PDA

View Full Version : GS2 sandbox / offline script editor

Butz
07-16-2007, 08:39 PM
I know this was sort of mentioned in the thread about z-values and a new editor, but I feel that it deserves mentioning in a new post. As of right now, the only real way to test a GS2 script out is to upload it to a server and see what happens. However, if this breaks something, and things need to be fixed, that takes time away from development that could continue in the meantime.

Why not create some sort of server emulation that can run on a local machine, so that scripts can be tested and developed locally, without the need to upload to the server? This way, bugs can be worked out BEFORE they're introduced to the live server, and people can develop and test their scripts without needing an internet connection.

Set up the server software so it only allows connections from localhost in case you're worried about people using it to run their own GServers.

OMGosh
07-17-2007, 06:27 AM
Amen to that. =]
Good thinking.
Way better for the 'people' too lazy to make an editor.
=]

Twinny
07-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Doubtful since I don't think they would like to give anyone a chance to decompile/reverse engineer and up-to-date NPC-Server/GServer.

coreys
07-17-2007, 11:17 PM
But if there was NPC-Server/GServer emulation we could let play Graal over LAN. ;(
Not that they would let us. ;-;

killerogue
07-18-2007, 01:12 AM
It's too much of a risk, anyone who has "good" coding skills outside of graal and reproduce/reverse engineer a gserver.

OMGosh
07-18-2007, 01:44 AM
But it's easier to just use the old gserver and make your own versions of them. Not that anybody knows how...just a guess. >.>