PDA

View Full Version : Hiring: News admin

Admins
03-08-2009, 09:28 PM
A lot of fun stuff and updates are happening on Graal servers but not a lot of news are added to graal.net (and the serverlist news). For improving that situation it would be good to have some dedicated staff who talk to server staff to being news to graal.net. This is mainly a helper position and will eventually get global level 1 (RC) to be able to talk to staff. The person who is managing this should be someone who comes along nicely with the staff on servers.

Some questions for applicants:
1. What is your Graal account name?
2. Do you have gold?
3. What is your past experience? (Please post only relevant experience such as creation of news, and updates on graal.net)
4. What would you like to do if given the position?
5. Why should you be given the position over the other applicants?

Rufus
03-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Wow, I know the most perfect person for that position. Are you asking for applications via the forums, or would it be possible to send an e-mail?

Dan
03-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Good luck for every applicant.

Pimmeh
03-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Wow, I know the most perfect person for that position. Are you asking for applications via the forums, or would it be possible to send an e-mail?

I just posted a topic.

Crono
03-08-2009, 10:49 PM
I hope Door applies, she would be perfect.

Darlene159
03-08-2009, 10:56 PM
I hope Door applies, she would be perfect.I don't. If someone angers her, she might do what she did on the forums.

Chompy
03-08-2009, 11:06 PM
I'm quite confused here. Will there be one person to be the "News Admin", or a whole team who handle news?

Rufus
03-08-2009, 11:07 PM
I don't. If someone angers her, she might do what she did on the forums.

Do you think she'll do that to the primary school message system that she works for too, eventually? What about the college newspaper she wrote articles for? What about the Graal wiki articles she has already written? The news she often submits? Sounds like a pretty bad association to her character you've got there.

Matt
03-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Since the the title in Stefans original post is News Admin, i'd assuming only 1 admin.

pooper200000
03-08-2009, 11:08 PM
I'm quite confused here. Will there be hired one person to be the "News Admin", or will there be a team?

Most likely one person as the News Admin. It would also most likely be that News Admin choice as to if they wish to hire a team or conduct gathering news on their own.

Darlene159
03-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Do you think she'll do that to the primary school message system that she works for too, eventually? What about the college newspaper she wrote articles for? What about the Graal wiki articles she has already written? The news she often submits? Sounds like a pretty bad association to her character you've got there.The horrible things she said about unixmad on the forums is what I saw. Stefan should look into all histories of applicants, including behavior on the forums.

Rufus
03-08-2009, 11:11 PM
The horrible things she said about unixmad on the forums is what I saw. Stefan should look into all histories of applicants, including behavior on the forums.

That's a false representation of why she was banned, because I have never seen her post a single thing about unixmad. Now you're just getting desperate love.

Darlene159
03-08-2009, 11:12 PM
That's a false representation of why she was banned, because I have never seen her post a single thing about unixmad. Now you're just getting desperate love.Ok. Stefan can view the deleted posts and threads.
You are right, I was thinking of someone else.
Her threads and posts where pretty nasty none-the-less, and all because a thread of hers was deleted.
Stefan can make his own judgment on it. I'm not going to discuss it, just bringing it to his attention.

Clockwork
03-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Do we apply here ? :3

Rufus
03-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Here's a suggestion for those applying for this position. Not so long ago I was creating a personal statement for University and Master Storm introduced me to the concept of Flesch–Kincaid Readability Tests (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flesch-Kincaid_Readability_Test). The tests are there to provide a review of the readability of text as the title implies, and with Graal being a game that is provided for users of all different ages and backgrounds, the news you should be submitting should be easy to read.

I've ran a couple of the current news posts through the online readability scales (http://labs.translated.net/text-readability/ and http://www.editcentral.com/gwt/com.editcentral.EC/EC.html) and at current the news posts are being rated as average, which just isn't good enough. There are a lot of jargon terms used in the current news articles and as the news is for the players it would be in good form to reduce this and attempt to liven the articles up. I hope that whoever gets the position takes a look at other games and uses this as an opportunity to make our new articles more community based, rather than at current where it all seems a little cheesy or too technical.

Pimmeh
03-08-2009, 11:48 PM
HARD: this text contains either long sentences and/or long or uncommon words. This implies a low readability index. By modifying the selection of words and the sentence lengths the readability can be easily improved.

AVERAGE: the difficulty of the text seems to be average. The majority of well-written content falls into this category.

