PDA

View Full Version : Hiragana fonts?

Knightess
10-05-2008, 04:24 PM
I've been wondering for a while now why there are no Japanese
Hiragana/Katakana/Kanji fonts.

I was just wondering if we could get them put into graal. It would be cool because other languages have their characters,
So why not Japanese? :)

xXziroXx
10-05-2008, 04:39 PM
I support this suggestion! :)

Crono
10-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Can we have Persian alphabets too?

I was just wondering if we could get them put into graal. It would be cool because other languages have their characters,
So why not Persian? :)

Knightess
10-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Can we have Persian alphabets too?

So why not Persian? :)

I see what you did there :p

Draenin
10-05-2008, 08:45 PM
For Windows users, you need the language pack to even display those characters and write with them to begin with. I don't see this happening. I've done transcription before, and it would take a lot for Graal to properly use non-roman characters.

knightfire35
10-05-2008, 11:30 PM
I see what you did there :p

Wow, we have a genius here.

Clockwork
10-06-2008, 03:31 AM
For Windows users, you need the language pack to even display those characters and write with them to begin with. I don't see this happening. I've done transcription before, and it would take a lot for Graal to properly use non-roman characters.

I doubt many players would use it, though it would be an interesting feature to simply have the fonts. Typing with it would still have nothing to do with graal, that would be dependent on the IME the user has.

It's not just fonts, as in you can't press "a" and expect it to come out as "あ"

So you only need the fonts really I believe.

Googi
10-06-2008, 06:12 AM
I've been wondering for a while now why there are no Japanese
Hiragana/Katakana/Kanji fonts.

Because only the probably <10% of users with the East Asian Language Pack installed would be able to see them.

Clockwork
10-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Because only the probably <10 of users with the East Asian Language Pack installed would be able to see them.

But if it was included with graal, it would be installed alongside of it :P

Draenin
10-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Just install a font for that on your own system and use it. It's not necessary to include fonts for kana when you're not even going to be able to use them properly to begin with.

Clockwork
10-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Just install a font for that on your own system and use it. It's not necessary to include fonts for kana when you're not even going to be able to use them properly to begin with.

You need the fonts to see them... -.-;
And you can't just use it, thus the reason for the feature request.

Googi
10-06-2008, 11:18 PM
But if it was included with graal, it would be installed alongside of it :P

And bloat Graal's size for something hardly anybody is going to use.

Clockwork
10-07-2008, 12:27 AM
And bloat Graal's size for something hardly anybody is going to use.

I don't think it would be that big :( only a couple MB ? おにがいGoogiちゃん?

knightfire35
10-07-2008, 02:45 AM
I don't think it would be that big :( only a couple MB ? おにがいGoogiちゃん?

I don't think that's the point. Not many people would use it, thus making it not needed. If every request is just a couple MB, those MB's add up.
Save it for a feature everyone can use.

Clockwork
10-07-2008, 03:36 AM
I don't think that's the point. Not many people would use it, thus making it not needed. If every request is just a couple MB, those MB's add up.
Save it for a feature everyone can use.

Mb's don't really add up when you get ~1 update a year.