PDA

View Full Version : notification..? please ?

Elizabeth
09-15-2008, 09:42 PM
it would be REALLY nice if there was a notification for when you had a new rep or visitor message..

see at the "user panel" button i put a (1) example, except the font would be normal.

please?

Darlene159
09-15-2008, 10:00 PM
It's like one click to see your rep.

Elizabeth
09-15-2008, 10:07 PM
and it could be zero clicks.

one click to see that you have NO new anything?

thats like not having the notifications for inbox messages.
"it's like one click to see if you have any new inbox messages"

and inbox messages are probably used less than reps & wall messages.

Darlene159
09-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Well, I believe you have to go into the CP to do all kinds of other stuff. I believe that is where the notifications for friend requests are.
You have to go into the CP to go to the Social Groups, and see profile messages, and to make any changes for the forums.
I dont see the point

Elizabeth
09-15-2008, 10:59 PM
you ALSO have to go into the inbox to make a new message, read messages, or read sent messages.

why would they put notfications for something that has much less things to do than usercp?

you'd think that they'd put notifications for something that you can do much more in, so that you wouldn't have to go through everything to see if something is new.

also, to view your social group you have to go into the user cp. what if someone replies to your post and you don't find out till weeks later, because no one took the time to notify you?

Darlene159
09-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Wouldnt kill you to click on the user cp once when you are on to see messages, really.

Crono1508
09-15-2008, 11:30 PM
Not necessary, as stated above, its one click away... "Oh my god! "

DarkReaper0
09-16-2008, 01:52 AM
No, but it certainly wouldn't kill anyone to add a (1) to User CP.

"Oh My God it's so much work!"

LoneAngelIbesu
09-16-2008, 02:10 AM

"Oh My God it's so much work!"
It's not exactly easy to modify vBulletin. It's an extremely complex PHP/MySQL script. True, you could probably isolate where PM notification is scripted (assuming it's in one place), then figure out how reputation and visitor messages work, and then find a way to implement PM notification for reputation and visitor messages. But, that's also assuming that reputation and visitor messages are written in a way where notifications are easily possible. You guys have to remember that GraalOnline didn't script this forum, the reputations, visitor messages, blogs, etc. They were all scripted by people, who are intimately knowledgeable of vBulletin's cores, that spent days upon days (sometimes weeks, depending on the objective) working things in to a vBulletin.

Long story short: something that is trivial -- like adding a number next to "User CP" -- isn't always easy.

Skyld
09-16-2008, 02:36 AM
and it could be zero clicks.

one click to see that you have NO new anything?

thats like not having the notifications for inbox messages.
"it's like one click to see if you have any new inbox messages"

and inbox messages are probably used less than reps & wall messages.
Tell your suggestions to the vBulletin developer team. The moderators or admins here cannot edit the vBulletin code that much since it is quite strictly licensed and possibly even encoded by Zend Optimiser, so there's nothing that anyone here can do to bring your suggestions to light, so please stop posting these threads.

Tigairius
09-16-2008, 02:38 AM
Tell your suggestions to the vBulletin developer team. The moderators or admins here cannot edit the vBulletin code that much since it is quite strictly licensed and possibly even encoded by Zend Optimiser, so there's nothing that anyone here can do to bring your suggestions to light, so please stop posting these threads.

Thought about posting this, but he beat me to it :cool:

Darlene159
09-16-2008, 02:53 AM

"Oh My God it's so much work!"It's a lot easier for members to click the user cp, then it is to edit code to put that one there, if it can even be done

Nataxo
09-16-2008, 05:08 PM
I agree with lizzy.

Nataxo
09-16-2008, 05:09 PM
if it can even be done

Stefan knws magic tricks to make this happen in less than 30 seconds,rlly.

DarkRenji
09-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Ok so its a little work for one person to make the (1) to see new rep and such

or thats all the members having to click to check...

Skyld
09-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Ok so its a little work for one person to make the (1) to see new rep and such

or thats all the members having to click to check...
Learn to read:

Rufus
09-16-2008, 06:37 PM

Thought about posting this, but he beat me to it :cool:

You should both be well aware that there is a mass amount of addons, plugins and modifications for vBulletin (including what Elizabeth is asking for) without having to "edit the code" and the request she made is basically just a header template modification and a plugin upload probably. Don't act as though it'd take some strenuous hard editing of the software, because it really would not.