EASY: This text is easy to read. Easy to read, well-written documents can be easily understood by audiences with any education level.

Average equals good, Rufus. You cannot expect all Graal users to be literary genii.

Rufus
03-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Average equals good, Rufus. You cannot expect all Graal users to be literary genii.

HARD: this text contains either long sentences and/or long or uncommon words. This implies a low readability index. By modifying the selection of words and the sentence lengths the readability can be easily improved.
AVERAGE: the difficulty of the text seems to be average. The majority of well-written content falls into this category.
EASY: This text is easy to read. Easy to read, well-written documents can be easily understood by audiences with any education level.

There are a lot of different players with a lot of different education levels, so a potential News Administrator should be trying to look for a happy medium with their articles. That is why the easy ratings (and my links) are provided. You're right, you can't expect all Graal users to be "literary genii" but the players deserve one if they can have one and this has nothing to do with literature.

Clockwork
03-08-2009, 11:56 PM
This just in: Rufus and Pimmeh arguing about sentance structure and use of words.

Just as well Rufus.

"There are a lot of different players with a lot of different education levels, so a potential News Administrator should be potentially trying to look into a happy medium, which is why the easy ratings (and my links) are provided. You're right, you can't expect all Graal users to be "literary genii" but the players deserve one if they can have one and this has nothing to do with literature."

Thats 2 sentances. The first one is way to long. Just as well, though, you use words I have trouble fitting into normal conversations. Words such as medium.

kia345
03-09-2009, 12:01 AM
This just in: Rufus and Pimmeh arguing about sentance structure and use of words.

Just as well Rufus.

"There are a lot of different players with a lot of different education levels, so a potential News Administrator should be potentially trying to look into a happy medium, which is why the easy ratings (and my links) are provided. You're right, you can't expect all Graal users to be "literary genii" but the players deserve one if they can have one and this has nothing to do with literature."

Thats 2 sentances. The first one is way to long. Just as well, though, you use words I have trouble fitting into normal conversations. Words such as medium.

You said "just as well" twice you redundant prick.

Clockwork
03-09-2009, 12:01 AM
You said "just as well" twice you redundant prick.

This also in: I lol'd.

Rufus
03-09-2009, 12:06 AM

Just as well Rufus.

Well to be fair, you've made a couple of spelling and grammar errors when attempting to critique my post, but that's not what I'm trying to get across here. I'm not applying because I simply do not posses the ability to create entertaining articles that are readable for all education levels, and although I used this system when creating my University application (which was accepted by all 5 ;)) it took me a while to make. People that are applying for the position should very much take their spelling, grammar and readability of writing into consideration amongst the pleasantries.

Clockwork
03-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Well to be fair, you've made a couple of spelling and grammar errors when attempting to critique my post, but that's not what I'm trying to get across here. I'm not applying because I simply do not posses the ability to create entertaining articles that are readable for all education levels, and although I used this system when creating my University application (which was accepted by all 5 ;)) it took me a while to make. People that are applying for the position should very much take their spelling, grammar and readability of writing into consideration amongst the pleasantries.

~Sentence.

I'm sorry! :P

Bell
03-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Instead of arguing here, why not use your language talents and go apply.
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209

I swear there isn't a topic on Graal that isn't argued to death for the sake of arguing.

Rufus
03-09-2009, 12:39 AM
Instead of arguing here, why not use your language talents and go apply.
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209

I swear there isn't a topic on Graal that isn't argued to death for the sake of arguing.

I'm the only one who hasn't applied and I've already stated why :p

Admins
03-09-2009, 12:56 AM
I don't really care about language, my English is not the best either. The problem is that everyone (with Gold, that's a few thousand) can post news on graal.net and those news will be put on the serverlist to show Graal players what interesting things are happening which they otherwise would miss if they don't log into each server each day or speak to people a half hour or more. People can already add the news but probably don't feel that their updates made to the server are worthy to be put in the news or they don't see it as important. But I often see that staff on servers are accomplishing quite great tasks and add nice stuff. I only see those things when I go on servers and speak to people though, so I probably don't see half of the things and so do most Graal players. The news admin should go on servers and find out what happened and post it on the news: events, new monsters or maps, new things in the planning. He/she can hire a team or motivate the server staff to post the news themself, as long as the news are posted and not forgotten.

