PDA

View Full Version : SuperNicks in Depth

ffcmike
03-28-2009, 03:33 AM
I am aware Master Storm already made a thread regarding this project,
but i thought i would elaborate on this.

We intend not only for SuperNicks to become the main Arena again,
but to encourage combat itself.

All of the levels are pretty much tiled and done.
The focus of the levelling was to keep the original layout and feel of SuperNicks but with a tad more detail, aswell as scrap all of the pointless themed spar levels.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/176/sn1.th.gif (http://img6.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sn1.gif)

As you can see here, the entrance is more or less the same,
crucial differences being the entrance to the main spar arena, and 2 side rooms containing the seperate Spar and PK levels.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7120/sn2.th.gif (http://img6.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sn2.gif)

The main spar arena is straight forward, and somewhat more changed from the original admittedly.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2252/sn3.th.gif (http://img6.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sn3.gif)

This level may be more familiar, but again with some clear differences.
This is based on the current "secret" spar within the curtains, but has been adapted into a Tag Team spar.

The other spar level is an arena which uses the Default Hit Detection.
There is also a Default PK level to go with the normal PK level, aswell as "Level 14" Hardcore PK (use of NPCs permitted).

The delay of release is currently down to the fact a completely new and customisable spar arena system class is being made,
not only for SuperNicks but for any future arena.

It should be much easier to implement than what is currently being used at Exodus.
It should also be an improvement, it has similar features to Ibonics old spar in terms of extra displays, options and effects, including some of the ideas (albeit intended in the first place) posted within the other thread like celebrations and sparrer health display.
It is also planned to use a Warp Jewel.

The basics of the Spar System such as the queue > warp > weapons enabled are mostly done, it is all the extra detail, aswell as the Tag Team option which are currently the focus.

jorollychu
03-28-2009, 04:10 AM
**** sparring but dude make it so everyone only has 1 hp in the overworld

too bad ibonic deleted his stuff cuz that was good

ffcmike
03-28-2009, 04:13 AM
**** sparring but dude make it so everyone only has 1 hp in the overworld

too bad ibonic deleted his stuff cuz that was good

Thank you for enlightening me. :asleep:

DarkCloud_PK
03-28-2009, 08:11 AM
Add a hotkey for joining the queue.
Its been suggested many times by kill and is simple to add.

edit: or add a button that pops up where you can click to join queue, as of now there isnt much mouse support on classic and it is heavily keyboard based, any mouse support would be a good thing imo.

Mark Sir Link
03-28-2009, 08:18 AM

edit: or add a button that pops up where you can click to join queue, as of now there isnt much mouse support on classic and it is heavily keyboard based, any mouse support would be a good thing imo.

What was the point of your many page thread asking for suggestions if you plan to forward them to higher ups via the forums?

jacob_bald6225
03-28-2009, 08:21 AM

DOS like chat commands are a waste, everything players touch should be interfaced.--I agree

-Ramirez-
03-28-2009, 09:47 AM
DOS like chat commands are a waste, everything players touch should be interfaced.--I agree
In your opnion. Interfaces are great for people who don't mind using the keyboard and mouse at the same time, but the option should exist for someone to stay traditional with the keyboard only. There's probably little to no reason to not have both.

Kill
03-28-2009, 02:19 PM
I agree with DC.
Quite surprised it's been atleast 2 weeks since it was suggested yet still not implemented.

xnervNATx
03-28-2009, 03:05 PM
I agree with DC.
Quite surprised it's been atleast 2 weeks since it was suggested yet still not implemented.

i do not hate you kill but sometime you annoy me with stuff such as "hey i suggested that a week ago why did you not add it yet?" ive been suggesting thing that sounded good and i dont post 5 times to know if they added it yet.

btw good job to mighty on tiling

DarkCloud_PK
03-28-2009, 04:34 PM
What was the point of your many page thread asking for suggestions if you plan to forward them to higher ups via the forums?

