PDA

View Full Version : Mac Level Editor

warp2ukew
08-25-2007, 12:34 AM
Please create a Mac Level Editor already, this is getting RIDICULOUS.

UberModeKappa
08-25-2007, 01:50 AM

I predict Graal 3D releasing before any Mac level editor comes to fruition.

Crono
08-25-2007, 02:08 AM

You had Windows before didn't you?

Sam
08-25-2007, 12:01 PM
FYI:
I've already said that we don't plan to make an Intel Mac version right now.

Chompy
08-25-2007, 12:22 PM
FYI:

But wasn't that for a Intel-Mac client?
(*points at Chris' intel-mac thread*)

Crow
08-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Intel Mac version of the client, yea. Level editor shouldnt be too hard. You could make your levels with a simple text editor until someones making one for Mac :p

ReBorn_Spirit
08-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Or if you were really crazy about it, you might find your self a mac program to emulate linux or windows and use the editors in there.

Or you might just get a windows based PC to begin with. Heh even a junk curb found PC could editor levels for you on GK, or a remote desktop. Or even if someone at "Linux cyberjoueurs" make a simple website of some type to edit graal levels.

Crow
08-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Editing levels based on a script on a website would be a pain in the ass I think. I would prefer text over that, haha.

ReBorn_Spirit
08-25-2007, 02:44 PM
Editing levels based on a script on a website would be a pain in the ass I think. I would prefer text over that, haha.

Ever make a level look nice by staring at a bunch of numbers and letter?? ehh not really.. Graal should be modular with all of its tools. A simple multi-OS host program could just load up each module that can be easily upgraded for all the various versions without making more then 1 version of it. This would fix all of your heartaches. You could even add in security features then to your "host" program loading the various modules, like CRC or MD5 file checksum values sent from your servers or whatever. You get the idea I hope..

Skyld
08-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Ever make a level look nice by staring at a bunch of numbers and letter?? ehh not really.. Graal should be modular with all of its tools. A simple multi-OS host program could just load up each module that can be easily upgraded for all the various versions without making more then 1 version of it. This would fix all of your heartaches. You could even add in security features then to your "host" program loading the various modules, like CRC or MD5 file checksum values sent from your servers or whatever. You get the idea I hope..
Or they could just write the level editor in Java.

ReBorn_Spirit
08-25-2007, 03:28 PM
Or they could just write the level editor in Java.

I've found that java, is horrible for anything. Its really slow... But yes, you could write a "mac" version in Java and have a few less complaints. Just won't see me touching it any time soon. I'll archive my current one first...

UberModeKappa
08-25-2007, 06:40 PM
I've found that java, is horrible for anything. Its really slow... But yes, you could write a "mac" version in Java and have a few less complaints. Just won't see me touching it any time soon. I'll archive my current one first...

I've found that Java is only slow for people who run code that isn't optimized to run fast.

DustyPorViva
08-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Graal levels are pretty simple in nature, if I ever learn programming making an editor would probably be the first thing I try to tackle. Maybe others would do the same for linux/mac... but so far it doesn't seem it. I'm sure even a simple editor to edit tiles would be nice.

PrinceOfKenshin
08-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Hmm maybe next summer i can work on a level editor for mac using java

warp2ukew
08-26-2007, 02:07 AM
Maybe someone can make one now :(

ReBorn_Spirit
08-26-2007, 06:10 AM
I've found that Java is only slow for people who run code that isn't optimized to run fast.

Its not that its not optimized, its just slow in general.

Maybe someone can make one now :(

Asuming they let someone make one, its going to be awhile. In the mean time you should probably find some way to emulate the windows version.

xXziroXx
08-26-2007, 06:11 AM
Linux has "Wine" that emulates a windows system.

Surely there must be something similar for Mac that emulates a windows system?

PrinceOfKenshin
08-26-2007, 06:17 AM
I don't know i will see what i can come up with

Tracker180
08-26-2007, 07:01 AM
:( there's nothing that "emulates" a windows lvl editor that works on a non-intel mac

DustyPorViva
08-26-2007, 07:01 AM
Asuming they let someone make one, its going to be awhile. In the mean time you should probably find some way to emulate the windows version.
I don't think they can stop anyone from making a program to edit .nw's...
That's like saying Hex editors are illegal because they can edit stuff like roms.

ReBorn_Spirit
08-26-2007, 09:46 AM
I don't think they can stop anyone from making a program to edit .nw's...
That's like saying Hex editors are illegal because they can edit stuff like roms.

All NW & Graal level files are actually just text files.
Its how you have to edit the terrain heights on GK to get flat land.

Anyways, there was something to emulate a small windows or linux OS to run the editor.

Skyld
08-26-2007, 01:22 PM
Nah, Java isn't slow. Badly written code is slow.

Chompy
08-26-2007, 03:39 PM

.graal levels are impossible to read nor edit them

PrinceOfKenshin
08-26-2007, 05:25 PM

Anyways, there was something to emulate a small windows or linux OS to run the editor.

haha i feel sorry for the person that wants to make levels through text. If Graal Reborn has a level editor i'm pretty sure we can make a mac level editor

Horrified
08-26-2007, 06:04 PM
Nah, Java isn't slow. Badly written code is slow.

Java isn't fun.

What would be funny to see is some type of level editor in LOLCODE, if it's even possible...I mean I only remember how to do this:

HAI
CAN HAS STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD!"
KTHXBYE

for HAI WORLD.

DustyPorViva
08-26-2007, 07:14 PM

I know NW files are(as well as GANI's), which is why I said it'd be pretty simple to make an editor for them.

grawlgamer
08-26-2007, 08:17 PM
Doesn't mac come with a windows emulator now? Bootcamp?

ceserthen
08-26-2007, 08:21 PM
yeah, if you wanna spend the amount of money to buy a windows OS. Which is a lot of money just for the graal editor.

warp2ukew
08-26-2007, 09:12 PM
yeah, if you wanna spend the amount of money to buy a windows OS. Which is a lot of money just for the graal editor.

On top of that, you have to parition your HD with a minimum of 10GB.

DarkSparky
09-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Have you guys tryed CrossOver for mac?

Outlaw_P2P
09-30-2010, 03:12 AM
lmao you guys are funny.