Rufus
03-09-2009, 01:01 AM
I don't really care about language, my English is not the best either. The problem is that everyone (with Gold, that's a few thousand) can post news on graal.net and those news will be put on the serverlist to show Graal players what interesting things are happening which they otherwise would miss if they don't log into each server each day or speak to people a half hour or more. People can already add the news but probably don't feel that their updates made to the server are worthy to be put in the news or they don't see it as important. But I often see that staff on servers are accomplishing quite great tasks and add nice stuff. I only see those things when I go on servers and speak to people though, so I probably don't see half of the things and so do most Graal players. The news admin should go on servers and find out what happened and post it on the news: events, new monsters or maps, new things in the planning. He/she can hire a team or motivate the server staff to post the news themself, as long as the news are posted and not forgotten.

The language used in a news article reflects upon the game and and its professional credibility. Aside from that, the language also reflects the amount of people who can actually read a news article and the amount of people who will read a news article. If the articles are written badly, they're not going to be read, it's as simple as that.

Bell
03-09-2009, 01:04 AM
I personally would like to see someone that can give descriptive, fun and interesting news posts than worry about whether they had missed a ( , ) or used theres instead of there's.

Some of my best lol's have been reading Stefans grammar errors. I'm sure there have been some horrified gasps at my own grammar or sentence structure.

Crono
03-09-2009, 01:09 AM
I personally would like to see someone that can give descriptive, fun and interesting news posts than worry about whether they had missed a ( , ) or used theres instead of there's.

As the News Admin i'd expect this person to be able to filter out well written news articles that are both easy and enjoyable to read as opposed to cheeky ill-structured fruitfests of "WELCUM TO UN ^________^ (^) 2DAY WE UPDATED TH EPORT but it sanked =.=".

Darlene159
03-09-2009, 01:12 AM

Some of my best lol's have been reading Stefans grammar errors. I'm sure there have been some horrified gasps at my own grammar or sentence structure.
Same here. :)

Bell
03-09-2009, 01:13 AM
As the News Admin i'd expect this person to be able to filter out well written news articles that are both easy and enjoyable to read as opposed to cheeky ill-structured fruitfests of "WELCUM TO UN ^________^ (^) 2DAY WE UPDATED TH EPORT but it sanked =.=".

Rofl, well, I wasn't saying they could be that bad. Those types of posts just burn holes in your eyes.

Rufus
03-09-2009, 01:17 AM

Same here. :)

There are very few instances where you will see a news posting on a professional game with bad grammar, because it promotes professionalism. I'm sure you would appreciate Graal having a greater professional appearance in its advertising and news postings, no?

LoneAngelIbesu
03-09-2009, 01:37 AM
The question of whether or not somebody has Gold seems to imply that Gold is required, or... ? In other words: is having a Gold subscription required?

pooper200000
03-09-2009, 01:47 AM
The question of whether or not somebody has Gold seems to imply that Gold is required, or... ? In other words: is having a Gold subscription required?

I'm not positive on this, but is the Wiki for gold members only? Perhaps that was the reasoning behind asking such a question.

LoneAngelIbesu
03-09-2009, 01:53 AM
I'm not positive on this, but is the Wiki for gold members only? Perhaps that was the reasoning behind asking such a question.

The way I think of it, asking the question might mean that they need to know if accommodations need to be made. Otherwise, Stefan should have mentioned that Gold is required in his post... anywhere.

cyan3
03-09-2009, 09:43 AM

The Wiki is restricted to gold members only.

Switch
03-10-2009, 04:46 AM

Except you can't seem to create an account anymore?

Matt
03-10-2009, 05:28 AM
Except you can't seem to create an account anymore?

You do not create a new account on the wiki, use your Graal account, as long as you have Gold, you will be able to login. If it's your first time logging in, it may tell you your account isn't created, but ignore that and try once more and it should tell you your logged in then.

Twinny
03-10-2009, 05:32 AM
Think about the newsletters that were sent out beforehand. I spent more time wondering, "what is he talking about" then looking at what was being presented >_<

on that note, i'm still waiting for the newsletter prophecy to come true :\

thesmoothcriminal
03-10-2009, 06:30 AM
Shut up with all the argueing over gramma. As long as you keep interest no one cares if you are slightly off.

Rewarding those classic subscribers who have been with the game longest i see

...everyone (with Gold, that's a few thousand)

lol really? a few thousand gold subscribers?

Mark Sir Link
03-10-2009, 07:38 AM
Shut up with all the argueing over gramma. As long as you keep interest no one cares if you are slightly off.

