PDA

View Full Version : Classic Conversion

Mark Sir Link
08-08-2008, 08:47 AM
I'm still confused as to why, after all these years, Storm didn't simply choose to convert the original Graal the Adventure content.

I've heard all the stupid reasoning behind it, but the reasoning holds little value when you consider that after all this time, Classic has a total of four quests. If I remember correctly, the NPC-Server was added sometime around February of 2004. I'm certain that 1 or 2 dedicated scripters could have converted a portion of Graal the Adventure that would lead to more content than is currently present.

Can someone please intervene and set the server straight? I don't even know the last time Master Storm was online and setting direction for the Development Team.

Can Stefan and Unixmad allow for the Graal the Adventure levels to be converted by someone else seperate of the current management on Classic? I (don't) understand the need for coded hit detection and movement, but I'm sure someone could use the systems that were done for Classic and have a working Graal the Adventure within a reasonable time frame.

Rufus
08-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Wow, deja vu.

Umat
08-08-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm still confused as to why, after all these years, Storm didn't simply choose to convert the original Graal the Adventure content.

I've heard all the stupid reasoning behind it, but the reasoning holds little value when you consider that after all this time, Classic has a total of four quests. If I remember correctly, the NPC-Server was added sometime around February of 2004. I'm certain that 1 or 2 dedicated scripters could have converted a portion of Graal the Adventure that would lead to more content than is currently present.

Can someone please intervene and set the server straight? I don't even know the last time Master Storm was online and setting direction for the Development Team.

Can Stefan and Unixmad allow for the Graal the Adventure levels to be converted by someone else separate of the current management on Classic? I (don't) understand the need for coded hit detection and movement, but I'm sure someone could use the systems that were done for Classic and have a working Graal the Adventure within a reasonable time frame.
Agreed, the last Graal Classic/The Adventure before GS2 was awesome. It had much space to explore and still had stuff left from early stages of Graal The Adventure. Nothing went into the trash.

Classic would possibly get back some of their players because of sentimental value. Who has forgotten the Blue and Red trident you could find. Or Fox building that had secret ways to go everywhere in graal city. Destiny had a purpose (it wasn't just some random place where half the houses you can't enter). It had the gravity fortress! Babord had a purpose too and a good quest.

I don't know why we start with 6 lives instead of 3 as it should be, and I don't know why we start with a LVL 2 sword when we should have to do a quest to get it. I believe it was found in lizardons temple in early stages. What happened to collect all graals? Where's Midas golden realm? God, I miss those times. Too bad everything has to change.

I've heard that Thor Fryhtan is developing towards a more known Graal Classic but in a new storyline and new style. Well, I like the old style and the old storyline. Which makes it classic. I like all the work Tyhm did. Rehire him and re-add all levels pre-2005/GS2 and convert the scripts.

I hope I made my point in this post. And I certainly hope that anyone just doesn't skip through this post just because it's a bit long.

jacob_bald6225
08-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Wow, deja vu.

I think you picked the wrong phrase.

Rufus
08-08-2008, 10:17 PM
I think you picked the wrong phrase.

Nope, I don't think I did.

DustyPorViva
08-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Rufus and I have an idea that would be a great server, and has some relation to Graal the Adventure. Sadly, it will never see the light of day.

jacob_bald6225
08-08-2008, 10:29 PM
Nope, I don't think I did.

Yah I take it back after thinking it over.

Regardless!

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8958/zip4managerzl7.png

Mark Sir Link
08-08-2008, 10:31 PM
I support zip4manager2008

jorollychu
08-09-2008, 12:56 AM
me too

Galdor
08-09-2008, 01:32 AM
I agree like where is my elven blast place ect?! classic is far from classic.

maximus_asinus
08-09-2008, 06:27 AM
I agree like where is my elven blast place ect?! classic is far from classic.Elven Blast? Wasn't that hidden in the forest and later removed? I remember the guild (elven kingdoms) I was in used that as a hidden base.

DustyPorViva
08-09-2008, 06:29 AM
Wasn't it the book gained at the end of Sardon's castle? After fighting the wizard? It never worked though(at least when I played) because they didn't have MP.

maximus_asinus
08-09-2008, 06:30 AM
Wasn't it the book gained at the end of Sardon's castle? After fighting the wizard? It never worked though(at least when I played) because they didn't have MP.if this is true, what the hell am I thinking of?

