PDA

View Full Version : Quests?! Wtf?

Oni
03-18-2009, 09:20 PM
Ok im just very confused.

Why do some of you people (mostly just old classic players) WANT QUESTS?
WHY?
Why do you want quests, whats so fun about ***** 2d puzzles that arent fun at all.
Even if they were SOMEWHAT fun, how fun can they possibly be?
If you want quests so bad just go play WoW or the actual Zelda games.
All I see "quests" doing to classic atm, is just wasting the Developers time.
Theres a **** load of other content that could be created instead of working with stupid scripts to create garbage time wasters like Sardon, and Gnome quests.

Someone seriously tell me their opinion on quests because im confused as ****.

xnervNATx
03-18-2009, 09:20 PM
quest bring more players , players bring more money , money bring opularity

Oni
03-18-2009, 09:21 PM
but they take to long to make

xnervNATx
03-18-2009, 09:22 PM
true . but some are quite fun when they are made properly

Kill
03-18-2009, 09:25 PM
I personally HATE them.
I agree with you Oni... but there's NOTHING to do on Classic... it's just a chatroom with people being able to change their outfits... Some events too but that's it.

So, Classic has to have quests so that it brings "enjoyment" to the older players so that they play again.

BlackSolider
03-18-2009, 09:28 PM
Quests are only good for A) releasing items to the public and B) carrying along a storyline, though they obviously have a limit b/c of a one-time use.

Oni
03-18-2009, 09:28 PM
true . but some are quite fun when they are made properly

How in the hell are they fun? Maybe if it's a group quest, but i'm talking solo.

Ya and I have no idea why thor isnt making any group quests, why the hell would I play a multiplayer game to solo a quest.

Whats so cool about a story line, sounds *** if you ask me.

xnervNATx
03-18-2009, 09:34 PM
ya make group quest , like someone has to click a button to hold a bridge while the other go on the other side to another switch so the second person can cross it

Kill
03-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Agreed.
Same goes for Bowling... When you go bowling irl, do you play with yourself? (lol stay with me here)... No.
You play with your friends and compete to win. The current bowling failed because there was no interactivity...
Look at UN's bowling and how successful it is... Why's this the case? because it recognises its essential to have a COMMUNITY.

xnervNATx
03-18-2009, 09:36 PM
un bowling aways rocked , clasic bowling always failed

jacob_bald6225
03-18-2009, 10:00 PM
How in the hell are they fun? Maybe if it's a group quest, but i'm talking solo.

Ya and I have no idea why thor isnt making any group quests, why the hell would I play a multiplayer game to solo a quest.

Whats so cool about a story line, sounds *** if you ask me.

Yah if you make a quest well it will be fun and not a chore.

Why is any game fun? Why is CTF fun? Because you get stats and get items... oh wow. Quests cater to a different group of people who want to play a GAME(With a set beginning and a set end) and not a series of unconnected dots to get some god dammed sparkly effect NPC(Events).

In essence it's like this:

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1415/techogreenbaby.gif VShttp://img120.imageshack.us/img120/661/alinkto.jpg

Events VS Quests

Rufus
03-18-2009, 10:03 PM
People feel as though they want the old quests back, the old overworld, etc when really it's just a comfort blanket. In a development sense, releasing a quest acts as a hook for attaining players, especially on Classic. As quests only generally take up a small amount of time, they shouldn't be the heavy focus. Mini, renewable quests are probably more fun in an MMORPG sense too.

DutchGuy
03-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Just release old content in a new coat. As in revive stuff in newer quests.
Maybe the same rewards, but different missions to complete.
There you have it.
Old and new.:)

Oni
03-19-2009, 01:35 AM
Yah if you make a quest well it will be fun and not a chore.

Why is any game fun? Why is CTF fun? Because you get stats and get items... oh wow. Quests cater to a different group of people who want to play a GAME(With a set beginning and a set end) and not a series of unconnected dots to get some god dammed sparkly effect NPC(Events).

