PDA

View Full Version : New Delteria Beta is up!

Crono
07-07-2007, 08:53 AM
Today Delteria released a small city port thing which is part of a bigger island for the purpose of beta testing.

It's awesome. Check out the bigscreen in the spar room. ;)

Cloven
07-07-2007, 09:09 AM
We'll be working on a series of bug fixes, and content installment in incriments like this over the next few months. Expect daily and/or weekly updates, as systems and extras will be expanding.

Glad ya had fun just testing some of the core things out Crono. First priority is finishing up the sparring stuff.

Grey
07-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Looks nice, the palette used for the bricks bugs me but besides that the graphics are good.

I especially love that spar.

Thrashsoul3
07-07-2007, 09:26 AM
Its nothing new... threads months ago showed pictures of the city. There is nothing to do there.

zokemon
07-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Its nothing new... threads months ago showed pictures of the city. There is nothing to do there.

Because that thread totally had this city public, eh?

I would say them releasing it all on the main server is plenty "new", mister cynical.

Shakram
07-07-2007, 01:08 PM
i hope they do some new floor tiles :O

http://home.graffiti.net/chrischi4u/ss-014.gif

Pimmeh
07-07-2007, 02:54 PM
Rofl what is that game called?I reconise it...
Well the tiles look sexah so YEAH

Shakram
07-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Illusion of Time / Illusion of Gaia

Twinny
07-07-2007, 04:39 PM
I love the town...the layout is awesome!

Luda
07-07-2007, 07:24 PM
I love the spar scoreboard

Codein
07-07-2007, 07:34 PM
I love the fact the floor tiles are so coincidently similar to Illusion of Gaia.

XyphosMisery
07-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Spar arena is hot, stolen tiles or not.

Damn. I just rhymed.

Codein
07-07-2007, 07:39 PM
Spar arena is hot, stolen tiles or not.

Damn. I just rhymed.

Yeah...I have to admit...it's hot.

MKxTortoise
07-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Are you guys kidding with the stolen tiles stuff? I saw these being made and drawn.

Some guy was massing a website with the kaljun tiledefs around randomly. Oh yeah a random website! THAT PROVES EVERYTHING!!!!!

WanDaMan
07-07-2007, 09:44 PM
It's very very impressive, some of the best ever work upon Graal atm. I like it a lot!

The spar though; get's quite annoying having to jump in... It's a nice feature but annoying if you don't jump in first!

Cloven
07-07-2007, 09:57 PM
It's very very impressive, some of the best ever work upon Graal atm. I like it a lot!

The spar though; get's quite annoying having to jump in... It's a nice feature but annoying if you don't jump in first!

The jump-in thing will not exist shortly. The waiting list and remainder of the features will be added soon.

It's just easier to upload everything in groups, as it makes for easier debugging. :cool:

kenyonandelliot
07-07-2007, 10:03 PM
I like the looks of it, but spar arena blows.. I got hit by someone when I was sparring and the punk hit me before it even started..

WanDaMan
07-07-2007, 10:26 PM
A nice feature would be that when they hit the floor (die) it breaks and they fall down!

Crono
07-07-2007, 10:51 PM
A nice feature would be that when they hit the floor (die) it breaks and they fall down!

They do fall down when they die. :)

WanDaMan
07-07-2007, 10:55 PM
it should break tho haha itd be lagtastic y0 :D

Codein
07-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Are you guys kidding with the stolen tiles stuff? I saw these being made and drawn.

Some guy was massing a website with the kaljun tiledefs around randomly. Oh yeah a random website! THAT PROVES EVERYTHING!!!!!

I still love the fact that they strikingly similar to Illusion of Gaia >_>

Luda
07-08-2007, 12:51 AM
I still love the fact that they strikingly similar to Illusion of Gaia >_>

Which was made in 94 :asleep:

Crono
07-08-2007, 01:17 AM
i hope they do some new floor tiles :O

http://home.graffiti.net/chrischi4u/ss-014.gif

Busted.

Then again, you would know right Shakram?

kia345
07-08-2007, 01:26 AM
Because that floor design is one-of-kind and has never been used nor ever will.

Codein
07-08-2007, 01:37 AM
Because that floor design is one-of-kind and has never been used nor ever will.

Because they're extremely similar in terms of shape and size. The only thing that differs really is shading and colour :P The exact same floor design, near enough the same size and shape...come on.

Thrashsoul3
07-08-2007, 07:14 AM

You were on the Illusion of Gaia development team back in 94? Just admit that the tiles are stolen, I hate people who lie.

Shakram
07-08-2007, 12:54 PM
how i said let them do new floor tiles and all is ok :O
the outlines are copy paste only the color and shading changed

Crow
07-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Its not the same Angelu. It looks pretty similar, but its not the same. Though I think the graphics artist looked at the IoT/IoG sprites while making the floor ^^

Shakram
07-08-2007, 01:27 PM
the outlines are the same crow lol
and to copy paste outlines and give them a new shading has nothing to do with inspiration or something its stealing at all

http://home.graffiti.net/chrischi4u/outlines.png

zoom in and look at the outlines always the same
most of shading is the same too

Crow
07-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Check this one. They are not exactly the same, they were also modified a bit, thats all I wanted to say.