Elizabeth
09-16-2008, 09:25 PM
It's like one click to see your rep.

seriously though, is it THAT much trouble for stefan to take 30seconds away from his work to add a user cp notification? he could even get someone else to do it if he couldnt do it!

Darlene159
09-16-2008, 10:25 PM
seriously though, is it THAT much trouble for stefan to take 30seconds away from his work to add a user cp notification? he could even get someone else to do it if he couldnt do it!I wouldnt know how hard it is. I cant access that part. I do know it isnt hard to click on one link though.

Elizabeth
09-16-2008, 10:50 PM
I wouldnt know how hard it is. I cant access that part. I do know it isnt hard to click on one link though.

i wasn't referring to you.
it would be even easier to just put the notification there

Darlene159
09-16-2008, 11:04 PM
i wasn't referring to you.
it would be even easier to just put the notification thereOh, I am assuming that you are familiar with the coding of vbulletin then?

Elizabeth
09-16-2008, 11:11 PM
i never referred to myself, either?

stefan would OBVIOUSLY pick someone who was familiar with it... ?

CharlieM
09-16-2008, 11:32 PM
just look up add-ons for vbulletin I can almost guarantee that there is an add-on that does that and would cause them no more trouble then a few moments time

Darlene159
09-17-2008, 12:59 AM
i never referred to myself, either?

stefan would OBVIOUSLY pick someone who was familiar with it... ?You said it was easy. I was asking how you would know

Elizabeth
09-17-2008, 01:11 AM
well im pretty sure its not rocket science to add a (1) to the user cp.. and if other people are saying it'd be easy and they know more than me, then i guess it must be easy.

Elizabeth
09-21-2008, 12:00 AM
bump.
i'm not letting go of this thread.
i WANT notifications.

im sick of checking every two seconds to see if someone has replied, when they haven't

LoneAngelIbesu
09-21-2008, 12:32 AM
bump.
i WANT notifications.

Then go ask somebody in the vB modding community to make a mod for it. :)

Nataxo
09-21-2008, 12:49 AM
bump.
i WANT notifications.

im sick of checking every two seconds to see if someone has replied, when they haven't

I support!

Notifications pleaseee:)

DarkReaper0
09-22-2008, 01:52 AM
I wouldnt know how hard it is. I cant access that part. I do know it isnt hard to click on one link though.

You should both be well aware that there is a mass amount of addons, plugins and modifications for vBulletin (including what Elizabeth is asking for) without having to "edit the code" and the request she made is basically just a header template modification and a plugin upload probably. Don't act as though it'd take some strenuous hard editing of the software, because it really would not.

Rufus answered your question before you even asked it, right?

Darlene159
09-22-2008, 02:43 AM
bump.
i WANT notifications.

im sick of checking every two seconds to see if someone has replied, when they haven'tThen dont check every two seconds. >_<

Nataxo
09-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Darlene, at the end of this discussion to you agree/disagree?

Darlene159
09-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Darlene, at the end of this discussion to you agree/disagree?Disagree. Personally I dont see what the big deal is on having to click one extra click. My opinion.

Nataxo
09-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Disagree. Personally I dont see what the big deal is on having to click one extra click. My opinion.

I see your point, but it can be handy... maybe its not a very urgent matter to add this but it could be very nice, and to listen to Customers requests :)

Darlene159
09-23-2008, 12:02 AM
I see your point, but it can be handy... maybe its not a very urgent matter to add this but it could be very nice, and to listen to Customers requests :)Sure, but it isnt up to me anyway. I cant make those kinds of changes.

DarkReaper0
09-23-2008, 02:37 AM
Sure, but it isnt up to me anyway. I cant make those kinds of changes.

The rank of "Forums Admin" seems to contradict that statement O.o

Just thought it was kinda weird.

Darlene159
09-23-2008, 02:41 AM
The rank of "Forums Admin" seems to contradict that statement O.o

Just thought it was kinda weird.I am an admin, but I do not have the rights to make changes to vBulletin. I don't have rights that I don't need to moderate the forums, and moderators.

DarkReaper0
09-23-2008, 02:43 AM
I am an admin, but I do not have the rights to make changes to vBulletin. I don't have rights that I don't need to moderate the forums, and moderators.

Then pass it up the chain of command or kindly don't respond if you can't change it/make decisions about it.

