PDA

View Full Version : Sword thrower revamp

jacob_bald6225
03-07-2009, 04:38 AM
When hit with a sword throw it should do damage equal to 1/2 of your current HP (rounded up the nearest .5), and when it hits a wall (hit or miss) your sword should stick out off the wall and you are unable to swing or use other sword based npcs until you run over to the wall and retrieve it.

Same with arrows... those should stick in walls for aesthetic appeal too.

BlackSolider
03-07-2009, 04:44 AM
I like the whole 'stick in wall idea', though the 1/2 your hp seems a bit much. Plus if you can only throw it once (which is what i envision if you have to retrieve it), most people would be missing+retrieving+repeat.

But I like this thread b/c the sword thrower has been a joke since it never did damage. For a while saints could use it, but it got changed to were it would de-saint them; now you don't even see it used.

If the whole 'stick in the wall' thing won't work, at least make it do damage.

jacob_bald6225
03-07-2009, 04:46 AM
I like the whole 'stick in wall idea', though the 1/2 your hp seems a bit much. Plus if you can only throw it once (which is what i envision if you have to retrieve it), most people would be missing+retrieving+repeat.
High risk high reward.

Say you accidentally threw it down a long path and it didn't hit a wall for 3 levels, you'd be wide open for getting hit.

Maybe when you're swordless you should slow down by a nudge too, so that way you are open to more attacks as you go to retrieve it if it did go down a path.

DarkCloud_PK
03-07-2009, 05:54 AM
I will look into it, but i dont know if the gc prize rule is still in place, the main reasons sword thrower doesnt do damage is.

1. There was a rule in place that didnt allow GC prizes to do damage.
2. Would need to add a setback for using it like zip mentioned, its possible, or else it would put bow out of business.

jacob_bald6225
03-07-2009, 05:57 AM
Making the sword go through level links too would be cool.

MysticX2X
03-07-2009, 06:15 AM
1. There was a rule in place that didnt allow GC prizes to do damage.

That's why GC Items fail.

BlackSolider
03-07-2009, 06:22 AM
@ above post.

Too true.

-Ramirez-
03-07-2009, 06:25 AM
Making the sword go through level links too would be cool.
Good luck with that, but I'd hope it's been changed since I last messed with it ~2 years ago.

maximus_asinus
03-07-2009, 06:38 AM
GC prizes shouldn't do damage. It gives an unfair advantage against players who don't have the time dedicated to win X amount of tickets, aren't skilled enough to win the events, or are trial accounts/newbies out exploring the server.

MysticX2X
03-07-2009, 06:48 AM
All the more incentive to play more events, right?

Right now events are one of the only things keeping this server alive, and tickets are just about useless since all of these prizes are too.

maximus_asinus
03-07-2009, 07:18 AM
For a few people, yes, but those are the people who already spend large amounts of time online and just simply haven't got the NPC yet. You still have other groups of players to consider, like people who simply don't have the time to put into events.

Though this isn't really on topic, the whole GC ticket system was rendered useless when players inflated the 'economy' by holding onto large amounts of tickets. One ticket is no longer a worthy incentive, you have to get two or three tickets for even the most minor events. I tried hosting a unofficial trivia and couldn't get anybody to play until I offered an insane amount of tickets.

They should have been capped years ago, we'd have riots if we tried to place one now.

BlackSolider
03-07-2009, 10:10 PM
What where the players supposed to do with their tickets? Spend them on useless npcs that absolutely did nothing?

Several people claim to have all the npc prizes as well, so its not like they can do anything with their tickets.

Even if they cap, they just sit there. Doing nothing.

If npc prizes can't do damage....what CAN they do in order to be useful and thus desirable by players?

weeway
03-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Why not have like 1 ticket worth some g so the newbies can buy the GC prizes with x amount of money, yeah it would take along time but if you cant do events what else are you going to do? This way you can releave NPCs that can cause damage and newbies can get them to.

Mark Sir Link
03-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Why not have like 1 ticket worth some g so the newbies can buy the GC prizes with x amount of money, yeah it would take along time but if you cant do events what else are you going to do? This way you can releave NPCs that can cause damage and newbies can get them to.

In my opinion, GC prizes should be indicative of some sort of skill (so I guess skill at winning the games), and as such, should only have aesthetic benefits SHANNEN.

BlackSolider
03-09-2009, 06:31 PM
IMO you earn special npcs/prizes by using your skills to win events. If you can just buy tickets with gelats, you could easily spend an hour or so harvesting bushes to get these npcs. Harvesting bushes doesn't take skill. Winning events (usually) does.

MysticX2X
03-09-2009, 06:34 PM
If tickets could be worth gralats, then I can imagine how insane Ticket numbers would be considering the amount of people with 1 million gralats in their bank accounts.

@Max: So the skilled players can't earn something good at all? That isn't such a great incentive to stay there for long if your long term playing doesn't pay off with getting some stuff that might take newbies a little longer to get.

jacob_bald6225
03-10-2009, 12:25 AM
By the way if anyone is wondering, half damage doesn't mean two hits and you're dead.

Like this if you have 8 hearts:

weeway
03-10-2009, 12:27 AM
I mean for the people with trial accounts who cant get tickets, have a way for them to buy prizes,
mabye it's simple as just haveing GCs do a bunny run everyonce in awhile so trials can gain tickets and buy prizes

MysticX2X
03-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Most of GC events nowadays are team events, so more than likely you'll win a few tickets being a noob within a few good days.

maximus_asinus
03-10-2009, 02:35 AM
If tickets could be worth gralats, then I can imagine how insane Ticket numbers would be considering the amount of people with 1 million gralats in their bank accounts.

@Max: So the skilled players can't earn something good at all? That isn't such a great incentive to stay there for long if your long term playing doesn't pay off with getting some stuff that might take newbies a little longer to get.So now we're in the business of bribing people to continue playing? It is a terrible idea, I've made my point. If you want to let the elitists of Classic gain more power, all the power to you, but it won't get my approval (not that it matters). A newbie's chance of winning an event are slim because they are not among the server's elite group. They'll be picked last for CTF, voted out first in Sumo, etc. I assure you, this is a TERRIBLE idea.

Kill
03-11-2009, 10:25 PM
I completely agree with the opening post of this thread.

jacob_bald6225
03-11-2009, 10:55 PM
So now we're in the business of bribing people to continue playing? It is a terrible idea, I've made my point. If you want to let the elitists of Classic gain more power, all the power to you, but it won't get my approval (not that it matters). A newbie's chance of winning an event are slim because they are not among the server's elite group. They'll be picked last for CTF, voted out first in Sumo, etc. I assure you, this is a TERRIBLE idea.

;( I have 0 tickets.