This is so very false...

For too many years, GraalOnline has adopted a poor attitude, deeming poor writing and lack of information acceptable when it really isn't.

Considering this is a game marketed toward children who have no means of paying to play the game themselves, Graal really does need professional looking and sounding websites and documents to lure their parents in. If I didn't know what GraalOnline was and a child of mine asked me to pay for their account, I would instantly say no after looking at the website, wiki, and forum because the writing quality is akin to the spam I get in my junkbox.

As far as the wiki administrator goes...

Ideally, there would be a team of people working on news updates rather than an individual - each could write their own articles, and pass them around for proofreading. By having one person write articles unchecked, it is likely that you'll end up with bias and poor writing. Spellcheck is fine for middle school, but this is the real world.

MiniOne
03-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Not many people even know about the wiki site. Maybe it should be on the Graalonline page, when I say this I mean make it easier to locate. As for making it detailed and of a high level of vocabulary wouldn't be the wisest move unless you planned on making two separate sections, one for which children browse and check whether they are interested in the game, mostly consisted of pictures and easy to read language and a second section for adults/parents/guardians to give them a insight on what they may be buying for their children.

As for me I just merely told my parents what the game was about and what the benefits were of upgrading my account and they agreed to pay for me :)

Switch
03-11-2009, 03:36 AM
You do not create a new account on the wiki, use your Graal account, as long as you have Gold, you will be able to login. If it's your first time logging in, it may tell you your account isn't created, but ignore that and try once more and it should tell you your logged in then.
:o
Shut up with all the argueing over gramma.
^^

Damix2
03-13-2009, 02:25 AM
This should be Googi's job.

MiniOne
03-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Lol Googi.. Did he even apply?

Elizabeth
03-13-2009, 03:28 PM
i think ziro should get it, he has grammar skillz, arguin skillz, and isn't a staff position ***** like every other applicant

I hope Door applies, she would be perfect.

awh, i almost forgot about door! i'd actually read the news if she was the news admin! she's so cheerful and friendly.

I don't. If someone angers her, she might do what she did on the forums.

we've been through this. she did it because she was sick of being 'harassed' by some of the moderation. she's already talked to you, and she was being fair and mature when she did so about her ban, you replied in an arrogant way.

Admins
03-16-2009, 12:34 AM
Sorry for the lack of updates, the new positions will be soon given out to applicants :)

Matt
03-16-2009, 12:38 AM
Good luck everyone ! ^^

Deas_Voice
03-16-2009, 09:16 PM
yeah, good luck everyone! :)

RevolutionJS
03-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Wouldn't Nataxo be perfect?

MiniOne
03-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Good Luck Everyone, a lot of skilled candidates, who will win?

kia345
03-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Good Luck Everyone, a lot of skilled candidates, who will win?

By "a lot of skilled candidates", you had better mean "there's like 2 really good choices".

Elizabeth
03-17-2009, 02:06 PM
did door apply?

Gothika
03-17-2009, 10:25 PM
By "a lot of skilled candidates", you had better mean "there's like 2 really good choices".

I hope thats what he means, In my eyes I can see 2 maybe 3 people being good enough. Although I have one clear idea of who would fit the bill the best.

Pimmeh
03-20-2009, 04:45 AM
Sorry for the lack of updates, the new positions will be soon given out to applicants :)

Yeees?

kia345
03-20-2009, 05:04 AM
did door apply?

Not exactly

Clockwork
03-20-2009, 07:02 AM
~waits....~

MiniOne
03-20-2009, 07:35 AM
I can see four, pojo, aeko, nataxo and Supernanny though that's just my opinion

Clockwork
03-20-2009, 07:42 AM

I haven't even been contacted, so I am in very much doubt about myself earning the position.

Good luck to Nataxo and Chompy <3

xXziroXx
03-20-2009, 12:38 PM
I personally hope that Chompy gets the position! :)

kia345
03-20-2009, 01:49 PM

Included two that would be horrible, and left out one of the best ones

TSAdmin
03-20-2009, 01:50 PM
If it gives you guys any bit of hope about a timely choosing, I have submitted (by request of Stefan) my personal top 3 picks [BY OPINION ONLY, THIS DOES NOT MEAN THEY WILL BE THE ONES STEFAN CONSIDERS] less than 30 hours ago. I am not the only one who has been contacted about this, though, so I can only speak for myself as to "when" my opinion was sent.