PDA

View Full Version : Lag is getting obnoxiously bad

EclipsedAngel
11-06-2008, 03:40 AM
This deals with Classic. I'm getting really really really really sick and tired of lagging.

Classic is now a European server, but I used to get a ping of 200ms.

Now it's 500ms at random times. That's half a second. I can't hit anyone anymore because 1/2 a second is too long to send to the server.

I would like to play events and all but how can I with such unfathomably horrid lag?

Here's something though. WHY<-- AM I LAGGING?
I have RoadRunner cable and before I wasn't lagging. I ping sites and they say I don't lag. Someone has HAD to mess with something on the server that it pulls this on me.

I'd like some answers, I'm sure one of you have it, because one of you have to be the cause of it. I reset my modem it still lags, I do anything it still lags. I redownload Graal, it still lags.

Someone please help

Sigla
11-06-2008, 06:09 AM
i should think a support ticket would be the way to go, actually.

DustyPorViva
11-06-2008, 06:10 AM
Classic is a mess. When I was playing a bit recently I noticed many times, I'd randomly get stuck in 500ms ping 'holes', where it'd be stuck like that for sometimes 10 minutes to even an hour. Not on my side.

With a server that is all serverside... well that just sucks :P

Soala
11-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Don't be mad, most of servers were actually European and now they moved, so I'm actually lagging most of time, for exemple on large maps or when there is alot of players.

And it's quite because of lag that I stay on simple servers like N-Pulse, etc...

Dan
11-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Well they should just make a clientside-PK system so atleast PKing is fine :) That's what Classic is about right?

Felix_Xenophobe
11-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Well they should just make a clientside-PK system so atleast PKing is fine :) That's what Classic is about right?

more like idling and chatting, amirite?

Crimson2005
11-06-2008, 06:20 PM
more like idling and chatting, amirite?

and CTF

Rufus
11-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Don't be mad, most of servers were actually European and now they moved, so I'm actually lagging most of time, for exemple on large maps or when there is alot of players.

And it's quite because of lag that I stay on simple servers like N-Pulse, etc...

I don't think this has anything to do with the European server as Classic has had one for a while now, and Shimmy (EclipsedAngel) was fine then from what I remember. It's just since he came back recently that he has started lagging, and he's not the only one so it is more than likely a problem with Classic or its systems.

*Should just use the default system.

Scripting a PK system in clientside is never going to be the same as the one that is hard coded, I realize this now. The thing is, you should not need a gamer PC to play on a game like Graal. I've tested ours and theirs on various PC's and the CPU usage shoots up, that's not right, and it never does that with the default.

xXziroXx
11-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Scripting a PK system in clientside is never going to be the same as the one that is hard coded, I realize this now. The thing is, you should not need a gamer PC to play on a game like Graal. I've tested ours and theirs on various PC's and the CPU usage shoots up, that's not right, and it never does that with the default.

It's very much possible to replicate the default system with a script without increasing it's CPU usage. It shouldn't even be too hard to make a serversided hit detection system, it's all about proper synchronization between client and server.

Rufus
11-06-2008, 06:28 PM
It's very much possible to replicate the default system with a script without increasing it's CPU usage. It shouldn't even be too hard to make a serversided hit detection system, it's all about proper synchronization between client and server.

Please do it then, I'll give you the values on AIM because I have seen various attempts and they all suck up CPU horribly. The current hit detection on Classic (and has been for a long long time now) is serverside, and that doesn't have a massive memory usage whenever there's some action going on. In any case, Classic doesn't need a custom hit detection as it's not like they're using anything out of the ordinary, or providing anything that is not available on servers with the default hit detection.

DustyPorViva
11-06-2008, 07:20 PM
alot of players.
That's not lag, that's high CPU usage. The movement system(along with ALL the other custom systems they use like names and such) Classic uses exponentially increases CPU usage with each player in the level. So the move players, the more CPU it takes, the more sluggish it gets... and it doesn't even take that many. About 8 players in the level will make me slow down.

Soala
11-06-2008, 07:21 PM
ffs I'm out, people can't understand what I'm saying.

Oh well let's give it a try.

NOT ALL SERVERS ARE EUROPEAN NOW AND MOST OF THEM MOVED FROM EUROPE BUT EUROPEANS NEVER COMPLAIN ABOUT IT SO DONT COMPLAIN BECAUSE THE CLASSIC SERVER IS IN EUROPE OR ILL START COMPLAINING ABOUT GK/ZONE/UN/NP AND MANY OTHERS THANKS.
^ this was for people that want to complain about servers location.

