PDA

View Full Version : extreme lag

Personal Jesus
11-02-2007, 08:30 PM
over the past few days Era and other classic servers have been experiencing extreme lag at random.

any answers?

Crow
11-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Yea, there were several, pretty evil lag spikes :o

Bell
11-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Stefan told Ibonic that Zodiac and UN seem to be using a large amount of resources and he's going to check it this next week.

Crow
11-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Unholy Nation is not on the same machine as Era. But Zodiac is...pff.

Admins
11-03-2007, 02:44 AM
We have optimized Zodiac a little bit, should be better now.

Crow
11-03-2007, 11:54 AM
We have optimized Zodiac a little bit, should be better now.

You optimized it?! I wonder what the hell they did to cause those horrible lagspikes.

Twinny
11-03-2007, 01:28 PM
You optimized it?! I wonder what the hell they did to cause those horrible lagspikes.

Novo did quite an optimization when I was working there but it has always been laggy. Unless the team recently made some awful changes, I'd say the optimizations just improved what has always been there.

You said we, Stefan. Who else helped you?

Crow
11-03-2007, 02:04 PM
I'd say the optimizations just improved what has always been there.

If it was Zodiac, it didnt lag the other playerworlds on its machine so badly...

Admins
11-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Optimization in terms of reducing the memory usage. Each player had hundreds of clientr.muditem_ flags, the original scripters probably thought those are deleted at logout, but they are not, it's clientr.mud_. So those flags required a huge amount of memory on server-side and also made login slower. Also there were two dbnpcs with a huge amount of variables which were not used anyway but it was adding more and more.

I cannot blame the scripters, but if each server would take >500 MByte memory then there is not enough memory on the machine. There should eventually be some tools to measure the memory usage of npcs, players and levels.

Crow
11-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Optimization in terms of reducing the memory usage. Each player had hundreds of clientr.muditem_ flags, the original scripters probably thought those are deleted at logout, but they are not, it's clientr.mud_. So those flags required a huge amount of memory on server-side and also made login slower. Also there were two dbnpcs with a huge amount of variables which were not used anyway but it was adding more and more.

I cannot blame the scripters, but if each server would take >500 MByte memory then there is not enough memory on the machine. There should eventually be some tools to measure the memory usage of npcs, players and levels.

I think it would be better to put all the not-so-much-memory-eating playerworlds onto one of the better machines you mentioned somewhere, and only put one or two memory-eating playerworlds on the other ones. If you got enough...

Twinny
11-03-2007, 04:15 PM

Did you rewrite the system (I sure hope so) or just remove unnecessary flags? I know the second lot of item flags are just descriptions of items and as such are unnecessary. It's an awful system. Instead of the current method, could just store them clientside in a temporary space: retrieve only what you need when you need. Depends on what you did though ^^.

There should eventually be some tools to measure the memory usage of npcs, players and levels.

/memstats :D

Admins
11-03-2007, 06:44 PM
The systems are actually quite intelligent, those flags are sent when needed, but they were not deleted if not needed.

Twinny
11-03-2007, 07:12 PM
The systems are actually quite intelligent

Zodiac systems....intelligent!? I will not....I cannot accept this x_x. The amount of patchwork needed was horrendous. The whole 'lol clientside weapon/stat system' was awful enough....