PDA

View Full Version : Server Restart Command

Admins
01-14-2008, 08:45 PM
We have added a new command for server owners to restart their server:

/global servercontrol restart
(you can also do /global help)

This is similar to the old website admin panel. It only works for server owners, and only for developer servers (not classic and gold).

Skyld
01-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Sidenote: If you are having trouble using servercontrol restart or you need a gold/classic server restarted, you can contact myself or Bell.

Tigairius
01-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Thanks! I'm glad this finally got implemented.

Chompy
01-15-2008, 12:24 AM
Nice feature :)

Switch
01-15-2008, 12:28 AM
Yess
What's it do restart the GServer? If so does that like completely erase it or something? Never tried or found out..

Skyld
01-15-2008, 12:41 AM
Yess
What's it do restart the GServer? If so does that like completely erase it or something? Never tried or found out..
It will shut down the NPC-Server and GServer, and then start them again. It won't delete anything.

You maybe ought to /savenpcs first though (since I'm not sure if it'll do that itself).

Twinny
01-15-2008, 12:43 AM
Yess

You can already 'restart' the GServer by killing the process then calling it again (/npckill and /npcstart). Chance you can lose active dbnpcs doing this so you should do a /savenpcs first just to make sure. Should only kill the Gserver when it is completed locked up. Good way to test this: use /stats and see if the "Top 20 of npcs taken most CPU time:" shows up. If it does, see if any of the processes are way to high and solve is needed. If not, cycle the gserver ^^

Skyld
01-15-2008, 12:44 AM
It will restart the whole server. You can already 'restart' the GServer by killing the process then calling it again (/npckill and /npcstart). You can lose active dbnpcs doing this so you should do a /savenpcs first.
You are probably safer using /npcshutdown to make sure that script executions are cleanly ended, /npckill is a bit more of an extreme measure.

Switch
01-15-2008, 12:47 AM
ah k, thanks.

Twinny
01-15-2008, 12:51 AM
You are probably safer using /npcshutdown to make sure that script executions are cleanly ended, /npckill is a bit more of an extreme measure.

Sucks that only the owner can do it though. Maybe if the admin/globals can add authorised people? Would suck if development had to be stalled until a a global/owner can be notified of the problem :(

Tigairius
01-15-2008, 01:38 AM
Sucks that only the owner can do it though. Maybe if the admin/globals can add authorised people? Would suck if development had to be stalled until a a global/owner can be notified of the problem :(

I think you're asking for too much :(

Inverness
01-15-2008, 06:28 AM
Twinny it sounds to me like you're confusing the GServer and the NPC-Server?

Twinny
01-15-2008, 07:46 AM
Twinny it sounds to me like you're confusing the GServer and the NPC-Server?

Yeah, you're definitely right there ^^

Admins
01-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Restarting the gserver is normally only needed when there is some problem when updating / resizing a gmap, to make sure the old levels are unloaded.

Pimmeh
01-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Yeah, Gmap problems do get fixed with this!
I had a problem about a week ago, thanks a lot Stefan!

DustyPorViva
01-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Hmm, I uploaded a gmap that was just regular levels(not terrain), but when I warp to the gmap, everything is screwed up and it's being considered a terrain... is that the same problem?

bscharff
01-19-2008, 01:38 AM
Maybe allow anyone with the "change staff accounts" RC right to use this command? (Since it has no other use that I am aware of)

Inverness
01-19-2008, 02:32 AM
No, only the owner needs to have such abilities, not anyone he foolishly gives full rights to.

Crow
01-19-2008, 01:11 PM
No, only the owner needs to have such abilities, not anyone he foolishly gives full rights to.

100 percent agree. (friggin fix the bad request error with percent symbols already D:)

Skyld
01-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Maybe allow anyone with the "change staff accounts" RC right to use this command? (Since it has no other use that I am aware of)
It is something that does not really have any use for non-global staff anymore.