Games are fun to me because they are competative. Ctf is fun because you get to work as a team and show off your skill, and after talk alot of **** if you won.

jacob_bald6225
03-19-2009, 02:06 AM
Games are fun to me because they are competative. Ctf is fun because you get to work as a team and show off your skill, and after talk alot of **** if you won.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1415/techogreenbaby.gif

Bell
03-19-2009, 02:14 AM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion Oni but not all of us like events, some of us enjoy quests. Classic has always been about quests. As far as Thor planning no group quests? You're wrong.

kia345
03-19-2009, 02:17 AM
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1415/techogreenbaby.gif

Or the "teamwork" and "competition" can be successfully implemented in the quests. Multiplayer and singleplayer don't need to be kept apart.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/RamenJunkie/NowPlaying/Zelda_Four_Swords.jpg

Oni
03-19-2009, 02:19 AM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion Oni but not all of us like events, some of us enjoy quests. Classic has always been about quests. As far as Thor planning no group quests? You're wrong.

woah woah woah bell, i didnt say he wasnt planning any group quests, I said why isnt he MAKING any group quests.
And if classic has always been about quests, how come the last 3 years ive played had nothing to do with quests.

Bell
03-19-2009, 02:24 AM
There were 3 quests made/remade to be better. Where you been Oni. Do you think quests can be made in a day? i
If you even spend only a week on a good quest its gonna be crap.

Rufus
03-19-2009, 02:34 AM
There were 3 quests made/remade to be better.

Well, not really.

Mark Sir Link
03-19-2009, 03:58 AM
There were 3 quests made/remade to be better. Where you been Oni. Do you think quests can be made in a day? i
If you even spend only a week on a good quest its gonna be crap.

the average zelda game must take 15 years to make

DarkCloud_PK
03-19-2009, 04:01 AM
honestly if you had the dedication, you could convert an old quest in a week or two, or make a whole new one in a month.
it isn't like we're lacking in things to convert or unfinished things that can be used.

-Ramirez-
03-19-2009, 06:18 AM
honestly if you had the dedication, you could convert an old quest in a week or two, or make a whole new one in a month
Have fun finding someone who wants to do that with the horrible system scripts that aren't even close to mimicking the default stuff the quests were designed for. I probably would have done at least one if I had came back to something reasonably decent. (I'm not saying it's YOUR fault, as I don't think you've had a large part to do with any of the current global system scripts. It was just a convenient post to respond to..)

DarkCloud_PK
03-19-2009, 06:21 AM
you get to learn how to use them after awhile.
once cards are done im pretty free to take on any project if need be.

-Ramirez-
03-19-2009, 07:07 AM
you get to learn how to use them after awhile
Learning to adjust to their patheticness isn't as much a problem as the fact that they don't even function well, or at all. Baddies being the best example of this.

DarkCloud_PK
03-19-2009, 07:10 AM
well you have to take the options available to you.

Learn to use the current systems to the best of your ability
Redo the systems to work better.
Go back to default and start from scratch.

Which ones gives the players new content?

-Ramirez-
03-19-2009, 07:24 AM
Which ones gives the players new content?
You're forgetting the easiest one of all.

Don't waste your time.

Mark Sir Link
03-19-2009, 07:58 AM
Learning to adjust to their patheticness isn't as much a problem as the fact that they don't even function well, or at all. Baddies being the best example of this.

so hot

DarkCloud_PK
03-19-2009, 08:51 AM

Don't waste your time.

then don't waste your time.
noone asked you to in the first place.

maximus_asinus
03-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Developer's primary goal should always be quests, as this is what hooks the player in the beginning, and is the foundation a player builds on for the future. I look at these quests as the brick. The developer's secondary goal is the mortar; what you do after the quests are done to keep players around. This is what fills in the cracks, and makes it a cohesive unit. A wall won't function if it is missing one of these components, it'll just fall apart. Just like the wall, a server needs equal parts of this or it too will fall.

Right now Classic is building the second story of a ten floor high rise. We don't have enough brick to complete the project, and the Dev team is pushing to create some. If we stopped now to start working on the mortar, we'd just be telling ourselves that the two stories is good enough, we should just slap on the roof and everything else be damned. This roof would only serve to please the players currently playing, but does not help development in the long run.

DarkCloud_PK
03-19-2009, 09:23 AM
You can't really generate a whole hell of a lot of new players to hook without having a decent player count to start off with. Its the awful catch22 that will plague classic and other low count servers.

