PDA

View Full Version : Did you start with GScript?

Robin
05-15-2008, 11:43 AM
I was having a discussion with Tig the other day. We both encountered and made an effort to learn GScript. It was in essence the thing that we "started with" and created our love for programming in all forms. Once we learnt GScript, other programming languages came very easily.

So I ask this question to everyone else. Was Gscript your "first" language?

DustyPorViva
05-15-2008, 11:51 AM
Yup. It taught me the basics of programming that has helped me skip the intermediates of most other languages and jump right into the complicated stuff.

Sadly though, my only other attempts at programming was C++, and that was too intimidating for me, and I hated the fact that I couldn't jump right into graphical stuff. I lost patience with it and forgot about it.

I've been wanting to get into programming for a while but never tried hard enough to learn/gather the resources. I heard original Graal was written in Delphi, so I've wanted to try that but I don't think I've found any free compilers for it or anything.

Robin
05-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Yup. It taught me the basics of programming that has helped me skip the intermediates of most other languages and jump right into the complicated stuff.

Sadly though, my only other attempts at programming was C++, and that was too intimidating for me, and I hated the fact that I couldn't jump right into graphical stuff. I lost patience with it and forgot about it.

I've been wanting to get into programming for a while but never tried hard enough to learn/gather the resources. I heard original Graal was written in Delphi, so I've wanted to try that but I don't think I've found any free compilers for it or anything.

Yeah Delphi is not free, but you have the same problem, you can't dive directly into graphics programming like you can with gscript, and that has been a reason why I disliked alot of packages.

One day I decided to learn DirectX programming in Visual Basic 6, and after about six months I had discovered I had remade Graal x-x (Tiling engine, NPCs, it could even open and load .NW levels, Although it ran at 60fps on a very cruddy computer, none of this 20fps lark :O)

Infact I'd say the closest thing to GScript in terms of direct graphics processing is Flash :O

DustyPorViva
05-15-2008, 12:00 PM
I don't want to do Java or Flash. Ever.

Twinny
05-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Gscript for me too ^^

DustyPorViva
05-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Oh, and Robin, you have to share that remade Graal with me :P

xXziroXx
05-15-2008, 01:23 PM
It was the first for me as well. Since, I've only bothered to learn PHP, XML and Lua, and I'm not really an expert on any of those.

Crow
05-15-2008, 01:46 PM
I started with GScript. I found it really easy to get into programming this way, and now I'm also into PHP and Lua (coding AddOns @ WoW).
GScript made me love programming, yesh <3

Robin
05-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Oh, and Robin, you have to share that remade Graal with me :P

Visual Basic 6 based on DirectDraw 7 and instead of gscript, VBScript.

I posted my tiling engine on planetsourcecode and of course, the tileset was from FTO, because I didn't fancy getting in trouble with Graal :P

You sure? :D

DustyPorViva
05-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Heh, the 60fps sounds nice, and you say it runs fast on slow machines(I have a very old one)? I'd love to try it out.

60fps... does that mean you have timeouts under 0.05? :o

Robin
05-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Heh, the 60fps sounds nice, and you say it runs fast on slow machines(I have a very old one)? I'd love to try it out.

60fps... does that mean you have timeouts under 0.05? :o

Well I didn't have timeouts per sť. I had everything event driven. I don't really feel like getting out my old hard drive, and I don't own VB6 anymore, but I'd really love to try and rebuild it possibly using SDL.

I guess you could say the timeouts were every millisecond? Although I did recode everything to use frame based movement that were every ten milliseconds, which would make the timeout 0.01 seconds.

The frames per second were ranging from 200-60 wildly so I capped it at 60. The computer I made it on was a pentium 2, with geforce 2 mx 440 graphic card (with 8mb of graphics memory!)

DustyPorViva
05-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Funny, that's about the same machine I'm running right now :P
I think that's always something that stomped me while trying to learn how to code games in other languages. Mostly everything in Graal is done via timeouts... I never really figured out how to apply the same logic in other languages.