DustyPorViva
08-09-2008, 06:33 AM
Eh... don't get yourself all confused, there is a very high chance I'm wrong. I just remember a book at the end of Sardon's Tower quest that caused fired to spin around you outwards and it sounded like it fit the bill.

Nightmareangel
08-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Elven Blast was hidden in the old Elf village through the tree maze above Zero's Moon Tower. It was taken out in 2001... if I remember right b/c only the person using it could actually see the animation. Plus it was pretty powerful and fast. It was the one that shot out a bunch of leaves in a straight line. The thing at the end of the Sardon thing was the flame spiral I believe.

Galdor
08-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Elven Blast was hidden in the old Elf village through the tree maze above Zero's Moon Tower. It was taken out in 2001... if I remember right b/c only the person using it could actually see the animation. Plus it was pretty powerful and fast. It was the one that shot out a bunch of leaves in a straight line. The thing at the end of the Sardon thing was the flame spiral I believe.

Yea and there was a hidden room in the waterfall ^^
not that it was any fancy stuff in there but... xD

I liked those stuff about classic ^^ hidden secrets everywhere

maximus_asinus
08-10-2008, 06:32 AM
sweet I was remembering the right thing

DustyPorViva
08-10-2008, 06:40 AM
Classic is just going through evolution.

Sadly, I don't think natural selection is on its side.

jacob_bald6225
08-13-2008, 12:29 AM
I hereby suspend my campaign for manager... Classic is doomed, good day.

P.S.
I'll be back to resume the campaign in December.

Mark Sir Link
08-17-2008, 09:38 PM

Can Stefan and Unixmad allow for the Graal the Adventure levels to be converted by someone else seperate of the current management on Classic? I (don't) understand the need for coded hit detection and movement, but I'm sure someone could use the systems that were done for Classic and have a working Graal the Adventure within a reasonable time frame.

bump

Luda
10-16-2008, 10:01 AM
bump

bump, I was talking to Deo about how I converted over half of the overworld (outside levels), about a year ago with classic's current scripts like "join bush", "join door" ect and fixed tile errors and told Storm I would continue if he allowed it. Obviously he said no. :[

Polo
10-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Actually I seem to recall saying I'd be interested in seeing the work, then about a week later you told me you'd lost the files or something. I'm sure that was much more than a year ago though, so I could be thinking of another incident. >_<

I've certainly repeatedly said since that if there's any old stuff people want to convert and bring to the current server, there's usually no problem for them to do so. I kept a backup of all the old content specifically for this reason, and people have successfully asked me for levels. Just note that I won't be anywhere near that backup until Christmas though, due to my recent move to London (apparently computer don't fit in suitcases). ^^

Luda
10-16-2008, 10:27 AM
I don't recall you saying that :(

You are barley online so it's hard to reach you to get old things uploaded. Don't point me towards Thor, It seems to me that all he cares about is focusing on new stuff.

Also here's what I had done.
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68569

Edit: Quote from link above.

I should probably add though, following discussion here, that if people really do want it, and there will be benefits to doing it, then I'm certainly not going to try and stop it. :)

Do you still stand by this?

Deophite18
10-16-2008, 12:48 PM
I don't recall you saying that :(

You are barley online so it's hard to reach you to get old things uploaded. Don't point me towards Thor, It seems to me that all he cares about is focusing on new stuff.

Also here's what I had done.
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68569

Edit: Quote from link above.

I agree with Luda. Now that your back and you really need to start showing us why you fought for staying Manger when you were so close to being removed. We are friends Master Storm, and if you remember i was one of the people who supported you for manager all those years ago. However, if i had known what you had planned on doing with our server i never would have suppported you, no offense.

How many times did i beg you to leave our hit detection alone? But you insisted that there was a better way. And we all know how that turned out. People have been yelling it for 3+ years now. They want the old overworld back they want the old HD back. Obviously, this would have been a long term plan. But if it had been decided upon years ago it probably would already be done.