Newbies will more likely log onto UN or Zodiac when they see the list for the first time, and not the bottom rung servers. Even if they do, there isnt enough player interactment right now to keep newbies, even with enough hooks, unless you get lucky.
Right now I think the primary objective would be trying to moderate a generally decent playercount to attract enough newbies, then you can work on your hooks to keep them there, with the balance of keeping the old and new, your community can continue to grow and progress, with a nice mixture of older and newer players, that added a part of fun that GTA used to have, the newbies working hard to fit into the older community and eventually succeeding.

xnervNATx
03-19-2009, 04:01 PM

Don't waste your time.

that right dont lose your time!!! make them fast

BlackSolider
03-19-2009, 04:52 PM
A server needs to have something that sets itself apart from all other servers. Quests don't do that. (Usually.) Quests move a storyline along and/or upgrade players w/ items and/or hearts. Content is what separates server A from server B. Right now classic has little content to keep people involved and occupied.

Every server has events; but events can only do so much. We don't have enough quests to upgrade the players. We don't have enough content to keep people busy and happy. The one thing we do have, events, is brought down by our HD and lack of quality prizes.

In summary, quests are important, but not as important as content.

At least from what I've seen.

DutchGuy
03-19-2009, 05:15 PM
You can't really generate a whole hell of a lot of new players to hook without having a decent player count to start off with. Its the awful catch22 that will plague classic and other low count servers.

Newbies will more likely log onto UN or Zodiac when they see the list for the first time, and not the bottom rung servers. Even if they do, there isnt enough player interactment right now to keep newbies, even with enough hooks, unless you get lucky.
Right now I think the primary objective would be trying to moderate a generally decent playercount to attract enough newbies, then you can work on your hooks to keep them there, with the balance of keeping the old and new, your community can continue to grow and progress, with a nice mixture of older and newer players, that added a part of fun that GTA used to have, the newbies working hard to fit into the older community and eventually succeeding.

you hardly see any new player on graal because when they see the prize of this game they laugh out loud and probably think that the people who bought it must have been drunk:). Now you can either focus on the current graal players or stick with the old people that will always stick around. Find a balance between both adn there's a chance.

Kamaeru
03-19-2009, 08:56 PM
replayability

Dungeons are only like 30-40% of what makes up a Zelda game. Think back to A Link to the Past. In that game, each dungeon was specified as a "level", as if just those could be released as its own game such like Mario 1 with no overworld connecting the levels. When you think about it like this, you realize how the people at Nintendo thought about Zelda games, as they wanted it to be an extremely replayable game that combined many elements and different ideas from separate genres.

Such as in games like Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. Those games have hours upon hours of content that is completely interconnected with everything else in the overworld. You can skip many brilliant adventures in both games and still make it to the "end game" and say you're done. Nintendo has already realized the problems that Classic faces, and solved them a looong time ago.

Graal The Adventure had many ways to solve these same problems. It's really quite simple. If you have a multiplayer game with a small amount of players, then you must design a game that appeals to a player that doesn't have many other people to play alongside with. If you design a good game, people will play it and take notice.

Events make more sense on a server with lots of players. Dungeons and exploration make more sense on a server with few players. O_O This cannot be denied!

MysticX2X
03-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Well they could develop new looks for baddies too to make it fun.

Zelda Games do have hours of fun things to do but it usually ends soon enough and you have to wait 2-3 years for the next zelda release.

Small quests are fun too and usually don't take long to put in. Just some leveling and imagination.

Oni
03-19-2009, 10:15 PM

You know what Bell, I read this again, and I read maximus_stupidassniuses responses and I came to this conclusion.

Yea everyones entitled to their opinions, but someones opinion has to be right, and I'm gonna flat out say this I dont care how arogant I sound;
My opinion is just right.

We dont need quests at this point, later yea, not now. We need to think differently and cater to the new age of online gaming period, and quests arent included in that early process.

Darlene159
03-19-2009, 11:58 PM
Yea everyones entitled to their opinions, but someones opinion has to be right, and I'm gonna flat out say this I dont care how arogant I sound;

Opinions dont have to be right or wrong, that's why they are opinions.
One persons opinion wont be agreed upon by everyone, but it doesn't make it wrong.

About quests: Quests are what attracted me to Classic years ago when it was the only server.
I like the quests still today. I would rather use my brain a little bit to gain weapons and items, then to just buy them, win in events, or get them for free

Oni
03-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Opinions dont have to be right or wrong, that's why they are opinions.
One persons opinion wont be agreed upon by everyone, but it doesn't make it wrong.

