PDA

View Full Version : Skateboarding.

Rufus
06-23-2008, 06:08 PM
You know, that thread-bumping maniac wasn't half wrong when he thought skateboarding on Era had potential, because it actually really does. I logged on the other day with Crono, bummed some money off him to purchase a deck, and we had fun with the two tricks available in the one area you can do them in. The fun was short-lived and it left me wondering why skateboarding, albeit not a huge priority, hasn't been further developed as it could be (for lack of a better phrase) ****ing fun.

I've got a few suggestions on how to build on the skating, or amend it if possible, but it really isn't hard. I heard a rumor skateboards were nerfed to increase the value of cars (because you know, transport is transport) but like the war in Iraq, it never had to be this way. Anyway..
Ditch the Fisher-Price headgear.
I don't think I know a single real skater who would actually wear a helmet. I know it's safety, and you were probably told to wear one when you were young. I was told too, but I never did, and if mommy told you to wear a helmet online, well mommy should log on herself, and be shot, nine thousand times like the rest of us.

Making skateboards worse than cars.
The current skateboard movement is extremely stiff; you turn your direction and lose the speed you built up, you can't fit through areas which you can already do by walking, and you're restricted to + directions which makes for bad transactions. Apparently these things are to (as mentioned previously) make sure skateboards are worse than cars in the grand scheme of things; it doesn't have to be that way though.

In reality, a skateboard can go as fast as the average car speed, but not for very long. The reason everyone isn't out in the streets skateboarding to work and school is because skateboarding is also something you build up skills in. The momentum should be built up at first by pushing off, then you should build on that more, then you would eventually slow down needing to push again. This alone would differentiate between car movement and skating movement. Along with that, skateboards generally deteriorate over time with what you're performing on, how badly you execute tricks, and if these skateboards did deteriorate per-part then not only would they be "worse than cars" for durability, but it would have economy++ points too. Deteriorating parts rather than the entire board makes the blow easier for the player, because nobody is going to want to shell out 600 bucks entirely for another set. If one part was broken or on it's way, it would effect the rest of the parts, and your ability to ride and perform tricks too.

Improve the performance and skill required with tricks.
Seemingly everybody likes systems you can 'level up' with these days, and as you learn more tricks and do them more often, you get better. This concept can be easily conveyed into a stat-building process. Currently there is 3 tricks: grinding, 360 flip (tre flip), and the varial flip, but as far as I know you can only do these inside the skate park. EXPAND IT SO YOU CAN DO THESE TRICKS OUTSIDE PLEASE. I don't see why it hasn't been done already, but why not also add more basic and well known tricks, such as kick flip, heel flip, big spin, 180 frontside/backside, nollie, switch, fakie, etc. You probably have no idea what I just said if you don't know much about skating, but they're pretty generic and would be easy to pull off on Graal. In time more tricks could be added, and you get better you learn them, I guess there would have some kind of difficulty level per trick, but for every super hard trick you pull off, there's super hard bragging rights to go with it.

One big gripe other than the fact there's only three tricks, you can only perform tricks inside a small "skate park" area, and the part where it doesn't take any skill at all, is the grinding. Like the others, grinding takes no skill at all, but it'd be much better if it did and it would be pretty damn easy to add that too. I'm straight up ripping most other skating games here (namely Tony Hawks) but if the majority do it, they must be doing something right ;). Having something like this, which requires you to keep your balance to complete a trick is just one small addition that would make it much better:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll18/rufuslol/grind_meter.png

p.s Display the tricks you've just performed on the bottom of the screen, or in the message system. Player chat is weak.

Add new deck designs, more realism, less 'Word Art' graphics.
I think out of the choice you get as a deck, there was around, say, two that were decent. The majority of the designs looked like they were made on Microsoft Word 1.7, and although the majority of these designs have oddly colored grip tape, in reality it's a pretty rare (and lame) thing to see. It would be nice to see some decent designs that were more influenced off what decks actually look like, and less server name branding all over them. Customizing is fun, and another direction that could be gone with this is fully customizing your decks. Different trucks, wheels, etc through choice would really make a board your own, and works well with the above.

If this stuff was done, some of the points alone would improve the current system 100% but there's no point in doing one thing and leaving it at that. If development was made on the skateboarding part of Era (which is quite minimal) you're opening up to a whole new target, which can't hurt. Things such as adding new skills that take skill could branch off into new events, new deck designs could branch off into competitions, the possibilities are there, just gotta find the time to do all this.

Door
06-23-2008, 06:25 PM
This is actually a really cool idea! I have played like one skateboarding game in the past (Cuz my friend brought it over) and holy crap it was way more awesome than I expected. Also Sora and I rack up the points hardcore in Hollow Bastion HECK YER.