It hasn't been implemented yet, so I suggested it again plus my own idea for it(mouse support). Can you find something better to do than try to discredit my every post? It isn't like you're going to be having a part of what Classic will have to offer anyway, seeing as you can't play the server for the rest of your life.

Shadow87
03-28-2009, 04:57 PM
As long as supernicks still does have its secrets to it and its original feeling, i don't see why people shouldn't like it. I'm actually looking foward to its new re-release.

But dont forget, it could backfire, im assuming people like Exos because of its cozy, small feeling atmosphere where players can bond and spar and such.

BlackSolider
03-28-2009, 05:16 PM
What will become of exos after the revamped supernicks is released, I wonder.

xnervNATx
03-28-2009, 06:08 PM
What will become of exos after the revamped supernicks is released, I wonder.

finally dead

Kill
03-28-2009, 06:22 PM
i do not hate you kill but sometime you annoy me with stuff such as "hey i suggested that a week ago why did you not add it yet?" ive been suggesting thing that sounded good and i dont post 5 times to know if they added it yet.
Sometimes, repetition is the only way of getting the message across for action to be done.
If you want me to expand on this I'll be glad to.

BlackSolider
03-28-2009, 08:55 PM
I'll be glad to as well.

MysticX2X
03-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Sometimes, repetition is the only way of getting the message across for action to be done.

Sometimes repetition can be annoying while the opposite party already knows, and has it on their long list of things to do.

xnervNATx
03-28-2009, 10:50 PM

do you really think if you annoy someone with so small suggestion they will make it right away since u asked them to?

ffcmike
03-29-2009, 04:01 AM
do you really think if you annoy someone with so small suggestion they will make it right away since u asked them to?

Laura does make a point here,
i had already mentioned that suggestions had been noted,
the suggestion of a hotkey is not being ignored.

The new arena system is yet to be implemented,
and going back and adding it to the old one will only make things take longer, regardless of how many times it is suggested.

ffcmike
04-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Update:
This is something i had expected to have been done by now,
unfortunately it isn't, but it's not a case of the project being abandoned if anyone thought so,
WhiteDragon hasn't been on much throughout the past week or so and last i heard before this the delay was down to the tag team/multiple sparrers option.

If it does take too long to complete every idea we could always cut back on the luxuries and implement what we have.

Shadow87
04-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Um no.

Cutback the luxuries and start putting useful content up. Stuff that makes it an actual adventure game.

I think the key aspect Graal the Adventure/Classic is missing, is adventure. Its been failed to have been realized still, hopefully that will happen soon. Maybe if someone else says it they will actually listen.

MysticX2X
04-21-2009, 07:24 PM
As much as attractions other than quests...

Shadow87
04-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Not quite sure what you mean by that mystic...But Adventure games need adventure in them. Classic no longer has that.

It should either be considered a Chat server, or just like...i don't know..a sit around and maybe someone will host server?

I honestly do not know.

BlackSolider
04-21-2009, 08:11 PM
It hasn't been considered a "sit around and chat until someone decides to host sumo or ctf" server for the past two years?

MysticX2X
04-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Not quite sure what you mean by that mystic...But Adventure games need adventure in them. Classic no longer has that.

It should either be considered a Chat server, or just like...i don't know..a sit around and maybe someone will host server?

I honestly do not know.

I'm saying the attractions outside of quests should be given better priority since well...That's what players will be doing most of the time! Quests don't last forever and there needs to be things outside of quests.

Shadow87
04-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Well if the Dev team was actually good at developing games (since that is their point) Then they would know how to give a quest replay value. Little things here and there. I agree that outside attractions are important, but those can come with sidequests, or just along the way even. They actually have been given to much priority now.

BlackSolider
04-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Tats, explain to me how a classic quest could have replay value. Perhaps the item you got at the end disintegrates over time and thus you have to do the quest again? Idk, I'm new to the "renewable quest" idea, so feel free to explain it to me.