I should probably add though, following discussion here, that if people really do want it, and there will be benefits to doing it, then I'm certainly not going to try and stop it. :)

Of course there will be benefits. More oldbies would play there again and it would attract a lot more newer players than our current server does. I am ashamed to even refer to our server as "classic" because that is not what it is. It is a pathetic shell of it's former self. Something along the lines of "Master Storm & Thor's Graal Adventure" would be a more appropriate name for it i think.

Thor is a great developer and I have nothing against him but there is really no nostalgia for him. I think it is hard for him to see where the players are coming from when they say they want the old classic back. You however should understand. Especially by now after all these years looking at what classic has become. It went from having a 60 playercount to a 10 or less playercount for awhile. I think it's time you start focusing on what the players want and not what Master Storm "thinks" the players want. :D

DutchGuy
10-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Deo has spoken
expect server change shortly (right master storm?)

Rufus
10-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Ugh, arguing over old content again. Judging from what we've had, Thor's focus has actually been to add more old content rather than new content, but the old content that is being used isn't even being fixed up to a better standard or is completely useless. I mean it's 2008 and we're getting old content re-released to the same standard that we had in 2000, where's the progression?
Two old quests have been added back, and the idea of fixing them up so that they're of a better standard just seems to be the addition of inconvenience, which is far from more challenging or fun. Stop trying to pass off time as gameplay, because it is not.
Bowling was added, but UN's bowling which was made 2/3 years ago is much more player orientated and fun. Why are people going to use the bowling on Classic after the initial hype? Where was the effort put in to make it more fun? This current bowling has a really obvious grind with very little incentive. Where is the fun in grinding on a server like Classic? There isn't one.
Pointless content was added back, like a pond outside of Zol's Pub that nobody remembered, ATM's which are totally inconsistent with the theme and look even worse than they used to, crap like that. These objects only provide annoyance, rather than something innovative, nostalgic or amusing.

Things change, people change, and game mechanics change. How many games could be released from 2000 in their original state and still be successful today? Servers need to evolve with the current playerbase and future playerbase in mind. Tyhm's content would not have existed if this wasn't the case, but we're kind of past that now, I know. Just because I say the server should be evolving however, doesn't mean to say that the nostalgia and magic of the server cannot be continued -- you just need to identify what that was. The old content should be used, but it should also be shaped into a consistent and evolution of what it was, not just converted and uploaded or kept to the same standard it was.

Truth of the matter is that the majority of the older players have grown up, moved on, or detest what has happened and have no interest in the server now. These people are not the ones that the server should be developed for, but those are the only people it's currently being developed for. The server should be being designed for an audience, not for specific individuals and certainly not for personal recognition. We all have fond memories of the server when it was at it's height, but these aren't going to be brought back with the addition of more old content in it's original state, it's time to move forward.

Darlene159
10-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Truth of the matter is that the majority of the older players have grown up, moved on, or detest what has happened and have no interest in the server now. These people are not the ones that the server should be developed for, but those are the only people it's currently being developed for. The server should be being designed for an audience, not for specific individuals and certainly not for personal recognition. We all have fond memories of the server when it was at it's height, but these aren't going to be brought back with the addition of more old content in it's original state, it's time to move forward.I totally agree with this.

Oni
10-16-2008, 10:56 PM
DEO AND RUFUS DO WORK

2 bad the people that hav the power to change the server wont

Ok Thor is a good developer, but no offence, i dont think you really kno what the modern society wants. And Storm your really good with scripts and programming stuff, but also no offence but you never play and have no idea what classic really is or why it still even has a playercount of like 10.(CTF, few dedicated players)

like this is how i picture thor.
It's like your grandpa picking out clothes for you to wear, do u really want him choosing what you want to wear?
And this is how i picture storm.
I dont
never really see him :/

Deophite18
10-17-2008, 03:05 AM
Truth of the matter is that the majority of the older players have grown up, moved on, or detest what has happened and have no interest in the server now. These people are not the ones that the server should be developed for, but those are the only people it's currently being developed for. The server should be being designed for an audience, not for specific individuals and certainly not for personal recognition. We all have fond memories of the server when it was at it's height, but these aren't going to be brought back with the addition of more old content in it's original state, it's time to move forward.

Why are we still called Classic then? The server is not staying true to it's name. I mean i assumed we were called it for a reason. Graal has and still is evolving through OTHER servers which is fine. But if we were the original server and are still named "Classic" there should never be drastic changes.

Rufus
10-17-2008, 04:19 AM
Why are we still called Classic then? The server is not staying true to it's name. I mean i assumed we were called it for a reason. Graal has and still is evolving through OTHER servers which is fine. But if we were the original server and are still named "Classic" there should never be drastic changes.

The title of "Classic" is not describing the content alone, this argument is petty.

The "Classic" you're describing didn't have a Game Coordinator team, why have we got them now? Should they be removed? Classic didn't have bowling, should that go? The majority of the quests? The majority of the heads? Bodies? Yeah okay. What difference does the name make? Classic describes the style of gameplay, the elements the server contains, and the fact that it was the first server on Graal -- Classic does not describe how old a couple of levels are, because old does not necessarily mean something is classic, so why argue semantics? A change of name changes nothing.

Classic is never going to be the way it was when it was truly Classic (it wouldn't last another year if it was) but I never stated that "drastic" changes needed to be made, only a rebuff in how things were.

Unkownsoldier
10-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Who cares things change get over it.

Crono
10-18-2008, 05:02 PM

What?

Pimmeh
10-18-2008, 09:17 PM
I think they should add some old content in a new jacket, and then expand from that.
I, myself, played a lot of classic on my own with a downloaded 1.34 levels pack (or 1.36, cant recaal) when I couldnt pay for my own account yet. For over a year I played that, and still I look around for it, just to explore etc.

SO yeah, bigger is better in this version, but also new!

Mark Sir Link
10-18-2008, 10:28 PM
graal the adventure please

Knightess
10-19-2008, 12:23 PM
DO IT DO IT DO IT
Salvage the greatness that graal once was

TSAdmin
10-19-2008, 12:28 PM
*Waves flag* Go team "Graal the Adventure"

DuBsTeRmAn
10-19-2008, 12:33 PM
I support it! :O

Rufus
10-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Idiots.

Crono
10-19-2008, 04:30 PM

You

DO IT DO IT DO IT
Salvage the greatness that graal once was

don't

*Waves flag* Go team "Graal the Adventure"

play

I support it! :O

classic.

xXziroXx
10-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Shouldn't matter if you play Classic or not, it's common knowledge that it isn't half as good as Graal the Adventure was - now that was one hell of an awesome server.

Crono
10-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Shouldn't matter if you play Classic or not

Too bad it does.

xXziroXx
10-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Too bad it does.

Says you, sure, but is that the majority? According to this thread, no, it's not.

Rufus
10-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Says you, sure, but is that the majority? According to this thread, no, it's not.

Is an upload of a bunch of outdated levels, NPCs and quests from 2000-2002 going to 'fix' the server? No, it's not.

xXziroXx
10-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Is an upload of a bunch of outdated levels, NPCs and quests from 2000-2002 going to 'fix' the server? No, it's not.

No, it's definitely not, which is why the material would have to be updated to today's standards if it were to be done.

Rufus
10-20-2008, 07:55 PM
No, it's definitely not, which is why the material would have to be updated to today's standards if it were to be done.

I'm pretty sure I was the only person who said that, while the rest jumped on a bandwagon of "BRING BACK SOMETHING WE DIDN'T EVEN PLAY!" which is what Crono responded to.

xXziroXx
10-20-2008, 08:29 PM
I'm pretty sure I was the only person who said that, while the rest jumped on a bandwagon of "BRING BACK SOMETHING WE DIDN'T EVEN PLAY!" which is what Crono responded to.

I'd rather assume people just voted for a GtA revival, with everything that comes with it.

Rufus
10-20-2008, 09:29 PM
I'd rather assume people just voted for a GtA revival, with everything that comes with it.

Ignoring the fact that public opinion on this matter has never really affected anything, most people just want something back that they have good memories from. People think Graal The Adventure would be better than what is currently on Classic, which is not necessarily the case.

jorollychu
10-21-2008, 01:14 AM
graal the adventure had bowling and everything current classic has + more how could it not be better????

maximus_asinus
10-21-2008, 05:30 AM
graal the adventure had bowling and everything current classic has + more how could it not be better????This is true.

GtA is so large it could keep the average player exploring for days/weeks without them entering every level or finding every secret. The lack of content is a big reason why we cannot attract new players and why servers like UN keep them (also if we brought back the old content it would bring back a few old faces aswell). I don't understand why the idea of restoring old content is such a bad idea (now and back when it was first suggested). The current server has had four years to develop and it is a tenth of the size of GtA. This server only serves as a reminder to everyone that Classic failed (well those who have no vested interest in the server's development) and has no real chance of recovering... it might even be one of the reasons why Graal as a whole is going down the tubes.

jorollychu
10-21-2008, 08:58 AM
Luda told me this week he had converted half of the server's levels to be npc server compatible before master storm told him to stop doing it.

DustyPorViva
10-21-2008, 09:12 AM
I've offered to MS to convert the whole overworld to NPC-server compatible and GS2.

Knightess
10-21-2008, 09:23 AM
You

don't

play

classic.

Actually,
I played classic back in 01, BEFORE it got messed up.

Originally Posted by xXziroXx
Shouldn't matter if you play Classic or not

Originally Posted by Crono
Too bad it does.

Even though I dont really play classic anymore, I'm still going to throw my support for restoration of old classic.
Maybe you dont see that this "new classic" is the REASON I dont play classic anymore? :\

DustyPorViva
10-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Actually,
I played classic back in 01, BEFORE it got messed up.
Maybe you understand why I want it back now?
Classic wasn't that great back then, though, admittedly. I do remember it was pretty fun the first couple of weeks questing with others and such... but the quests were terrible. They were either broken, or not fun. The only reason you did the quests were for the prizes. Afterwards, what did you really do? You hung around level14 or such. You looked for stuff to do with others. I don't remember doing much else back in those days other than interacting with others in one or two levels. Everything really revolved around the community.

Do you think if that was brought back, that same atmosphere would return? I highly doubt it. You can't really bring back what Graal offered back then, but there is a ton you can do to improve the crap that's there now. I can't even get into Classic right now even though I'm trying because the hit-detection is so damn bad. There's also one very important factor that we just can't revive -- the fact Graal was free back then. Standards were pretty low back then, because... well, Graal was free. Who were we to complain?

My theory is to take the server when it was at its peak, convert it, then to treat it like it was being treated back then -- just adding on and improving what is there. Instead of revamping the whole overworld, add and fix it up. Also, I'd like to see the old quests changed in odd ways and such so that they're familiar, yet completely new. Remove a lot of the nobody playerhouses and let new players fill them in. Treat the server like a server in need of expanding instead of changing.

Knightess
10-21-2008, 09:37 AM
Classic wasn't that great back then, though, admittedly. I do remember it was pretty fun the first couple of weeks questing with others and such... but the quests were terrible. They were either broken, or not fun. The only reason you did the quests were for the prizes. Afterwards, what did you really do? You hung around level14 or such. You looked for stuff to do with others. I don't remember doing much else back in those days other than interacting with others in one or two levels. Everything really revolved around the community.

Do you think if that was brought back, that same atmosphere would return? I highly doubt it. You can't really bring back what Graal offered back then, but there is a ton you can do to improve the crap that's there now. I can't even get into Classic right now even though I'm trying because the hit-detection is so damn bad. There's also one very important factor that we just can't revive -- the fact Graal was free back then. Standards were pretty low back then, because... well, Graal was free. Who were we to complain?

My theory is to take the server when it was at its peak, convert it, then to treat it like it was being treated back then -- just adding on and improving what is there. Instead of revamping the whole overworld, add and fix it up. Also, I'd like to see the old quests changed in odd ways and such so that they're familiar, yet completely new. Remove a lot of the nobody playerhouses and let new players fill them in. Treat the server like a server in need of expanding instead of changing.

I agree with you in some parts,

Granted we want this to be appealing to the new players eyes too,
Which is what Classic Was, I remember joining as a newb

Now granted the majority of people who come back may be oldbies,
But whats more unappealing to a newbie than a deserted server?

TSAdmin
10-21-2008, 09:57 AM
You don't play classic.

Maybe the reasons they say something is the same reason they "Don't play classic" anymore?

Deophite18
10-21-2008, 11:06 AM
I've offered to MS to convert the whole overworld to NPC-server compatible and GS2.
If you REALLY offered this and he REALLY didn't accept, then i don't really know what to say about him at this point.

This sounds good to me. To bad classic's MANAGER stopped posting on this thread all a sudden. Some feedback from him would be nice *looking at you Storm* :\

jorollychu
10-21-2008, 11:27 AM
remember what luda said deo he was converting stuff

Crono
10-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Maybe the reasons they say something is the same reason they "Don't play classic" anymore?

I can wager that most don't play it anymore because they never really did. If people's definition of "I PLAYED CLASIK BAK IN LIEK 02 LOL" is logging on for a few hours then hopping back off, then I played Classic as well in 2000. The server itself is better today than it ever was, but the community is not. The community is not something you can fix, everyone disappeared after Graal went fully p2p and I doubt most of them would come back even if Graal were to be free again.

xXziroXx
10-21-2008, 04:10 PM
I can wager that most don't play it anymore because they never really did.

I can't remember what year it was, but I for one definitely played during the Graal the Adventure era. I remember playing once or twice before it, but I didn't really have a regular Internet connection so I quickly deleted it. I "found it again" after a friend in my class talked about it, and his little brother invited me to their guild "Swedish Vikings" which they had created. Good old times!

jorollychu
10-21-2008, 08:45 PM
how is the server better now than it was in 2004???? what is there now that 2004 didnt have? some GC levels? we dont even have things as simple as hovercrafts anymore.

Crono
10-21-2008, 09:21 PM
how is the server better now than it was in 2004???? what is there now that 2004 didnt have? some GC levels? we dont even have things as simple as hovercrafts anymore.

Events are everything these days.

Knightess
10-21-2008, 11:25 PM
I can't remember what year it was, but I for one definitely played during the Graal the Adventure era. I remember playing once or twice before it, but I didn't really have a regular Internet connection so I quickly deleted it. I "found it again" after a friend in my class talked about it, and his little brother invited me to their guild "Swedish Vikings" which they had created. Good old times!

Remember the races? Vampire, Zorbi, etc.
But they removed the races and turned it into GTA, which was still good.

Mark Sir Link
10-21-2008, 11:28 PM
which race had the speed boost, I picked that one

DustyPorViva
The races were terrible, to be honest.

Mark Sir Link
The races were terrible, to be honest.

yes but magic was awesome

Graal the Adventure PLSSS

Polo
If you REALLY offered this and he REALLY didn't accept, then i don't really know what to say about him at this point.
I don't recall the offer specifically (certainly at least not in great deal), though plenty of people have offered so there's a good chance it happened. I probably said the same as I did to Luda, that until I could see some concrete progress I'd be very skeptical about committing to a project with such a high risk of not delivering.

If people genuinely want to put the time in to convert the old stuff then this is fine, but understand that Classic was losing players before we switched to NPC server. Regardless of whether the old content is better or not, I have reservations that it will attract players in the long term. This is why I'm much more positive about quests and landmarks being converted rather than the whole lot. It's much less total work whilst still getting the majority of the benefits.

This sounds good to me. To bad classic's MANAGER stopped posting on this thread all a sudden. Some feedback from him would be nice *looking at you Storm* :\
I've never been one to make a lot of posts. But just because I don't post in a thread does not mean I'm not reading it. I have my own views on where I think Classic should go, and anyone who has taken the time to ask me about them has gotten a full and honest answer. Classic has never been about what I want though; it's a combination of what the players want and what is realistically possible. There have been some good suggestions and ideas made in this thread, but it's clear to me that there's a massive variety of views. Whilst ultimately we all want a better Classic, no-one seems to agree on one definitive way to achieve it.

I was playing Classic before the millennium; we didn't even have events or an events team back then. Those were some of the times I enjoyed most: not because of the content, but because of the community. ^^

DustyPorViva
10-21-2008, 11:30 PM
I was playing Classic before the millennium; we didn't even have events or an events team back then. Those were some of the times I enjoyed most: not because of the content, but because of the community. ^^
People pretty much made their own events.

draygin
10-21-2008, 11:35 PM
Nor do we have cool things like the fighting fish. Also there are pretty much no secret areas left in the game. Half the fun I had playing Classic back in the day with all of the secrets you could discover. One of the coolest being the Black Gelat worth 100k... I understand why it was taken it out but man was it awesome finding it.