I think along with customizing your board and its parts, you should also be able to have a matching/custom helmet. Yeah, some people think it's silly to wear a helmet but it actually does protect your most vital organ (You know, that little thing called a brain) and your most important aesthetic feature (your face). Falling off while not wearing one could lose you a good chunk of health, while wearing it would protect your life points. Also I personally think they look cool.

Rufus
06-23-2008, 06:32 PM
I forgot to mention this one in my initial post, but having areas that you can only skate to (through tricks like kickflipping through a gap for instance) would also add value and fun in having a skateboard/gaining skills/skating.

blazeingonix
06-23-2008, 06:33 PM
like tony hawks games

Rufus
06-23-2008, 06:35 PM
like tony hawks games

No.. like Halo and Turok.

Crono
06-23-2008, 06:46 PM
sk8rbois

Deas_Voice
06-23-2008, 07:06 PM
cool idea'
i would skate more when i was on era if this was made :)

doyouskate
06-24-2008, 01:26 AM
I HAD to check this thread out with the title 'Skateboarding'.

I like your ideas about the deck and turning system also you can also turn off your helmet by saying /helmet off i think. Also, you seem to know a lot about skating :o!

kia345
06-24-2008, 01:36 AM
Saying "hat off" removes your helmet yo.

Rufus
06-24-2008, 01:43 AM
Saying "hat off" removes your helmet yo.

Yeah.. no. The dumb helmet appears every time you get off and get back on the skateboard.

Door
06-24-2008, 02:02 AM
Yeah.. no. The dumb helmet appears every time you get off and get back on the skateboard.

Good! People should wear their helmets every time. Perhaps we should make it flash a big red "DANGER, SKATING WITHOUT A HELMET IS POTENTIALLY LIFE THREATENING!" on the screen if you take it off. Constantly. Until you put it back on.

Rufus
06-24-2008, 02:04 AM
Good! People should wear their helmets every time. Perhaps we should make it flash a big red "DANGER, SKATING WITHOUT A HELMET IS POTENTIALLY LIFE THREATENING!" on the screen if you take it off. Constantly. Until you put it back on.

Walking outside of the hospital is "life threatening" on Era.

Door
06-24-2008, 02:15 AM
Walking outside of the hospital is "life threatening" on Era.

You know I just don't think it's a very nice server at all.

TheFisherman
06-24-2008, 02:17 AM
knee pads+wrist pads or i will not agree
:asleep:

kia345
06-24-2008, 02:45 AM
Street lights, cops that do their job, speed limits, and maybe even crossing guards. Yeah!

blazeingonix
06-24-2008, 03:31 AM
irl helmets sucks

DustyPorViva
06-24-2008, 04:10 AM
No helmets, are you crazy??? Is this what you want!?!? HUH!?!?!
Safety first, kiddies.

Crono
06-24-2008, 04:25 AM
LOL that's pretty awesome dusty

Door
06-24-2008, 05:21 AM
omfg that is terrible how can anyone not wear a helmet, how do their mothers sleep at night!??!

06-24-2008, 09:08 AM
hahahaha

i will play around with the skateboard movement actually, Masa mentioned it yesterday. I'll probably do it later this week or next week, I've got to do a few things first but it'll be done ^^

thank you

Vimerge
06-24-2008, 03:23 PM
only retards fall on their head

Seeya
04-06-2010, 10:00 PM
street lights, cops that do their job, speed limits, and maybe even crossing guards. Yeah!

loap

Old_Days
04-06-2010, 10:51 PM
No helmets, are you crazy??? Is this what you want!?!? HUH!?!?!
Safety first, kiddies.

Did he fall off a skateboard or a building? Thats pretty dramatic...lol

iRedemption
04-07-2010, 01:12 AM
how about instead of skateboarding we work on pk

go skateboard irl ***got

fowlplay4
04-07-2010, 01:27 AM

go skateboard irl ***got

y so mad at 2 year bump

iRedemption
04-13-2010, 04:05 AM
second acct asswhipe

fowlplay4
04-13-2010, 04:35 AM
second acct asswhipe

y u mad tho

DustyPorViva
04-13-2010, 04:56 AM

go skateboard irl ***got
This was posted two years ago, and I'm pretty sure they haven't touched skateboards at all in the last two years. This thread in itself disproves your points.

kia345
04-13-2010, 05:33 AM

go skateboard irl ***got

How about you pk irl

Seeya
04-14-2010, 02:44 PM

go skateboard irl ***got

+rep

Crono
04-14-2010, 03:52 PM
i used to exclusively skate around era a few years ago and also epic shot of two bros
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44961