And now
That's high CPU Usage

If it's about his CPU then dont start talking about servers location.

DustyPorViva
11-06-2008, 07:32 PM
ffs I'm out, people can't understand what I'm saying.

Oh well let's give it a try.

NOT ALL SERVERS ARE EUROPEAN NOW AND MOST OF THEM MOVED FROM EUROPE BUT EUROPEANS NEVER COMPLAIN ABOUT IT SO DONT COMPLAIN BECAUSE THE CLASSIC SERVER IS IN EUROPE OR ILL START COMPLAINING ABOUT GK/ZONE/UN/NP AND MANY OTHERS THANKS.
^ this was for people that want to complain about servers location.

And now

If it's about his CPU then dont start talking about servers location.
BECAUSE TALKING IN CAPS WILL MAKE US LISTEN TO YOU.

There are two factors involved here -- CPU and latency. Increase players in the level does not increase lag(at least not on Classic, since there are never enough players to have that effect), but taxes the hell out of the custom systems Classic uses. Go into a level by yourself and do 'showscriptstats' in your chatbar(without the quotes). Press F2 and go to the script tab, it'll list the highest CPU using scripts.
1. 7.050485466 [percent] Weapon -system_moving
2. 4.962854217 [percent] Weapon -system_gui_state
3. 2.163177163 [percent] Weapon -system_bypass
4. 1.352071282 [percent] Weapon -system
5. 0.987321014 [percent] Weapon -Serverlist
6. 0.946989072 [percent] Gani Player DustyPorViva
7. 0.452529581 [percent] Weapon -IRC_Installer
8. 0.422221259 [percent] Weapon -system_drowning
9. 0.395298843 [percent] Weapon -F2LogWindow
10. 0.363227728 [percent] Weapon -dropitems
11. 0.288575782 [percent] Weapon -system_action
12. 0.272657558 [percent] Weapon -system_damage
13. 0.249682571 [percent] Gani Player ffcmike
14. 0.216745424 [percent] Weapon -system_keys
15. 0.187230499 [percent] Weapon -Serverlist_Observer
16. 0.1517204 [percent] Weapon *Lantern
17. 0.107474553 [percent] Weapon -system_gani
18. 0.075917469 [percent] Weapon -Playerlist
19. 0.01151543 [percent] Weapon -system_vulgar
20. 0.005821968 [percent] Weapon -Serverlist_Chat
Enter a level with a lot of players and the CPU usage on -system_moving will increase. This makes the game seem more sluggish. It's just the way the script works, apparently. You'll notice if you enter level14 with no players, it's quite easy to walk through. Go through it with a lot of players and it slows down. That's not lag, that's CPU.

Now lag is the time between server and client communication. 500ms = bad ping = bad lag.

If it's about his CPU then dont start talking about servers location.Tell me, when did I ever mention the server location? I'm just trying to help you understand the difference between what is CPU usage and latency.

Soala
11-06-2008, 07:40 PM
BECAUSE TALKING IN CAPS WILL MAKE US LISTEN TO YOU

Erm sorry.

Classic is now a European server

Oh well...

I should agree that Classic hasn't got that much players, so that's just it.

DustyPorViva
11-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Oh well...
Ya, he mentioned server location, not me. You then mentioned lagging when there are a lot of players, or on the gmap, which isn't lag but CPU usage.

His point on lag is fine. I get it too, Classic does lag, but it has nothing to do with gmaps or playercount or anything. It probably does have something to do with server location, but I'd bet more on it being server back-ups or something, because it seems periodic.

Bell
11-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Lets just blame Zodiac and call it a day. Everyone knows that pking and sparring on Classic is nothing at all like any other server and have complained about it since we got the first npc server.

Dan
11-06-2008, 07:59 PM
The fact the movement system lags there is basically because they draw the custom nicknames in there (or atleast call a function that does it) - I'm not sure if it's still done from there though. Also that's clientside lag, which has nothing to do with your client-to-server or server-to-client connection.

Soala
11-06-2008, 08:39 PM
I'd bet more on it being server back-ups or something, because it seems periodic.

Yeah I'd bet too o_o servers backup happens often, but I don't play Classic that much to tell :p

xXziroXx
11-06-2008, 10:49 PM
1. 7.050485466 [percent] Weapon -system_moving
2. 4.962854217 [percent] Weapon -system_gui_state
3. 2.163177163 [percent] Weapon -system_bypass

Holy **** that's horrible! :megaeek: