PDA

View Full Version : Whats the point of server flags?

PrinceOfKenshin
08-18-2007, 06:10 AM
I don't see the point of them? Someone like to explain what to use it for. I mean you can use a npc to makeup for most of the flags

zokemon
08-18-2007, 07:53 AM
Old compatibility and because you don't need to understand how npcs work nor give NC for someone to edit them. Rather stupid in my opinion.

Horrified
08-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Old compatibility and because you don't need to understand how npcs work nor give NC for someone to edit them. Rather stupid in my opinion.

Wow, really? I expected a good reason...

Honestly the only person who should have rights to serverr. flags have NC anyway :P, not to mention that if you don't know how to open a DB and add to an array/change a variable, you really are brain dead.

zokemon
08-18-2007, 11:22 AM
Honestly the only person who should have rights to serverr. flags have NC anyway :P, not to mention that if you don't know how to open a DB and add to an array/change a variable, you really are brain dead.

Exactly.

Twinny
08-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Easy for people with RC to change plus serverr. s' are quite benneficial. Server.s' are pretty pointless but I don't think there was any other way in GS1.

Admins
08-18-2007, 12:27 PM
Yes serverr. variables can be read by clients so they can be used for configuration or used as global variables which can be accessed by any script.

zokemon
08-18-2007, 02:47 PM
I still find them rather stupid though.

Twinny
08-18-2007, 03:32 PM
I still find them rather stupid though.

How else can make a variable easily globally accessible to both serverside and clientside for any script?

Note: 'easily'

zokemon
08-18-2007, 03:47 PM
How else can make a variable easily globally accessible to both serverside and clientside for any script?

Note: 'easily'

I find it very easy to sync objects and variables serverside and clientside.

Crono
08-18-2007, 05:02 PM

NOT EVERYONE IS A SCRIPT WIZ LIKE YOU OK?

:cry:

Twinny
08-18-2007, 05:51 PM

Sync between certain objects but not between every single object in the game... Serverr. variables certainly have distinctive advantages: even if you do not see them.

Tigairius
08-18-2007, 05:54 PM
There have been some cases where I would die without the convenience of serverr flags.

coreys
08-18-2007, 11:44 PM
Reading a serverr variable clientside is easier than triggering to serverside to get the variable from a DB NPC and triggering back to clientside...=/

zokemon
08-19-2007, 01:32 AM
I guess... They also require that everyone loads them when they get updated (unneeded lag) and for something like a radio for example, you should only send the information to the players with it on. Even with my weather system on GK, I just sync the data, I don't use serverr. variables.

Inverness
08-19-2007, 05:03 AM
serverr. variables are integrated with the server so I'm sure they have a much more efficient method of syncing to clients than using triggers or something.

And stop acting like updating a few lines worth of text is going to explode your computer. The lag is certainly not noticeable for something so small. I'm sure its nothing compare to the information Graal is already sending to your client on a constant basis.

serverr flags are great in my opinion.

By the way, it would be nice if there was a prefix like servero. to read server options.

PrinceOfKenshin
08-19-2007, 05:26 AM
hmm servero. would be fun.

coreys
08-19-2007, 05:29 AM
Yeah, so you could check if the players guild is a staff guild :] Which isn't really totally necessary since you could just make a serverr array with that, or just put it into the NPC that would use it, but I suppose it could still be nice.

Inverness
08-19-2007, 05:41 AM
Yeah, so you could check if the players guild is a staff guild :] Which isn't really totally necessary since you could just make a serverr array with that, or just put it into the NPC that would use it, but I suppose it could still be nice.
Putting it in an NPC is too troublesome.

Besides, I want to make custom server options for scripting related things, so the non-scripting dudes can update things in a safer manner without exploding my script.

Twinny
08-19-2007, 07:02 AM
Stefan stated on Zodiac that one of the server updates included the ability to read the serverops file. Not sure if he stated this publicly.

coreys
08-19-2007, 07:49 PM
Stefan stated on Zodiac that one of the server updates included the ability to read the serverops file. Not sure if he stated this publicly.

Oh, awesome. :D

Switch
08-20-2007, 04:22 PM
On most servers with events, they have an NPC that changes the serverr. command for the server's event, making it so the whole server can see.

Without it, it'd only be visible by the person who changed it.

coreys
08-20-2007, 10:19 PM
On most servers with events, they have an NPC that changes the serverr. command for the server's event, making it so the whole server can see.

Well DB NPC vars can replace any serverr. flag, it's just a big pain in the ass to have to trigger to serverside and back to clientside a million times.

zokemon
08-20-2007, 10:25 PM

It's called syncing my man.

Inverness
08-22-2007, 11:15 AM
It's called syncing my man.
Dude, get over that. Manual syncing is slower than just about anything thats built-in to the server. Its may function but not with the same efficiency as a good ol' serverr variable.