PDA

View Full Version : Passwords and Accounts.

Knightmare1
01-25-2008, 02:37 AM
why cant you choose your password and account? i mean, if i lose access to my email account, then im screwed. and come on! i hate the freaking Graal##### accounts, its just freaking horrible. i hate hiring someone then having to do the Graal###### thing everywhere. you could atleast give people their own account name.

cbk1994
01-25-2008, 02:39 AM
Agree with the account name, agree with the passwords.

Neither will happen.

Twinny
01-25-2008, 03:13 AM
Can you add people to RC via their community name?

cbk1994
01-25-2008, 03:16 AM

No

MysticX2X
01-25-2008, 05:05 AM
Ya you can with their community name to server ops but with rights their Graal###### account.

napo_p2p
01-25-2008, 06:05 AM

The Graal##### account actually stops working once a community name is set (as of the last time I checked). Kind of weird.

Rescate
01-25-2008, 06:27 AM
why cant you choose your password and account? i mean, if i lose access to my email account, then im screwed. and come on! i hate the freaking Graal##### accounts, its just freaking horrible. i hate hiring someone then having to do the Graal###### thing everywhere. you could atleast give people their own account name.

I agree with acct names

But with the passwords i like :)
I believe they put the passwords to probably stop sharing even though that doesnt work it still goes on quite frequently

ViperZakuto
01-25-2008, 06:03 PM
the password will stray the same, because they are safe and case sensative. If you let people choose there own password... then it would make stealing peoples accounts much easier. people usually don't set very secure passwords.

DustyPorViva
01-25-2008, 06:45 PM
the password will stray the same, because they are safe and case sensative. If you let people choose there own password... then it would make stealing peoples accounts much easier. people usually don't set very secure passwords.
I always find this logic funny.
I hardly see ANY other services ever force a password upon you. If it was as safe and secure as it's being led to be, why wouldn't more services adopt the auto-generated passwords? That's because they don't really have that much of an advantage. I'd just like to say, throughout my time here at Graal, even with their auto-generated 'safe' passwords, I have never seen so many passwords being stolen as I have here. I don't think it happens much anymore, but passwords being stolen was always a problem at the dawn of P2P(and before). It was the worse I had ever seen, and the passwords were auto-generated(the same way) back then.

ViperZakuto
01-25-2008, 07:00 PM
I always find this logic funny.
I hardly see ANY other services ever force a password upon you. If it was as safe and secure as it's being led to be, why wouldn't more services adopt the auto-generated passwords? That's because they don't really have that much of an advantage. I'd just like to say, throughout my time here at Graal, even with their auto-generated 'safe' passwords, I have never seen so many passwords being stolen as I have here. I don't think it happens much anymore, but passwords being stolen was always a problem at the dawn of P2P(and before). It was the worse I had ever seen, and the passwords were auto-generated(the same way) back then.

i see more accounts being stolen on an game with the initials RS, and other MMORPG's where you choose a password. People use brute force, and since people like to set simple passwords. It's not that hard to take there account.

The accounts getting stolen back then... probably had to do with the security of where the passwords were stored... not what the passwords actually were.

Crow
01-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Not so much passwords being cracked on WoW for example probably has something to do with the fact that nobody but you and Blizzard know your account name.

DustyPorViva
01-25-2008, 07:11 PM
There were a few database hacks back then, but most passwords were stolen by the typical methods.

Tigairius
01-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Definitely account names, but passwords.. I think I like the auto-generated passwords so people don't use stupid, obvious passwords like, "password" or "buster" (typical pet name)

cbk1994
01-25-2008, 11:01 PM
I would never use my email password for Graal.

Graal has been hacked so many times it isn't funny. And I'm sure they're still using industry-(sub)standard MD5 encryption :rolleyes:

TheFisherman
01-26-2008, 12:02 AM
Why was the whole Graal#### account's made?
It's kind of annoying, when you make a Community Name, you still have to login with your email or the Graal### account.

Knightmare1
01-26-2008, 12:57 AM
im gonna say somthing:
instead of having your own password, just at least respond to the support center. because, i made a freaking ticket about my old account and how i forgot which email i used, but no one has said a thing.

and accounts:
let them choose. there isnt any reason for the Graal### accounts.

cbk1994
01-26-2008, 02:46 AM
Why was the whole Graal#### account's made?
It's kind of annoying, when you make a Community Name, you still have to login with your email or the Graal### account.

I have no idea what possesed them to do Graal#####

It's just a mess. Was much better. I can remember an account like TheFisherman better than I can remember Graal241242

ViperZakuto
01-26-2008, 08:28 AM
I have no idea what possesed them to do Graal#####

It's just a mess. Was much better. I can remember an account like TheFisherman better than I can remember Graal241242

it's another reason for trials to upgrade. If they upgrade, they get to set there community name, which appears as your account name in you profile, in messages, and on the forums.

zokemon
01-26-2008, 10:09 AM
It's so that the stupid trials stop taking all the good account names.

The random passwords is good too. On other services, you have to enter your password many times but on Graal, I never have to enter my password except when I'm accessing the forums from another computer or when the wiki occasionally logs me out. I also would need it if I reformatted or so but that's such a rare thing.

cbk1994
01-26-2008, 05:37 PM
I like the idea of trials not taking good names, but when they upgrade let them have an actual account name, the community names just make things more complicated. Now I can take up two names instead of one! An account, and a community name! :)

Knightmare1
01-28-2008, 11:21 PM
well , Chris, thats a good idea. instead of letting them choose community names, let them choose an account name.

cbk1994
01-29-2008, 12:13 AM
well , Chris, thats a good idea.

That's right. Fall for my trap ... *mysteriously fades into the background*