PDA

View Full Version : "Balancing" a game...

Ziro_of_the_Turks
11-02-2007, 03:17 AM
Once, a very long time ago,

There existed people who knew a great magic. They were even able to use this magic to bring death just as well as prevent it. Soon, the people came to call this magic "Alchemy". The lands flourished with great weapons, armour, and very, many colorful items people would collect and trade. It was a time of great prosperity. One day, a great god of the people decided to destroy the great magic known as Alchemy. People would continue their ways and quickly come to notice their spells would no longer work before they had realized the god had remove the essence of such magic from their world. As everyone had realized what had happened, they instantly held close to them the great weapons, armour, and various possessions they had gained through alchemy. They knew they were blessed by the gods and would soon profit.

As time progressed, so too did the technology of the world. It is said that great Zormite engineering along with Dustarian magic had lead to the development of an "Ice Blade". Some were even able to create a stronger form of this weapon. Blacksmiths throughout the world would build and quickly sell these weapons. Creation of this weapon was possible only through obtaining an ice "crystal" which could only be found in the icy mountains. Almost any adventurer was able to have this weapon built, but before they would realize it, the crystals would soon be depleted. After this, the weapons only continued to increase in value. People would pay great amounts simply to have one of these daggers. Those who had built and kept any from before would now be in great luck.

Many years later, the god had returned the gift of alchemy to the people. The people rejoiced but were quickly dissapointed to realize their powers were now limited. First and foremost, they could not create things as powerful as before. Any remainings of their previous magic would still remain as valuable. The god had only partially returned their magic, but not completely.

Now the story has to end. Things are too confusing for those who do not keep up very much. (Also I realized there are far too many things for me to continue writing about such as the time when it was possible to alchemize plat into gold and sell it for more plat... and other exp bug abuses i never knew much about)

Now Ice Daggers are a free halloween item? But not Flaming Ice Daggers?
Now old alchemy items can be made, but not quite as good as original ones- or some are as good, some aren't, some(most?) can't be created at all?

Also, the main point of the story is that things which were done to "balance" the game actually created imbalance: It lets people who were at the right place at the right time benefit greatly.

Sheen_the_mage
11-02-2007, 03:28 AM
Once....

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Ice Daggers are weak pieces of **** with only 5 atk.
They are the same as a sai.
Whats imbalance????
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
A weak item shouldent be *insert hundreds of dia's here* anyways.

Googi
11-02-2007, 04:58 AM
Now Ice Daggers are a free halloween item? But not Flaming Ice Daggers?

ID > FID. The probability of dealing ice damage is higher on ID than it is on FID.

kia345
11-02-2007, 12:17 PM
You can't "balance" a game with items and levels. People are always going to complain about items. Don't cry because something has being released for a few weeks before it goes back to the vault.

Ravenblade1979
11-02-2007, 03:43 PM
People like to whine..makes them get higher post count and feel important.

cyan3
11-02-2007, 04:36 PM
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Whats imbalance????

Same as Sai? I didin't know Sai had cold damage.

Crimson2005
11-02-2007, 05:13 PM
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Whats imbalance????
thicko

Crow
11-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Ice Dagger rawks.

Crono
11-02-2007, 05:37 PM
You can't "balance" a game with items and levels.

Yeah you can...

-waves-

Ziro_of_the_Turks
11-02-2007, 10:43 PM

Yes, because someone who only has 164 posts, but has been a forum member since 2001 and lurker since the beginning, is an inactive member of the game itself, and starts a thread in the wrong forum OBVIOUSLY is a candidate for a post-counting spammer who cares what people think of his "importance".

Troll more. Please.

kia345
11-02-2007, 10:55 PM
Yeah you can...

How? People will always find a way to make it unfair. The second someone becomes good at the game it becomes unbalanced.

Crono
11-02-2007, 11:02 PM
How? People will always find a way to make it unfair. The second someone becomes good at the game it becomes unbalanced.

You can try to close the gap. For example what if I make a server with two classes: Warrior and Brute. Both have 50 attack. After a year I go ok brutes will now have 10 attack.

Can I not make it LESS unbalanced by giving brutes 49 attack or even 50 (to make them even)?

kia345
11-02-2007, 11:20 PM
People would still find it unbalanced. The 'Brutes', when they get their 50 attack back, will begin complaining that they could've been better than the 'warriors' sooner had they not been dropped down, and the warriors would be upset that they had worked so hard to get awesome with that 50 attack, and now the brutes have been thrown up there.

You're not going to ever get completely fair on a game. Ever. There's always handicap if there's a difference among players.

Crono
11-02-2007, 11:27 PM
People would still find it unbalanced. The 'Brutes', when they get their 50 attack back, will begin complaining that they could've been better than the 'warriors' sooner had they not been dropped down, and the warriors would be upset that they had worked so hard to get awesome with that 50 attack, and now the brutes have been thrown up there.

They were fair from the beginning, then became unbalanced when the warriors were stronger. In my little world theres no "work" to be done, its just a turn based back and forth battle. 8]

You're not going to ever get completely fair on a game. Ever. There's always handicap if there's a difference among players.

I know this, but you can't just go OK EVERY MAGE ON THIS SERVER GETS A 1 HIT K.O MOVE LOL HAVE FUN.