LoneAngelIbesu
09-23-2008, 02:51 AM
Then pass it up the chain of command or kindly don't respond if you can't change it/make decisions about it.That's rather mean to say. You can't make any changes or decisions, either. All forum users are entitled to their opinions, not just non-admins. Who's to say that Stefan, or Unixmad (if he knows anything about PHP), can change it? Skyld has already pointed out that vBulletin is most likely encoded, which means that you can't make direct changes to the codes.

DarkReaper0
09-23-2008, 02:53 AM
That's rather mean to say.

-shrug- My signature was earned.

Darlene159
09-23-2008, 04:30 AM
Then pass it up the chain of command or kindly don't respond if you can't change it/make decisions about it.So, you are saying that those who cannot add this should have no opinion?

If I thought it was some awesome idea, I would bother unixmad with it.

kia345
09-23-2008, 04:51 AM
Disagree. Personally I dont see what the big deal is on having to click one extra click. My opinion.

Good idea! Let's remove the "New posts" option too! One click isn't a big deal!

Darlene159
09-23-2008, 05:05 AM
Good idea! Let's remove the "New posts" option too! One click isn't a big deal!Kinda different, since if we didn't have the "new posts" link, we would have to click on each individual forum in order to see new posts, as apposed to one simple click to go into our User CP.

Nataxo
09-23-2008, 06:49 AM
Sure, but it isnt up to me anyway. I cant make those kinds of changes.

So, you are saying that those who cannot add this should have no opinion?

If I thought it was some awesome idea, I would bother unixmad with it.

I know this isnt the best of the ideas ever, but since you know as well as all us users do, Unixmad barely reads the forums, so since you Administrate them and you can have a good contact with him you can at least tell him about this... siriously if we want this to happen we need YOU to help us :).

please?

kia345
09-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Kinda different, since if we didn't have the "new posts" link, we would have to click on each individual forum in order to see new posts, as apposed to one simple click to go into our User CP.

Loading a single page like the User CP could take more time on some people's computers than the time it takes to implement the notification.

Why don't we get rid of the "Private Messages:" and Infraction notification too?

LoneAngelIbesu
09-24-2008, 02:02 AM
Loading a single page like the User CP could take more time on some people's computers than the time it takes to implement the notification.

Why don't we get rid of the "Private Messages:" and Infraction notification too?Jesus. Stop, already. You've gotten your answer ten times. If you want something like this made, go get a vB modder to make it. x_x All you're doing is arguing for the sake of feeling like you didn't lose, even though there was nothing to lose in the first place.

Nataxo
09-24-2008, 02:15 AM
i dont think vB modder will make this unless Darlene agrees with it, Unixmad will probably will, and if Unixmad agrees the vB will make it?

LoneAngelIbesu
09-24-2008, 02:19 AM
i dont think vB modder will make this unless Darlene agrees with it, Unixmad will probably will, and if Unixmad agrees the vB will make it?Darlene and Unixmad do not have any control, whatsoever, in what vB modders do or do not do. Anybody can ask a vB modder to make it. Whether or not they say yes is a different story. ^^

kia345
09-24-2008, 02:20 AM
Jesus. Stop, already. You've gotten your answer ten times. If you want something like this made, go get a vB modder to make it. x_x All you're doing is arguing for the sake of feeling like you didn't lose, even though there was nothing to lose in the first place.

Not arguing, Darlene is just being difficult. I don't even really want this modification, it's the fact that Darlene is talking to Elizabeth like she's being retarded. It's a good request that would be helpful to all users, and Darlene is just being a wall for the sake of telling Elizabeth off.

LoneAngelIbesu
09-24-2008, 02:26 AM
Not arguing, Darlene is just being difficult. I don't even really want this modification, it's the fact that Darlene is talking to Elizabeth like she's being retarded. It's a good request that would be helpful to all users, and Darlene is just being a wall for the sake of telling Elizabeth off.Darlene offered her opinion. Elizabeth, as usual, went off on tangent and started a circular argument with somebody that didn't agree with her. Darlene's just an administrator. If a mod like this was available, and somebody approach Unixmad with it, then it's not like he'd go to Darlene and get her permission. The problem is that it isn't a mod that's available, since reputations themselves are a mod; you'd be modding a mod, which usually doesn't happen.

My advice to those that want this: figure out who made the current reputation mod (I'll give you a hint: it's probably Paul M), and ask them if something like this could be added.

kia345
09-24-2008, 02:31 AM
Elizabeth, as usual, went off on tangent and started a circular argument with somebody that didn't agree with her.

