTFFD
04-02-2009, 02:23 AM
Professional doesn't mean demanding perfection. We used to find errors in our papers all the time after print. You can't expect perfection, it's not realistic. I don't think anyone would ever do that.

Ares
04-02-2009, 04:38 AM
i don't know if anyone mentioned this in the last 2 pages, but you could have a column in the paper that can be rented out by a player for a certain amount of tickets or gralats.. or you could just have an auction to determine who would get a column for a week or month

acaremon02
04-02-2009, 05:59 AM
i don't know if anyone mentioned this in the last 2 pages, but you could have a column in the paper that can be rented out by a player for a certain amount of tickets or gralats.. or you could just have an auction to determine who would get a column for a week or month

That is a good idea.
I left a section on the newspaper open for advertisement people can purchase, but there's not enough to advertise on the game so I guess we can turn that into a column/opinion page for the players.

Luda
04-02-2009, 06:01 AM
Could have a little box that says the latest poll update and under it says "Go and vote!"

acaremon02
04-02-2009, 06:08 AM
Could have a little box that says the latest poll update and under it says "Go and vote!"

lol the poll update is actually going to be on the right column of front page,
with the new poll results from the past week.

Luda
04-02-2009, 06:19 AM
lol nice

acaremon02
04-02-2009, 06:41 AM
lol nice

Or that's what I was planning..
Not approved by Thor yet, I have a feeling it's not what he has down on his paper.

xnervNATx
04-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Or that's what I was planning..
Not approved by Thor yet, I have a feeling it's not what he has down on his paper.

are you going to write that newspaper

acaremon02
04-03-2009, 06:29 AM
are you going to write that newspaper

No but I was hoping to make an organized template for the newspaper.
Perhaps I'll help come up with ideas as well.
English is a tough language for me so I doubt I'll be writing anything though.

fa12
04-04-2009, 05:35 PM
I support the newspaper!

ffcmike
04-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Update:
There has been some progress made towards this,
both towards the newspaper system itself aswell as towards the levels inwhich the newpaper would be implemented.
But the idea is still very much in its early stages, it's difficult to put any type of date on it as of yet.