PDA

View Full Version : Zodiac: Changes

xXziroXx
09-27-2007, 05:57 PM
I just want to get a better understanding on what you guys would preferr being worked at first, just out of pure interest.

New stuff added.
Secure the systems and make them less laggy.
Updated graphics.
Screw Zodiac, remake everything!

This poll will NOT change our prioritys, but we're curious to see what you guys would chose if you could. Please, if you dont care - dont vote. Also keep this topic clean, or dont bother posting. Thanks!

ChrizP2P
09-27-2007, 06:18 PM
new stuff plz

Rufus
09-27-2007, 07:04 PM
To be quite fair, little to no players of Zodiac post on these forums, so asking a question like this on here is kind of redundant. If you're posting to gain new players, or possibly investigate why people don't like the server then fair enough. There is something about the poll options however, that really doesn't give much indication at all.

New stuff added.
Yeah, I'm sure the players would love some new "stuff" to be added, but what exactly? Another new dungeon? A few mediocre skills perhaps?

Secure the systems and make them less laggy.
Apparently this is already "done" or "nearly done" or the latest, "being worked on." Fact is, it should have been done months ago now.

Updated graphics.
After logging on and seeing Zero as a dinosaur, I'm not quite sure if it's even worth updating the graphics, saying as apparently no one has a keen eye for good graphics on the server.

Screw Zodiac, remake everything!
I don't even understand this option, perhaps it's supposed to be comical, but whatever.

What I think most players want to see is short term development, as well as long term with small releases. Keep the regulars happy while you're developing your long term remake (yeah remake, because that's what the server needs in terms of graphics and gameplay) and all will be fine.

Bell
09-27-2007, 07:27 PM
I have just this to say. Change doesn't come instantly and flaming people doesn't help matters. All it does is get the sheep to join some mythical bandwagon and start internal bickering which kills a server even more. Contrary to popular belief, I do personally keep updated on what is going on with Zodiac. If people contact a staff member about a problem, the problem is handled. If it isn't taken care of they seem to have no problem putting in a support ticket complaint about it and I check into it myself.

No server will ever have everyone happy with changes or additions made, there will always be people that like or don't like specific graphics, levels or quests. My first priority was securing scripts and getting glitches fixed. Ziro and Selflon did an amazing job at getting that handled in a timely manner.

Input was then taken by players as to what they would like to see. Its all been documented and saved. Some of it is useable, some isn't. Due to zodiacs massive lag problems its also necessary to rescript the server to a more efficient manner. Its in progress but by no means the only priority. Staff have been hired to do additional work locally. Graphics seems to be the biggest issue which no two people can agree on. OMG, MAKE THIS LOOK BETTER. OH YES, THATS GREAT. OMG, THAT SUX, PUT THE OLD ONE BACK.

Ziro has asked for input on the other thread since Rufus feels he's difficult to contact. Those players with the ability to vote and express their feelings as to what they would like to see should do so. However, not everyone can so feel free to tell those people that seem to have such a huge problem with nobody listening to contact me. I will make sure their specific complaints or suggestions are passed on. Be specific however, not 'I've finished leveling, give me something else to do.

Novo
09-27-2007, 08:16 PM
As a former admin from Zodiac, I feel that this choice is quite obvious.

Adding new stuff while maintaining the integrity of the game. Remaking the game would be optimal ( the scripts there are quite inefficient and fixing a single problem may cause numerous hours of debugging ) but not in the traditional fashion. What I mean is: Fix it modular-wise. Keep Zodiac up and pretty but optimize, refactor, and fix the code while you're adding new stuff. If this mentality is kept up then the scripts will ( eventually ) be easily understood.

I personally find that documenting the server would be the best mechanism to go around. I had started doing that with my trac site... But it was far from complete. Perhaps doing something of that sort to optimize the production value as well as the refactoring process?

zokemon
09-27-2007, 08:58 PM
As a former admin from Zodiac, I feel that this choice is quite obvious.

Adding new stuff while maintaining the integrity of the game. Remaking the game would be optimal ( the scripts there are quite inefficient and fixing a single problem may cause numerous hours of debugging ) but not in the traditional fashion. What I mean is: Fix it modular-wise. Keep Zodiac up and pretty but optimize, refactor, and fix the code while you're adding new stuff. If this mentality is kept up then the scripts will ( eventually ) be easily understood.

I personally find that documenting the server would be the best mechanism to go around. I had started doing that with my trac site... But it was far from complete. Perhaps doing something of that sort to optimize the production value as well as the refactoring process?

Our rescripting project is planned such that it won't require anything to be reset when implemented to the main server even though we have pretty much started from scratch. You have to agree Novo that the scripts on Zodiac are just pure ugly.

SayianOozaru
09-27-2007, 10:44 PM
Updated graphics.
After logging on and seeing Zero as a dinosaur, I'm not quite sure if it's even worth updating the graphics, saying as apparently no one has a keen eye for good graphics on the server.
Wait til they upload some of mine ;)

I work there now, instead of Zone/Graal Kingdoms.

Rufus
09-27-2007, 11:38 PM
Wait til they upload some of mine ;)

I work there now, instead of Zone/Graal Kingdoms.

Am I supposed to be impressed now?