Elizabeth is a young child. The kind who Graal is geared to. Her behavior is to be expected.

Nataxo
09-24-2008, 03:55 AM
Darlene and Unixmad do not have any control, whatsoever, in what vB modders do or do not do. Anybody can ask a vB modder to make it. Whether or not they say yes is a different story. ^^

Explain?x_x

Explain the part of vB modders too if you dont mind:)thanks

LoneAngelIbesu
09-24-2008, 04:36 AM
Explain?x_x

Explain the part of vB modders too if you dont mind:)thanks
People that mod (add things to) vBulletin don't work for GraalOnline. They do it as a hobby. They are independent people, with minds of their own, granted political freedom and natural, inalienable rights by their nation's corresponding documents. I don't know how more clear I can get. :cool:

DarkReaper0
09-24-2008, 04:53 AM
People that mod (add things to) vBulletin don't work for GraalOnline. They do it as a hobby. They are independent people, with minds of their own, granted political freedom and natural, inalienable rights by their nation's corresponding documents. I don't know how more clear I can get. :cool:

Clearer: Opposite of Graalonline Forum Rights.

And hey, it might be out there.

cbk1994
09-24-2008, 04:58 AM
The problem is that it isn't a mod that's available, since reputations themselves are a mod; you'd be modding a mod, which usually doesn't happen.

My advice to those that want this: figure out who made the current reputation mod (I'll give you a hint: it's probably Paul M), and ask them if something like this could be added.

Reputation is not a mod anymore, it comes working on vB boards.

Nataxo
09-24-2008, 11:13 PM

so ur saying that the graal forums totally belong to vB and if someday they just feel like throwing everything to the trash Unixmad cant do anything about it?

Darlene159
09-24-2008, 11:33 PM
so ur saying that the graal forums totally belong to vB and if someday they just feel like throwing everything to the trash Unixmad cant do anything about it?Unixmad doesn't make mods for vBulletin, he can only add on what is made.

Rufus
09-24-2008, 11:42 PM
And hey, it might be out there.

It is.

I don't know why you're all getting into a huge technical debate over something that is so trivial. I don't support the idea, it's just laziness and if you need a purpose for using User CP, subscribe to threads without e-mail notification in your options. I often check mine for that reason, and reputations are not important to check just for that purpose. There are tons of other useful mods that could be added to the Graal forums without them cluttering the place up (like they do on some forums) but it's such a pain to actually try to get Stefan / Unixmad to do it, so please don't waste your time trying to get something added so much that, at the end of the day, isn't really going to do much at all.

Nataxo
09-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Unixmad doesn't make mods for vBulletin, he can only add on what is made.

so hes the owner? like hes paying vB for this forum?

Shadow5596321
09-25-2008, 01:50 AM
so hes the owner? like hes paying vB for this forum?It's not that hard. He didn't make vB. He pays for it. He can only add what is made. He's the owner of THIS forum, he cannot boss around the modders/staff team of vB to make it. He can ask nicely and it MIGHT be done. Comprendo?

Nataxo
09-25-2008, 02:05 AM
It's not that hard. He didn't make vB. He pays for it. He can only add what is made. He's the owner of THIS forum, he cannot boss around the modders/staff team of vB to make it. He can ask nicely and it MIGHT be done. Comprendo?

thanks 4 making it clear...:)

Darlene159
09-25-2008, 02:44 AM
thanks 4 making it clear...:)lol, sorry...I tried

Nataxo
09-25-2008, 03:03 AM
lol, sorry...I tried

:)

LoneAngelIbesu
09-25-2008, 03:24 AM
Reputation is not a mod anymore, it comes working on vB boards.

Paul M is knowledgeable in reputations. Since what they are asking for is a mod, about reputations, he's your guy.

Nataxo
09-25-2008, 03:31 AM
Paul M is knowledgeable in reputations. Since what they are asking for is a mod, about reputations, he's your guy.

hmmm... how r we supposed to contact this "Paul M" idk why but i think i saw his name on Runescape forums...

LoneAngelIbesu
09-25-2008, 03:53 AM
hmmm... how r we supposed to contact this "Paul M" idk why but i think i saw his name on Runescape forums...
Google "Paul M vBulletin". ;)

Nataxo
09-25-2008, 04:08 AM
Google "Paul M vBulletin". ;)

i just stalked him and it seems like the only way to contact him is by posting on vBulletin forums or making a thread there, he makes it very clear he wont answer any questiosn related to vBulletin via email or PM.

besides we cant just ask him to do that we need Darlene's and Unixmad's approval.

