PDA

View Full Version : My minimap script

vigilant_death2
02-27-2008, 12:33 AM
Just wondering what everyones opinion on this minimap is?
Rather then using images it makes an image from the tiles in the level so there is no need for updating :D

If you want to see it in it's live form just log into Dark Diamond though
keep in mind we have started fresh and have many temporary systems setup for now!

The arrow you see is also a preview of what will guide you to your quest targets
or other useful POI... Any suggestions or things you would like to see on it?

(image quality lowered to reduce filesize)

Chompy
02-27-2008, 12:38 AM
Wee, I'm in the pic :D (my nick is ^^)

Anyways, I really like that, loading tiles in the level instead of taking screenies etc :o

Knightmare1
02-27-2008, 12:39 AM
coool. why would you post this here though?

vigilant_death2
02-27-2008, 12:43 AM
I am asking for suggestions for it!
(also opinions count as suggestions as they could lead to changes being made)

cbk1994
02-27-2008, 03:26 AM
Post the script please :)

DustyPorViva
02-27-2008, 03:37 AM
Hmm, so you're showing individual images for each tile? I'm guessing that will be a bit sluggish?

napo_p2p
02-27-2008, 04:00 AM
Hmm, so you're showing individual images for each tile? I'm guessing that will be a bit sluggish?
Using 4096 images for one little map does seem to be a bit sluggish. I'm sure there's a way to disable the minimap though.

vigilant_death2
02-27-2008, 04:28 AM
It isn't using 4096 images though it does use a GuiDrawingPanel which draws at a limited rate (as you'll see if you go look at it) then turns it into a png file :p

Stefan says saveimage is messed up right now so I cannot yet script it to load the files the player already has...

But in the end it will render the map, save to a png, then load from that point on until it needs to update again!

DustyPorViva
02-27-2008, 05:03 AM
Ya, I noticed when I got on to check... I hadn't a clue there was even a saveimage. Cool script, but I think the loading is a bit much for just a map.

Have you thought of loading the level file itself and taking the text from that and making an image?

vigilant_death2
02-27-2008, 05:07 AM
Yes, but even so you still have to get the positions in the tileset image to draw it!

DustyPorViva
02-27-2008, 05:20 AM
Hmm, I guess so.
I dunno, the idea is firm, but it doesn't seem practical(CPU-usage wise) for something to be released.
I doubt this will even work on anything other than a single level, no?

Inverness
02-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Just have a staff person generate the images ahead of time then have a folder on the server where the clients download. This is if saveimage() gets fixed, which I would really like.

Chompy
02-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Hmm, you said the images was saved to scriptfiles/ in the players script files folder.. why not just upload those images to the server? Make a staff go around all levels once in a while and upload?

Frankie
02-29-2008, 01:08 AM
Pretty neat system, I logged on and checked it out myself.
Although like you said, the load time is a bit slow, it still works flawlessly.