PDA

View Full Version : Most annoying Graal bug?

Crow
09-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Well, maybe. Its possible you dont care as much about it as I do. But it's been like that since v4 was out. I already posted a thread back then, nothing fixed til now. This is going to be a really long explanation...

Ok, let's start. I wont explain the exact problem yet, because that might just confuse you. Here you got an image, taken from and used on Esteria:

Just a basic image, used to display the location name in form of text inside. A simple box, seriously, nothing special. Well, it has transparency set, thats actually causing the problem in some way. Will explain that later.

Next picture. A screenshot taken on Esteria, in my testlevel. The box is added, and a test text is shown inside. "Test 123", nothing special. But take a closer look, especially at the boxes outline:

See what I mean? You might, you might not. Here it is, zoomed at x4:

You now probably see what I mean. Some outlines are missing. The reason? I have no idea. I got some information though. As you can probably see, its the outlines over and left to the box. If theres some outlining stuff there, it will be removed.
Need more information? Well, it only happens if an alpha is set on the image (it has a fade-in and fade-out effect on Esteria). And if that applies, only if transparency is set in the image itself. So mode 0 images are no problem, you can just use a black background. But I'm using mode 1 here, because I dont want it to be displayed as a lighteffect. When it's happening? Always. But also kinda random. Because with this image, it didnt happen first. It worked perfectly. And then, out of nowhere, the bug popped up again.

No errors whatsoever are displayed in the F2 log, still, it's bugged. And seriously, it's annoying. I demand this to be fixed. Thank you for reading this.

Btw, the images are thumbnails. Gotta click on them for full view

Chompy
09-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Yeah, this was the problem when I scripted them..
There is nothing wrong with the scripts, it's the images themself (how graal handles them)..

Was kinda annoying back then tho..

Please fix this?

Crow
09-11-2007, 08:31 PM
I had it several times chompy ;P Not only when you did the script, I also had it with mine back then. Glad you answered here.

Admins
09-11-2007, 08:35 PM
What do you mean with "if transparency is set in the image itself"? The image1.png you have posted first should normally work fine

Crow
09-11-2007, 08:39 PM
If you use for example Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop or something similar to set transparency to the image. If you dont, so for example the image appears with a light green background in Graal, it would work perfectly.

Edit: Problem is, if you got an image, and transparency is set as described above, and you modify it with a script (either alpha, zoom, probably also rotate or anything else) then parts of the outline are removed. What I first thought when I saw this bug was that Graal would create alpha maps for the images on the fly and that the alpha map would be off one pixel to the right and one pixel to the bottom, so practically over the image (where it shouldnt be transparent).

DustyPorViva
09-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Ya, setting transparency to images in Graal offsets it by a pixel. Very, very annoying and it's been around since transparency has been put in.

Crow
09-11-2007, 09:06 PM
Ya, setting transparency to images in Graal offsets it by a pixel. Very, very annoying and it's been around since transparency has been put in.

I'm sure it's since v4. It worked pretty good with v2 as far as I remember...

Admins
09-11-2007, 09:21 PM
I have no idea what you are speaking of really and have not experienced such kind of stuff, may be its graphics card related? Is there any place where I could test it ?

Crow
09-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Log onto Esteria. The boxes are also used in the start level. I can prepare a test level for you, so you can compare, if you want.

Edit: Nevermind, thats too complicated. Heres an image. At the bottom, the way it should look like, at the top, the way it looks like.

DustyPorViva
09-11-2007, 09:39 PM
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/5696/clipping1yv0.gif
Of course, this effect varies from image size and different things I can't replicate. But either way it's always a similar effect. This has also happened on every graphics card I've used before. It seems what it's doing is taking a part of the image and moving it left and/or right a pixel. So it seems the smaller the image, the closer it gets to the opposite side, causing it to clip like Crow posts.
It doesn't seem like it's entirely the same thing, but it seems like one in the same problem.

TalonShriner
09-11-2007, 11:39 PM
I have actually noticed that if you use pure white or pure black, it seems to mess up the transparency. Try changing the border to a really dark gray.

zokemon
09-12-2007, 01:31 AM
I have actually noticed that if you use pure white or pure black, it seems to mess up the transparency. Try changing the border to a really dark gray.

Pure Black automatically turns transparent in Graal. That's not a bug.

Crow
09-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Exactly zero.

Talon, if you would actually have studied the image I posted, you would've seen that its not black.

Crow
09-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Sorry for another rude double spam post (postcount++, yay), but...

BUMP!

I know, its just been like a day, but I want it to be fixed this time.

Admins
09-13-2007, 05:07 PM
It is not really a simple thing, will probably not fixed with the next version.

Crow
09-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Take your time Stefan. I just want to see it fixed. Doesnt really matter when. Well, in the next few versions would be nice I guess ;P

Admins
09-15-2007, 12:44 AM
May be its a problem of the "anti-aliasing" for full pictures, could be interesting to see if there is the same effect when only drawing a part of an image alpha-blended

Crow
09-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Theres also some other small bug with some images, also happens when the image has transparency. Happen for example on Era, at the "North Gas Station". The windows are kinda bugged and look pretty weird when you move, but when they are on the top of you Graal window (so when you walk down a bit until they almost disappear) they look ok.

Edit: Here are two screenshots of the problem.

42809 42810

Edit2: And a video ;P

Admins
09-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Well you tried the thing with displaying only part of the image to see if it's fixing the problem?

Crow
09-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Not yet, will do that.

Edit: That seems to fix it..

Admins
09-15-2007, 12:47 PM
Hmmm so may be it should disable that anti-aliasing/smoothing when an image is drawn non-stretched

Crow
09-15-2007, 01:57 PM
If that would fix it, yes it should ;P Should do that anyways, because adding that if the image has its normal shape is useless.