PDA

View Full Version : Tileheight and a new level editor

coreys
07-15-2007, 05:04 AM
Well me and Stan were talking about how tiles height (or z) could be implemented and I figured the only fool proof way Stefan could do it is to make a new level editor (if he isn't already) where you could indicate each individual tiles height (0 by default). Also the new level editor could have all the features that people have been asking for, like multiple tileset layer support, GS2 emulation, etc etc.

ReBorn_Spirit
07-15-2007, 05:25 AM
Well me and Stan were talking about how tiles height (or z) could be implemented and I figured the only fool proof way Stefan could do it is to make a new level editor (if he isn't already) where you could indicate each individual tiles height (0 by default). Also the new level editor could have all the features that people have been asking for, like multiple tileset layer support, GS2 emulation, etc etc.

GK has Z heights on the GMAP/levels, its rather common and easy to do allready. However new GS2 scripting command testing and help files in the editor would be nice. But thats about all I can really say...

Imperialistic
07-15-2007, 05:30 AM
wow this sounds cool

ReBorn_Spirit
07-15-2007, 05:37 AM
wow this sounds cool

If you play Graal Kingdoms for a bit you will notice the ground has these hills all over the place. I know its rather easy to change the Z points because I've done plenty of work on the Forest Kingdom island on Graal Kingdoms. The most known work of mine can allready be seen if you go into the Forest castle.

Imperialistic
07-15-2007, 05:43 AM
If you play Graal Kingdoms for a bit you will notice the ground has these hills all over the place. I know its rather easy to change the Z points because I've done plenty of work on the Forest Kingdom island on Graal Kingdoms. The most known work of mine can allready be seen if you go into the Forest castle.

cool, next time im on graal ill check it out... right now im on my psp

zokemon
07-15-2007, 05:46 AM
I think that's a horrible idea Vash, would probably be to laggy (well not to laggy but the extra load time would not be worth the reward) and add pointless stuff to load from the .nw files (you would now have more then just 2 characters per tile) and I'm sure almost no one would use this except the more innovative servers.

I've come up with probably the only way it would work practically as follows:
Since a TLevelObject has to be on showimg layer 1 and all TShowImgs have to have some sort of layer number (I'll only talk about 0 - 3 here since 4+ doesn't matter), then the tilelayers need a "displaylayer" variable which would be some number between -1 and 4.

0 through 3 would just display the layer much like a TShowImg with that layer, -1 would be the default of tilelayers and would display under all non-tile objects. 4 would just display it over everything no matter what (except other tilelayers on 4).

These layers could then be given the "z" variable. All tilelayers, TLevelObjects and TShowImgs (on a given displaylayer) would be displayed in this order:
- Anything objects gets displayed over anything that has a lower Z variable then it.
- For any object with the same Z:
* non-tilelayers get priority and display first.
* the tilelayer with the higher index would be displayed on top.

This method should make it exactly as it is now with only new featuers added (to avoid messing with any current things using tilelayers or z attributes).

Thoughts?

zokemon
07-15-2007, 05:48 AM
(Double posting as last post is completely separate from this one)

That is a little different and requires a gmap. Doing this won't really help you with tilelayers as I think all tiles on every layer would be effected by this z.

Lylic
07-15-2007, 09:46 AM
GS2 emulation

Ive wanted that since GS2 came out. I really wanted to get back into scripting without having to test stuff on servers and get yelled at when i make a mistake.
*cough* Invern *cough*:cry:

killerogue
07-15-2007, 02:19 PM
GK has Z heights on the GMAP/levels, its rather common and easy to do allready. However new GS2 scripting command testing and help files in the editor would be nice. But thats about all I can really say...

Out of curiosity, do you script? Most scripters that know a bit of something know that kingdoms map utilizes a z height. It's quite obvious. The thing we're pointing out is utilizing such on a flat plane gmap.

coreys
07-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Yeah, GK is a terrain map, completely different from the normal Graal style.

And Zero, I don't think it would be very laggy at all. I mean, that's like 1 extra character per tile to load. 64 extra characters would not take very long to load. That's not even 1 KB worth. It wouldn't even be noticeable. Now, depending on how it's done, it might 'cause some lag on gmaps, especially very large gmaps, but I know Stefan is smart enough to overcome that. ;)

zokemon
07-16-2007, 12:12 AM
Yeah, GK is a terrain map, completely different from the normal Graal style.

And Zero, I don't think it would be very laggy at all. I mean, that's like 1 extra character per tile to load. 64 extra characters would not take very long to load. That's not even 1 KB worth. It wouldn't even be noticeable. Now, depending on how it's done, it might 'cause some lag on gmaps, especially very large gmaps, but I know Stefan is smart enough to overcome that. ;)

It's still adding something that most won't use. Better to just add something that would only add this unnoticeable lag when it is used.

OMGosh
07-17-2007, 04:39 AM
Just give us a NEW EDITOR. I'll settle for basic things...

TalonShriner
07-17-2007, 05:36 AM
How about:
1) An easier way to set tilesets and make it so that ALL tilesets work
2) A redo button
3) Fixing the small glitch where if you switch between a gmaped level (with the loadmap script in effect) and an inside level, when you switch back to the gmap, you would not have to reload the gmap.

Layers with multiple tilesets would be beautiful as well. :)