PDA

View Full Version : Couple New Dev Questions

UnforgottenRealms
05-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Hey I been trying to read the wiki and avoid asking questions but a couple of these problems have me stuck after a couple hours working on them.

1. My levels are looping online using a gmap, by this I mean if I shoot a bow or drop a bomb, the arrow will hit the edge of one level and go back on it. Is there a way around this or do you just design levels for it?

Example: http://xs227.xs.to/xs227/08201/gmaploopinglevels825.jpg

2. My map and minimap do not seem to work correctly online. I can get them to work offline but online is a different story. A lot of the info I have read has said that "MAPIMG mapname.png" in the gmap does not work anymore and I have to do it through the serveroptions but that seems to not work either. I have made a separate .txt file with just the mapnames but I am wondering if it's where I'm uploading these files thats causing the issue. I have put the map and text file in the levels folder, is there something I am missing?

Example: http://xs227.xs.to/xs227/08201/mapproblem389.jpg

3. The last problem I am handing is a simple understanding of scripts, mostly just which one you use for what. Say I wanted to make a basic GUI window that opened whenever the player typed "/menu". Do I use an NPC or a Weapon? Currently it looks like if I use a weapon, I have to have something in my inventory which would be very cluttery if I kept making scripts in it but if I use an NPC then doesn't that require them to be in the same area as the person for the script? How would I got about setting up a script that I want to simply always on the server?

Thanks a lot in advance to anyone that can help!

zokemon
05-12-2008, 11:21 AM
@ 2:
You should first remove the #'s as those act as comments (like // for scripts) when placed in the serveroptions.

Don't know if it works though even after doing that, I always scripted my own maps and such.

@ 3:
Weapons (also known as WNPCs) are NPCs so I think the question you are asking is:
"Do I use a Level NPC or a WNPC?"

You will want to use a WNPC for that since the Level NPC wouldn't work once you left the level. In terms of having it clutter your inventory, you have two options:
Make a custom inventory system. This would require quite a bit of scripting knowledge so you may want to hire a scripter if you do this.
Use the default inventory and just have the system WNPCs start with dashs. Example WNPC names: -System, -Chat, -Uberstuff. Also, WNPCs that start with * can't be deleted by the player.

Hope that helps :)

UnforgottenRealms
05-12-2008, 11:40 AM
@ 2:
You should first remove the #'s as those act as comments (like // for scripts) when placed in the serveroptions.

Don't know if it works though even after doing that, I always scripted my own maps and such.

@ 3:
Weapons (also known as WNPCs) are NPCs so I think the question you are asking is:
"Do I use a Level NPC or a WNPC?"

You will want to use a WNPC for that since the Level NPC wouldn't work once you left the level. In terms of having it clutter your inventory, you have two options:
Make a custom inventory system. This would require quite a bit of scripting knowledge so you may want to hire a scripter if you do this.
Use the default inventory and just have the system WNPCs start with dashs. Example WNPC names: -System, -Chat, -Uberstuff. Also, WNPCs that start with * can't be deleted by the player.

Hope that helps :)

The comment code seems to be getting me somewhere! Big map isn't working but the mini is so I'll play around with that. As for the weapon thing, I guess I'll have to make me goal to work on a custom inventory as well but I'm glad to know thats what I'll have to do thanks a bunch.

Robin
05-12-2008, 12:02 PM
The reason your arrows are looping back on themselves is because gmaps do not support the old arrow functions.

You need to make a custom bow, using the shoot command and appropriate commands.

UnforgottenRealms
05-12-2008, 12:39 PM
The reason your arrows are looping back on themselves is because gmaps do not support the old arrow functions.

You need to make a custom bow, using the shoot command and appropriate commands.

Thanks Robin!

DustyPorViva
05-12-2008, 12:46 PM
2. My map and minimap do not seem to work correctly online. I can get them to work offline but online is a different story. A lot of the info I have read has said that "MAPIMG mapname.png" in the gmap does not work anymore and I have to do it through the serveroptions but that seems to not work either. I have made a separate .txt file with just the mapnames but I am wondering if it's where I'm uploading these files thats causing the issue. I have put the map and text file in the levels folder, is there something I am missing?
Remove the map stuff from serveroptions. There is a command(MINIMAPIMG?) that you can put into the gmap file itself to load a minimap. Check the wiki for more details on that. Maps themselves do not work online(only automapping...). Stefan please fix this?

UnforgottenRealms
05-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Remove the map stuff from serveroptions. There is a command(MINIMAPIMG?) that you can put into the gmap file itself to load a minimap. Check the wiki for more details on that. Maps themselves do not work online(only automapping...). Stefan please fix this?

Ohhhh maps don't work online? Alright then, offline was easy but I can't find a way to get it to work online besides automapping.

DustyPorViva
05-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Gotta script your own... it's not that hard, but I guess it's not simple if you're not a scripter.
I may rescript the default one for public use.

UnforgottenRealms
05-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Gotta script your own... it's not that hard, but I guess it's not simple if you're not a scripter.
I may rescript the default one for public use.

I'm starting to honestly think that I might almost prefer the automap one but if you do that would be awesome. A lot of this stuff simply seems to be trial and error for the most part which isn't bad but it's time consuming.

DustyPorViva
05-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Automap only works though if the player has it disabled... that means you either have automap or you have no map. I personally don't like automapping.

zokemon
05-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Reputation is always nice for people that help you out. :)

Admins
05-12-2008, 07:27 PM
1. My levels are looping online using a gmap, by this I mean if I shoot a bow or drop a bomb, the arrow will hit the edge of one level and go back on it. Is there a way around this or do you just design levels for it?

"Looping" gmaps is not really supported, if you mean putting the same level several times in the same map.

zokemon
05-12-2008, 07:30 PM
"Looping" gmaps is not really supported, if you mean putting the same level several times in the same map.

He means the gmap is "looping" in the sense of the arrows, not for actual visibility or player movement.