That along with the ability of finding any number of secret passageways that lead through out the server. That or the trident by saying phantasmagoria in the room in destiny.

Not to mention there was an insane amount of quests compared to what little remains now. One thing I've been wondering is why the heck is there so many Red Dragon Inn's on the server? I've seen something like 3 of the same exact inn.

It was also cool when the rat form was taken out but by going into a certain building and going into rooms in a certain order made it so that you where able to get in the old levels and complete the quest for it.

The fact is a ton of quests and items have been taken out and only a fraction of those have been replaced. Things that did nothing to break the game but where incredibly fun. The various types of boots such as reverse boots and items such as the suicide dagger.
Fun things that gave no advantage over other players. I was never one to hang out in level14.graal myself and I've never really seen the appeal. I played on Classic for over a year and a half and only changed because a friend dragged me to another server to check it out and then my old guild fell apart shortly after that.

Edit: Players making their own events was pretty cool. The biggest that I remember and probably my favorite was when a bunch of people started playing as Confederate and Union and went to war against each other. The whole server became a big battle ground for that nights activities.

Mark Sir Link
10-21-2008, 11:59 PM
If people genuinely want to put the time in to convert the old stuff then this is fine, but understand that Classic was losing players before we switched to NPC server. Regardless of whether the old content is better or not, I have reservations that it will attract players in the long term. This is why I'm much more positive about quests and landmarks being converted rather than the whole lot. It's much less total work whilst still getting the majority of the benefits.

I'll interpret the beginning of that paragraph has meaning you've given permission for people to begin converting older content.

Polo
10-22-2008, 12:09 AM
I'll interpret the beginning of that paragraph has meaning you've given permission for people to begin converting older content.
Yes, more than once. I encourage the updating of old quests/landmarks heavily. Converting the whole old server entirely is a different scale of job altogether though, and one needs to consider if it will actually bring players in (given that it was losing them before). :)

DustyPorViva
10-22-2008, 12:57 AM
Yes, more than once. I encourage the updating of old quests/landmarks heavily. Converting the whole old server entirely is a different scale of job altogether though, and one needs to consider if it will actually bring players in (given that it was losing them before). :)
Pretty hard when you don't actually give anyone anything to work with.

Darklux
10-22-2008, 07:30 PM
The question is:

Won't that just be another playerworld revival which has proven to fail nearly every time?

DutchGuy
10-22-2008, 07:58 PM
lets leave classic as it is. the server is full of oldbies left-overs and does not attract new players. It has been struggling for years now on how to improve itself.
The upcoming years new servers will arise and eventually the servers that are now popular will go down the drain to.
Many people will leave this game as the majurity of graal is way to old to be even playing this game. This will result in a lack of experience in developers meaning the game will shut down. Stefan already has his money.

DustyPorViva
10-22-2008, 09:17 PM
lets leave classic as it is.
You mean the laggy, crippled version it is now? You can't even PK or spar because it uses serverside detection.

Everything done on the current version has been done in some convoluted matter when it could have been done a lot simpler. There was no reason to rescript the entire damn system, and if there was it shouldn't have taken the direction it has.

jorollychu
10-23-2008, 10:55 AM
races were awesome but unbalanced instead of improving them they just scrapped them. lame

maximus_asinus
10-23-2008, 11:06 AM
races were awesome but unbalanced instead of improving them they just scrapped them. lameYeah, vampires had speed boosts and healing if they killed high AP players. I remember guild warring under the Baddies tag by myself in Babord and cleaning up because I'd quickly get low AP and become a one man wrecking crew as long as a few high APers were around (and whenever Ventrue was around you would be sure that Sting, Bell, and a few others would be fighting with 90+ AP).

-Ramirez-
10-26-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm amazed that there's still a decent amount of people interested in the old content and still with the drive to get it restored.

Galdor
10-26-2008, 02:53 PM
i'm amazed that there's still a decent amount of people interested in the old content and still with the drive to get it restored.

kaaat!!!!! <3

maximus_asinus
10-27-2008, 02:26 AM
I'm amazed that there's still a decent amount of people interested in the old content and still with the drive to get it restored.Dude, everyone is interested in the old content except for the people in charge.