PDA

View Full Version : Actually making design decisions.

jacob_bald6225
03-16-2009, 11:35 PM
Does anyone else find it ridiculous that the design of the game for each player can be completely different? Online games shouldn't have 3 slightly varied tilesets, they should have one universal tileset.

Edit: Poll added at Rufus' request.

maximus_asinus
03-16-2009, 11:45 PM
I agree.

I was trying to make a few levels the other day and I had to revise them 3 times because an error came up with each tileset.

Rufus
03-16-2009, 11:48 PM
Online games shouldn't have 3 slightly varied tilesets, they should have one universal tileset.

No games should have them, that's why I voted for the single.

Luda
03-16-2009, 11:49 PM
Single, "Old" one.

Rufus
03-16-2009, 11:49 PM
Single, "Old" one.

I agree on that too.

jacob_bald6225
03-16-2009, 11:51 PM
Single, "Old" one.

I wouldn't even care which tileset it is as long as there is just one. Weather and seasons either on or off for everyone too.

Crono
03-16-2009, 11:52 PM
Single.

Oni
03-17-2009, 12:00 AM
should be a single GOOD one.
My reason, I want to be experiencing the same thing someone else is, might sound stupid but thats why.

Unpredlctable
03-17-2009, 12:21 AM
definitely just the one. i personally am partial to the Original tileset

xnervNATx
03-17-2009, 01:06 AM
signle wtf.

Kill
03-17-2009, 02:12 AM
Voted Multiple because people shouldn't be restricted to something that they may not like.
Personally, I prefer the New tileset over the Original. That's just me.
Everyone is different and that's why I think it should be multiple.

I can understand Oni's point about everyone experiencing the same thing, but it's also nice to have control over what you want.

BlackSolider
03-17-2009, 02:55 AM
Voted multiple b/c what looks good to one person, might not look good to another.

But really it shouldn't matter how something looks, but how effective it serves its purpose.

Except women. They need to look good in addition to doing what they do.

MysticX2X
03-17-2009, 02:57 AM
I agree with having a single tileset, but I never saw it a huge problem.

Kill
03-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Voted multiple b/c what looks good to one person, might not look good to another.

But really it shouldn't matter how something looks, but how effective it serves its purpose.

Except women. They need to look good in addition to doing what they do.
I concur.

maximus_asinus
03-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Having a single tileset is easier for developers. If you don't like the one they select you can easily replace the tileset images on your end. Problem solved.

Polo
03-18-2009, 03:27 AM
I use the 'Old' tileset, which I believe best represents the Classic style. In my view, Classic should be considered as only actually having one tileset; the other two are simply skins for those with a different preference.

We shouldn't be making guarantees about whether everything will display perfectly on those tilesets, though I guess things could be improved by ensuring the tiles in each of them are at least visually equivalent (ie: a tile which is a castle corner piece in one tileset should be a castle corner piece in all 3 of them). ^^

Rufus
03-18-2009, 03:29 AM
I use the 'Old' tileset, which I believe best represents the Classic style. The way I see it, it's ridiculous to try and ensure compatability across 3 tilesets; Classic should be considered as only having one actual tileset, and the other two are simply skins for those with a different preference. We shouldn't be making guarantees about whether everything will display perfectly on those tilesets, though I guess things could be improved by ensuring the tiles in each of them are at least visually equivalent (ie: a tile which is a castle corner piece in one tileset should be a castle corner piece in all 3 of them). ^^

It's a ridiculous amount of work for something that is so unprofessional for a game to have. In real games you don't see them giving you items to change the textures or tilesets, so why does Classic? If players are really so desperate to change their tilesets then they can change them locally as it has been mentioned. We do not need 4+ tilesets for one server and yes, old tileset ftw.

Bell
03-18-2009, 03:32 AM
I vaguely remember toggled tilesets being requested by the players. Surprise, surprise that now they want it changed back.

BlackSolider
03-18-2009, 03:37 AM
People are so fickle.

Mark Sir Link
03-18-2009, 03:44 AM
I vaguely remember toggled tilesets being requested by the players. Surprise, surprise that now they want it changed back.

when was this?

weeway
03-18-2009, 09:08 PM
I think haveing more then one is ok aslong as the tiles are basicly the same like in some levels the floor tile looks off becasue the player who made the level was useing a diffrent tileset and it looks like there stupid because the floor is all screwed up.

TESTRETIS
03-19-2009, 04:54 AM
Hey guys, I like the single Tileset ^^

DarkCloud_PK
03-19-2009, 07:04 AM
i honestly dont care, i dont really mind tiling unless it looks completely hideous/awesome. i dont make a big deal over one or two tile errors.
then again i dont tile so eh.

i just use the new one or whatever the konidias one was with the leafy trees.

BlackSolider
03-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Stop judging books by their covers.

MysticX2X
03-19-2009, 09:04 PM

That is the same with Clientside HD.