Shadow87
04-21-2009, 08:43 PM
You are new to it ? Replay value in games has been a big thing all the time.

Lets say for example, you are playing chrono trigger, that has quests that involve doing one in one time period, and having to do the same quest, but its got its differences, in another time period.

Or, being able to do the quests with different amounts of players, and the more players you do it with, maybe the item is different, or the difficulty is different because you have more players helping you.

Anything along those lines. Now if the dev team just isnt skilled enough to do that, then thats a different story and they should stop trying to be advanced, and just be basic. Sometimes being basic is the best route to go.

Or look at GTA, filled with replay value.

...Grand theft auto btw. And i realize some of these games arent in the same genre but yea you get the point.

MysticX2X
04-21-2009, 08:51 PM
We're comparing games that took years to make with paid developers to a game with unpaid developers?

BlackSolider
04-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Ok, for a classic explain, explain how we could add replay value to say, the gnome quest or sardon's tower quest.

xnervNATx
04-21-2009, 08:56 PM
id like to redo those quest over and over , SRSLY

maximus_asinus
04-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Ok, for a classic explain, explain how we could add replay value to say, the gnome quest or sardon's tower quest.We could add some sort of "Time Attack" mode where whoever completes a quest faster is awarded with some sort of trophy.

BlackSolider
04-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Interesting idea max.

Shadow87
04-21-2009, 10:10 PM
We're comparing games that took years to make with paid developers to a game with unpaid developers?

Well if you aren't going to try hard then why try at all? Classic has been years in the making still, and like I said, if you don't have the skill to be advanced, stick with basic stuff still.

And you don't have to add to those two quests glad, could add different difficulties though.

But it could be added to quests not released yet, but they should be the ones thinking of ways to do it, its just my suggestion to say put in replay content :).

Shadow87
04-21-2009, 10:11 PM
We could add some sort of "Time Attack" mode where whoever completes a quest faster is awarded with some sort of trophy.

and yes, that's a perfect idea!'

Polo
04-22-2009, 03:43 PM
We could add some sort of "Time Attack" mode where whoever completes a quest faster is awarded with some sort of trophy.
That's an excellent idea, and would fit quite well with some of the quest ideas I've been designing. ^^

maximus_asinus
04-22-2009, 05:13 PM
I also agree, that was an excellent idea.

Shadow87
04-22-2009, 05:58 PM

Excellent.

Luda
04-22-2009, 08:04 PM

Yes this is a great idea! We could also add a Time Attack!

Shadow87
04-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Luda not funny!
Luda not funny!

Luda
04-22-2009, 08:48 PM
excellent

maximus_asinus
04-23-2009, 12:13 AM
Yes this is a great idea! We could also add a Time Attack!what an excellent idea Luda!

Luda
04-23-2009, 12:17 AM
what an excellent idea Luda!

Superb! Extraordinary! MARVELOUS!!!!!

ffcmike
04-23-2009, 12:34 PM
One potential issue with time attack is the possibility of staff either using powers themself or in order to help another player, this already seems to occur too much without any further objective than to complete the Quest.

I think it would be better for any Quest to contain some type of fast-paced Clientside based mini game challenge inwhich it is hard to manipulate the outcome via staff powers,
the type of challenges i have in mind are the minigames from Mario RPG where while it was necessary for them to be completed in order to progress you were able to play again to achieve highscores and earn currency/prizes for doing so, like the waterfall game.

Remaking the Ninji Barrel ride would be a perfect example of this, aswell as some Hermit Crab challenge that was intended to be part of a new set of Quests which is mostly done, ofcourse these would require the option of disabling summoning/custom health or no healing in order to be staff-proof, the same could be said about time-attacks aswell but disabling summoning for Quests in their entirety could probably cause more problems than it would solve.

maximus_asinus
04-23-2009, 03:10 PM
is it not possible to have some sort of detection for players ontag/warping/being warped/etc?

ffcmike
04-23-2009, 03:21 PM
There is,
Staff Warping is custom rather than built-in but it's an old and somewhat messy system, adding controls + restrictions would be alot more complicated and time consuming than it ought to be, it would be better to just redo it entirely, but would that be seen as progress?