Robin
05-15-2008, 03:24 PM
When you think about it, most games go like this:

Initialize
Main loop
Process input
Display output
End loop

You're not really doing much different with timeouts.

Tigairius
05-15-2008, 05:58 PM
I would never have learned Gscript2 if I hadn't learned Gscript, and I would never have explored several other languages if I hadn't known Gscript2. Gscript and Graal has formed my entire life since I was 10, literally, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Thank you Stefan and unixmad.

Dan
05-15-2008, 07:19 PM
I would never have learned Gscript2 if I hadn't learned Gscript, and I would never have explored several other languages if I hadn't known Gscript2. Gscript and Graal has formed my entire life since I was 10, literally, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Thank you Stefan and unixmad.

Very well said. Same goes for me here.

cbk1994
05-15-2008, 10:22 PM
Gscript did not start my programming experience; I knew BASIC and then Java before it; however Graal did help create my love for programming.

Inverness
05-15-2008, 10:37 PM
GScript was the beginning for me, and I now have interests in C++ and C# and a future in programming.

By the way, nice delete reason @ Skyld.

If you want to jump right into graphical stuff in C++ then check out SDL. And there is also SDL.NET for C#.

Tigairius
05-15-2008, 10:39 PM
By the way, nice delete reason @ Skyld.

Yeah, if you saw what "s"he posted you'd know why ... it was pretty ridiculous.

Inverness
05-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Yeah, if you saw what "s"he posted you'd know why ... it was pretty ridiculous.I think it would be nice if there was a feature where you could collapse posts like how you would in a Tree View; it would be the step short of deletion. And the mods could make certain posts collapsed by default and marked as offensive or off-topic or so, that way you could still read if you're interested.

Tigairius
05-15-2008, 11:17 PM
I think it would be nice if there was a feature where you could collapse posts like how you would in a Tree View; it would be the step short of deletion. And the mods could make certain posts collapsed by default and marked as offensive or off-topic or so, that way you could still read if you're interested.

I agree, mods and admins can already do that with a deleted post, regular members can't though.

DustyPorViva
05-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Yeah, if you saw what "s"he posted you'd know why ... it was pretty ridiculous.
PM me it please :P

cbk1994
05-16-2008, 12:52 AM
PM me it please :P

Me too, I'd like to see what could be so bad Skyld wants them to get the hell off his forum.

Robin
05-16-2008, 01:21 AM
Me too, I'd like to see what could be so bad Skyld wants them to get the hell off his forum.

I know what he said.

It wasn't that bad but it was very trolly.

Why are you never online Chris? :(

cbk1994
05-16-2008, 02:31 AM
Why are you never online Chris? :(

I am on now :)

Stryke
05-16-2008, 03:59 AM
My first programming language was Game Maker. Helped me heaps in learning GS2.

DustyPorViva
05-16-2008, 04:02 AM
Game maker was horrible. Of course, last time I tried it was before it had any sort of language. Everything had to be done via object interactions and a crappy GUI system.

Rapidwolve24
05-16-2008, 04:13 AM
Started with GScript. After that HTML, PHP, JavaScript. Now I am working on a game in C++. GScript made it much easier for me to learn these other languages quickly and its a great place to start.

Attached is a application I began programming with C++ a couple weeks ago.

At the moment the program has the following features:

[Custom]Has its own file format for resources (.ocr: levels, meshes, worlds)
[DirectX]Draws graphics (text, mesh files, images)
[WinSock]Connects to a server (only connects)
[DirectX]Reads input from devices (mouse, keyboard)

Twinny
05-16-2008, 05:39 AM
Started with GScript. After that HTML, PHP, JavaScript. Now I am working on a game in C++. GScript made it much easier for me to learn these other languages quickly and its a great place to start.

"Oakdale City - a place for graalians" ...... I sense an allmighty smack down approaching, Phil.

cbk1994
05-16-2008, 05:44 AM
Game maker was horrible. Of course, last time I tried it was before it had any sort of language. Everything had to be done via object interactions and a crappy GUI system.

