PDA

View Full Version : How dare you ask me to follow a player!


kyle0654
07-27-2001, 10:09 AM
You would actually ask an NPC to follow a measly little player? How dare you try and ask an NPC to do something like [email protected]!

Oh well, for those of you who are desperate, I've made an example of the three followplayer types I listed in my other post on that followplayer thread. You can change the type of followplayer by changing this.mode in the only script in the level. It should be pretty easy to set up other than that...I've added notes wherever you might want to change something.

One last note: no, this will not work for a server npc. If you want an npc on the server to follow a player, you're going to need to figure out how to fix the script to do it. I didn't because:
A) I don't want to script server-side tonight
B) Most of you wouldn't be able to use it anyway
C) Following a specific player is a whole different deal on the server

Finally, be sure to read the comments. You aren't allowed to use this script unless you have my permission. And since you'd have to do SOME begging to get that, you might as well just use this script to learn from. You don't need to give credit as long as what you're using it for isn't horribly horrid. (I'm talking big picture, if it's for a critter on a server, you can't use it unless your server is the most awesome thing I've ever seen)

Here's the script, have fun!

LiquidIce00
07-27-2001, 11:10 AM
=)
Array is the best but it doesn't look realistic. but with array you dont need to worry as much about onwall in my opinion.

ownerofbabylon
07-27-2001, 12:05 PM
Thats really good except

distance gets larger and larger between player and NPC and the NPC doesnt stop when the player does =\

T-Squad
07-27-2001, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by kyle0654
You would actually ask an NPC to follow a measly little player? How dare you try and ask an NPC to do something like [email protected]!

Oh well, for those of you who are desperate, I've made an example of the three followplayer types I listed in my other post on that followplayer thread. You can change the type of followplayer by changing this.mode in the only script in the level. It should be pretty easy to set up other than that...I've added notes wherever you might want to change something.

One last note: no, this will not work for a server npc. If you want an npc on the server to follow a player, you're going to need to figure out how to fix the script to do it. I didn't because:
A) I don't want to script server-side tonight
B) Most of you wouldn't be able to use it anyway
C) Following a specific player is a whole different deal on the server

Finally, be sure to read the comments. You aren't allowed to use this script unless you have my permission. And since you'd have to do SOME begging to get that, you might as well just use this script to learn from. You don't need to give credit as long as what you're using it for isn't horribly horrid. (I'm talking big picture, if it's for a critter on a server, you can't use it unless your server is the most awesome thing I've ever seen)

Here's the script, have fun!

Gah kyle! If they to lazy to make it themselves, why would you make it for them? :mad:

Originally posted by kyle0654

Thats really good except

distance gets larger and larger between player and NPC and the NPC doesnt stop when the player does =\

thats really good? I havent downloaded it...but basicly Kyles script im sure ownages you. :(

LiquidIce00
07-27-2001, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by T-Squad


Gah kyle! If they to lazy to make it themselves, why would you make it for them? :mad:



thats really good? I havent downloaded it...but basicly Kyles script im sure ownages you. :(

Yes it does =)
He even put this.mode changable to change between different follow types.
You should check it out.

kyle0654
07-27-2001, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by T-Squad


Gah kyle! If they to lazy to make it themselves, why would you make it for them? :mad:

cuz all everone's been talking about lately is followplayer, and I had a free 15 minutes. It won't work online, and it'd look horrible if you used it clientside online, so don't worry.

Brady2
07-27-2001, 11:51 PM
Jadis:

Good job Kyle! I applaud thine efforts!

I don't know if that sounded like I could do this or not but I can't so I won't.