Darlene159
09-25-2008, 04:15 AM
i just stalked him and it seems like the only way to contact him is by posting on vBulletin forums or making a thread there, he makes it very clear he wont answer any questiosn related to vBulletin via email or PM.

besides we cant just ask him to do that we need Darlene's and Unixmad's approval.unixmad would have to do it, since it is his license.

Nataxo
09-25-2008, 04:20 AM
unixmad would have to do it, since it is his license.

i think Unixmad will ask you for your opinion for this to be added...

and it would be ALOT easier if you helped us by contacting him, since i highly doubt he'll listen to his customers:/

Darlene159
09-25-2008, 04:22 AM
i think Unixmad will ask you for your opinion for this to be added...

and it would be ALOT easier if you helped us by contacting him, since i highly doubt he'll listen to his customers:/I was told by Stefan that he and unixmad are very busy right now doing Graal stuff, so I'm not going to bother him with anything minor

Nataxo
09-25-2008, 04:29 AM
I was told by Stefan that he and unixmad are very busy right now doing Graal stuff, so I'm not going to bother him with anything minor

Okay.

Shadow5596321
09-25-2008, 10:36 PM
I was told by Stefan that he and unixmad are very busy right now doing Graal stuff, so I'm not going to bother him with anything minorI can understand that Stefan is busy, But Unixmad? That's the first i've heard of that.

Darlene159
09-26-2008, 12:09 AM
I can understand that Stefan is busy, But Unixmad? That's the first i've heard of that.Both are very much involved with Graal.

kia345
09-26-2008, 12:33 AM
Both are very much involved with Graal.

This is made apparent by the biannual updates, right?

LoneAngelIbesu
09-26-2008, 01:33 AM
This is made apparent by the biannual updates, right?Don't even go there. :rolleyes:

Darlene159
09-26-2008, 02:31 AM
This is made apparent by the biannual updates, right?You're still here, aren't you?

DarkReaper0
09-26-2008, 04:03 AM
You're still here, aren't you?
And where are the other 200 or so people that used to play Darlene?

I applaud that statement xD

Nataxo
10-09-2008, 06:39 AM
I was told by Stefan that he and unixmad are very busy right now doing Graal stuff, so I'm not going to bother him with anything minor

well its been a while now....and the new planet @ zone is released so...

are Unixmad and Stefan a bit less busy now??

Darlene159
10-09-2008, 07:02 AM
are Unixmad and Stefan a bit less busy now??No

Skyld
10-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Your ignorance is quite upsetting. There are actually several servers on Graal that normal players cannot see, that Stefan and unixmad are often working on to test new things. Not only that, but the Graal client is having fixes added into the code pretty much all the time (despite the fact that you don't see the updates that often), and it is possible to work on significant portions of Graal without actually updating the client. There are not many days that go by where I do not see Stefan or unixmad around doing something.

Nataxo
10-09-2008, 10:56 PM
No

>_<

ok I'll wait more...

Nataxo
10-24-2008, 06:05 AM
No

Now?????^^

Darlene159
10-24-2008, 06:17 AM
Now?????^^If they see this, and want to implement it, they will

kia345
10-24-2008, 02:45 PM
You're still here, aren't you?

I'm not here because I enjoy the two or three major updates made in my time of playing, I'm here because I enjoy the playermade content.

Elizabeth
10-24-2008, 05:14 PM
hey guys, can we stop reviving this thread?

stefan and unixmad cant do anything about it, we realize now.

xXziroXx
10-24-2008, 05:23 PM
I like how people always say that Unixmad is never checking this forum, I bet that he is at least once a day - ever heard of the option Use Invisible Mode? Darlene and Sam use it as well.

And I vote NO for this idea, mankind is getting too lazy as it is.

Elizabeth
10-24-2008, 05:25 PM
theres no voting in the situation, ziro, nothing can be done about it?

xXziroXx
10-24-2008, 05:29 PM
nothing can be done about it?

Why implement yet another useless vBulletin mod for something this trivial? Too many mods will make the place look like a swiss cheese with holes and flaws (mainly slower loading) everywhere.

Nataxo
10-24-2008, 10:58 PM
hey guys, can we stop reviving this thread?

stefan and unixmad cant do anything about it, we realize now.

-.-....fine....i had hope though.