DutchGuy
04-23-2009, 04:27 PM
One potential issue with time attack is the possibility of staff either using powers themself or in order to help another player, this already seems to occur too much without any further objective than to complete the Quest.

I think it would be better for any Quest to contain some type of fast-paced Clientside based mini game challenge inwhich it is hard to manipulate the outcome via staff powers,
the type of challenges i have in mind are the minigames from Mario RPG where while it was necessary for them to be completed in order to progress you were able to play again to achieve highscores and earn currency/prizes for doing so, like the waterfall game.

Remaking the Ninji Barrel ride would be a perfect example of this, aswell as some Hermit Crab challenge that was intended to be part of a new set of Quests which is mostly done, ofcourse these would require the option of disabling summoning/custom health or no healing in order to be staff-proof, the same could be said about time-attacks aswell but disabling summoning for Quests in their entirety could probably cause more problems than it would solve.

Time limit quests i have not seen yet, but I would like to have quests on classic that contain assignments.
I remember back in the days, you had to meet the chancellor and the king to get assignments. You could have the king say" you have 2 minutes to get to Avalon to meet up with "crystal", if you are not there in time she will take the last boat out and u have to wait 1 day to get a chance to see her again.

Crystal would be a girl who's seeing things others dont see, (like in silent hill) and you would have to solve mini quests in order to reveal what crystals big secret is (all time-wise) in the end, crystal who at first is a hot meat hubby, changes to a fat bastard monster who's taking over graal!!!

ffcmike
04-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Currently you do have to speak to the King in order to start further Quests.
It could be a good idea to impose time requirements on activities but preventing Quests from being played for such a length of time would likely cause players to simply lose interest and log off, there might be something else for them to do within this time which wouldn't be a problem for regular players but it's unlikely that new players would have full knowledge of such content.

Rufus
04-23-2009, 05:00 PM
It could be a good idea to impose time requirements on activities but preventing Quests from being played for such a length of time would likely cause players to simply lose interest and log off, there might be something else for them to do within this time which wouldn't be a problem for regular players but it's unlikely that new players would have full knowledge of such content.

As opposed to..?

Shadow87
04-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Rufus i love how you never have anything more to say than a couple of words. Acting like you know everything, You already proved yourself to be a little less stupid than a monkey. So why don't you take your own advice to me, and say something productive for once.

Thor I like the idea of using mini games similar to those of Mario RPG, we can even use mini games similar to those from Zelda, like the archery mini game, bomb mini games, anything along those lines but with your Dev teams own touch to it.

Also maybe adding mini games to certain towns to get more use out of them. Like snowtown, or onet, or any of those towns now, even graal city now, Mini game buildings could be added to those cities, gralat prizes and such could be in there, I don't know with that, but you get the idea.

Rufus
04-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Rufus i love how you never have anything more to say than a couple of words. Acting like you know everything, You already proved yourself to be a little less stupid than a monkey. So why don't you take your own advice to me, and say something productive for once.

I guess when someone asks a question, most people do automatically assume that they think they know everything. That makes perfect sense.

jacob_bald6225
04-23-2009, 09:47 PM

Why not make it so someone could remove disputed times... and fire staff for abusing their moving/warping powers?

Remonq
04-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Thor I like the idea of using mini games similar to those of Mario RPG, we can even use mini games similar to those from Zelda, like the archery mini game, bomb mini games, anything along those lines but with your Dev teams own touch to it.

bring back the MoD dunk tank >_<

contego
05-03-2009, 07:02 AM
Good ol' Super Nicks. -.- I remember when they had the big demolition/event. It was very laggy and sad :( I'd like to see SuperNicks back! :)