It was pretty fun to be able to make my own little games when I was seven or eight, but I agree it sucks for anything above the element of fun with a friend.

DustyPorViva
05-16-2008, 05:59 AM
It was great for things like racing games/platformers... otherwise it was terrible. Even when I was 8 or so I realized this. I think it was the complete lack of any tile support, which made it hard to build anything without using tons of objects.

cbk1994
05-16-2008, 06:01 AM
I'm just saying that it was fun to make some suckish games quickly ... I recall making a game on Sonic with a friend, we had like 6 crappy games you could download.

Inverness
05-16-2008, 09:50 AM

I don't think using C++ and DirectX itself is a good idea unless you're creating a high-level 3D gaming engine. You're probably better off using SDL in place of DirectX (SDL uses DirectX to render or can be set to work alongside OpenGL).

I would use C# and SDL.NET if I wanted to make a game.

Crow
05-16-2008, 01:44 PM
The most recent version of Game Maker is actually pretty advanced and can even load custom DLLs ;o

Rapidwolve24
05-17-2008, 10:38 PM
I don't think using C++ and DirectX itself is a good idea unless you're creating a high-level 3D gaming engine. You're probably better off using SDL in place of DirectX (SDL uses DirectX to render or can be set to work alongside OpenGL).

I would use C# and SDL.NET if I wanted to make a game.

C# isn't powerful, and SDL is cheating in my eyes.

Robin
05-17-2008, 10:51 PM
C# isn't powerful, and SDL is cheating in my eyes.

How so is SDL cheating if it allows rapid application development?

cbk1994
05-17-2008, 11:09 PM
How so is SDL cheating if it allows rapid application development?

Exactly. It's a helping tool, in a way.

I think that every programming language is cheating; people need to build their own programming languages, it's cheating to use someone else's.

Crow
05-17-2008, 11:11 PM

I think that every programming language is cheating; people need to build their own programming languages, it's cheating to use someone else's.

Yea, lets all use ASM to create games ;D

cbk1994
05-17-2008, 11:24 PM
Yea, lets all use ASM to create games ;D

The American Society For Microbiology?

I don't think that'd work too well.

Tolnaftate2004
05-19-2008, 01:25 AM
The American Society For Microbiology?

I don't think that'd work too well.

Good work; assembly.

bscharff
06-11-2008, 01:26 AM
PHP while scripting Housekeeping for Habbo Hotel Retros.
Saw GS1 and the many similarities - then GS2, etc.

Admins
06-11-2008, 02:16 AM
I started with Pascal :) No Graalscript back then :D

Inverness
06-11-2008, 02:31 AM

I think that every programming language is cheating; people need to build their own programming languages, it's cheating to use someone else's.I've always had you balanced between the Smart and Retard sides of the meter but that tilted it towards Retard.

You should stay away from the game development world.

And by the way, how is C# not powerful?

cbk1994
06-11-2008, 02:49 AM
I've always had you balanced between the Smart and Retard sides of the meter but that tilted it towards Retard.

You should stay away from the game development world.

And by the way, how is C# not powerful?

The members of these forums do not have the ability to comprehend sarcasm.

Chompy
06-11-2008, 02:16 PM
The members of these forums do not have the ability to comprehend sarcasm.

so that includes you too? :D

Anyways, I started with gscript :p I'm now doing more C++ though..

cbk1994
06-11-2008, 02:46 PM
so that includes you too? :D

MEANIE :cry:

Frankie
06-11-2008, 11:44 PM
a few years ago I was into mIRC and stuff. people made a lot of neat stuff with coding on there and I got into it. after doing it for about 4 years, I got really good at it. I know it's not anything like c++ or any other programming language, but you could make a lotttt of neat stuff with it and it did get me into programming. when I started Graal and found out that you could code your own things, I was interested. at first, with normal gscript, I wasn't too good. when gs2 came out I got into it much more and I know a lot now.