About quests: Quests are what attracted me to Classic years ago when it was the only server.
I like the quests still today. I would rather use my brain a little bit to gain weapons and items, then to just buy them, win in events, or get them for free

how do you like the quests still today though? they donteven exists anymore

Darlene159
03-20-2009, 12:21 AM
how do you like the quests still today though? they donteven exists anymoreThat's partly why I dont play anymore....

Mark Sir Link
03-20-2009, 02:17 AM

lmao

jorollychu
03-20-2009, 02:21 AM
kenvein

BlackSolider
03-20-2009, 03:04 AM
I'm pretty sure everyone thinks their opinion is right. Otherwise it wouldn't be there opinion.

At least, thats my opinion. Which is right.

xnervNATx
03-20-2009, 05:12 AM
That's partly why I dont play anymore....

im sure your not the only one lol

Cetellic
03-20-2009, 10:30 AM
LOL good quality quests are not that hard to make... it just takes some creativity in how you wanna kill the players trying to complete it, and then make things fun...

mistral_007
03-24-2009, 08:48 AM
Ok im just very confused.

Why do some of you people (mostly just old classic players) WANT QUESTS?
WHY?
Why do you want quests, whats so fun about ***** 2d puzzles that arent fun at all.
Even if they were SOMEWHAT fun, how fun can they possibly be?
If you want quests so bad just go play WoW or the actual Zelda games.
All I see "quests" doing to classic atm, is just wasting the Developers time.
Theres a **** load of other content that could be created instead of working with stupid scripts to create garbage time wasters like Sardon, and Gnome quests.

Someone seriously tell me their opinion on quests because im confused as ****.

If you dont want quest go play another game?

Quest's a part of graal. End of story.

DarkCloud_PK
03-24-2009, 09:24 AM
If you dont want quest go play another game?

Quest's a part of graal. End of story.

I don't think he is saying he doesn't want quests at all.
I think he is trying to say there are other things to focus on besides quests that are more important right now.
Perhaps providing a fun atmosphere to play in outside of events that Classic has clung to life on for so many years.

Quests establish a hook to draw in new players into the server, long enough to establish themselves within the community and make Classic their home.
Right now we don't have new players coming in, since we are so low on the serverlist. Most new players will opt into picking UN/Era/Zod over us by a longshot, and if they do come here, there isnt much of a community to fit into, so most end up leaving. It isn't any fun to play by yourself.

Imperialistic
03-24-2009, 01:31 PM
What is there basically to do on Graal besides actually playing (completing quests).
If their wasn't any quests Graal would basically be a big Chat Room imo.

DarkCloud_PK
03-24-2009, 01:47 PM
quests are usually a one time thing. unless you redo the same ones over and over via reset or new/trial account. quests are a part of the game, but we're asking right now, what is there to do after those quests? what keeps people around after the quests?

the answer right now is not a whole hell of a lot.

mistral_007
03-24-2009, 01:48 PM
I don't think he is saying he doesn't want quests at all.
I think he is trying to say there are other things to focus on besides quests that are more important right now.
Perhaps providing a fun atmosphere to play in outside of events that Classic has clung to life on for so many years.

Quests establish a hook to draw in new players into the server, long enough to establish themselves within the community and make Classic their home.
Right now we don't have new players coming in, since we are so low on the serverlist. Most new players will opt into picking UN/Era/Zod over us by a longshot, and if they do come here, there isnt much of a community to fit into, so most end up leaving. It isn't any fun to play by yourself.

No hes questioning the whole idea with quests. Maybe this is why they have GC LATs too...

DarkCloud_PK
03-24-2009, 02:10 PM
They have GC LATs for that endgame, but it isn't supposed to be 100% GC endgame.
However, Night frequently has gotten lucky with being able to have a stable personal scripter(essentially the GC LAT, it hasn't really ever been a team, just one or two of us) or two at his disposal during the last few years while the LAT Teams had their ups and downs, which turned endgame content into the heavily GC controlled area it is now. It was never meant to be that way, things were never planned for such a large gc content and portion to the server, and such has spiraled out of control.

For such a long expanse of time that this has been the way, it changed how the server operated, and not for the better in the long run.

But as I've explained before, I personally like quests, but they do take considerable time to make unless you're not considering quality at all into it.
The long term goal should be for a bunch of quests, both new and old and all in between.
However, the short term should be concentrating on getting out of the stagnation we've been in as far as content in general, and quests just don't do that as effectively as other things.

BlackSolider
03-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Gladius approves the above post.