Shakram
07-08-2007, 01:50 PM
loool yeah next time i use copy paste SoM tiles too and change the color and turn out an outline then are mine too rofl idiotic post crow stealing is stealing if they changed something or not

zokemon
07-08-2007, 02:07 PM
loool yeah next time i use copy paste SoM tiles too and change the color and turn out an outline then are mine too rofl idiotic post crow stealing is stealing if they changed something or not

I didn't understand a thing you said...

Shakram
07-08-2007, 02:09 PM
they have a good tileset with good graphics why they steal floor tiles from iog/iot ??? its not really hard for them to do they own floor tiles

Codein
07-08-2007, 02:26 PM
;) I don't think this was the kind of release they had hoped for...

Cloven
07-08-2007, 04:55 PM

Not completely, though save for a few small-minded kids we've had overwhelming support. Many updates and fixes to come.

MKxTortoise
07-08-2007, 05:05 PM

If this was an ideal release we probably wouldn't have called it beta, huh?

It's better in the long-run to stress test everything we've coded (we've delagged the server by 43% or something already) and besides like Cloven said, people seem pretty happy.

Codein
07-08-2007, 05:23 PM
If this was an ideal release we probably wouldn't have called it beta, huh?

It's better in the long-run to stress test everything we've coded (we've delagged the server by 43% or something already) and besides like Cloven said, people seem pretty happy.

I guess this unintentionally tested the graphics as well. Someone was bound to point out the floor tiles :P

Crono
07-08-2007, 05:37 PM

To quote Shakram, THEY WERE PROBABLY "INSPIRED".

:p

Shakram
07-08-2007, 05:47 PM
they can have a floor like this but pls gfx it on your own and dont copy it :O
and i dont want to bash delteria or something the gat did this and not the other staff i like the rest of the server
and gerami inspiration is ok how long you do your own work out of something but to copy other rpg things 1 to 1 is bad :O

Codein
07-08-2007, 05:56 PM
they can have a floor like this but pls gfx it on your own and dont copy it :O
and i dont want to bash delteria or something the gat did this and not the other staff i like the rest of the server
and gerami inspiration is ok how long you do your own work out of something but to copy other rpg things 1 to 1 is bad :O

I agree. Since I'm a graphics designer and I have had my work stolen before, I really despise it.

Crono
07-08-2007, 11:58 PM
Haha the glass in the spar room had a gani all along, just didn't work I suppose. Now the glass opens where you jump in rather than just warping you underground.

Awesome. :cool:

DustyPorViva
07-09-2007, 12:19 AM
This makes me sad :(
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6361/delteriagaia1lh3.gif
At first I thought they only looked similar... but now after pasting them over each other. They are indeed just recolors with some random pixels thrown in for absolutely no positive effect.
Now if the rest of these tiles were possible, why copy the floor tiles? Which brings me to question if they actually did do the rest of the tiles themselves.

ArushenP2P
07-09-2007, 12:57 AM
That is super smexy :3. Especially the Spar Arena Board.

Crono
07-09-2007, 12:57 AM
It seems the old GAT that worked on the tileset had recolored the roads, the only thing on the tileset from him I believe. The rest of the stuff is from Sandz (once again, I believe).

Should be changed imo.

Codein
07-09-2007, 01:22 AM
At first I thought they only looked similar... but now after pasting them over each other. They are indeed just recolors with some random pixels thrown in for absolutely no positive effect.
Now if the rest of these tiles were possible, why copy the floor tiles? Which brings me to question if they actually did do the rest of the tiles themselves.

Well and truely busted :)

Lies.

Gambet
07-09-2007, 01:47 AM

You have it backwords. The grey one is Delteria's.

I must say, it is a nice floor plan, though.

Cloven
07-09-2007, 04:30 AM
Don't assume, because you make an ASS out of you and me.

I'll plead ignorance on that one, because I don't play RPGs.

I think something should be done with it (the cobblestone), and will see that it gets worked on (I actually believe it could be improved anyway).

As for the rest of the tileset, it's some recolors from the default tileset, and anything else was largely created by Sandz, and some from me in 2004 and this year. Hope that clears anything up.

Now lets see if we can all act like we have some maturity. It's pretty obvious that if this is the biggest thing to gripe about, somebody's just a crybaby. Thanks. :)

DustyPorViva
07-09-2007, 04:38 AM
How was I not acting maturely? It's not like I went on a *****-fest about the stolen tiles like Graal is notorious for, and I actually provided some truth.
I'm also sure if you see any of your work stolen you'd do just as much assuming. I think if someone has stolen graphics it's fair enough that there will be assumptions. But either way, kudos to taking action on it. Though I think you're a bit too defensive.

Crono
07-09-2007, 04:42 AM
How was I not acting maturely? It's not like I went on a *****-fest about the stolen tiles like Graal is notorious for, and I actually provided some truth.
I'm also sure if you see any of your work stolen you'd do just as much assuming. I think if someone has stolen graphics it's fair enough that there will be assumptions. But either way, kudos to taking action on it. Though I think you're a bit too defensive.

Well, Delteria has been working quite hard lately with this open beta, fixing everything and trying to satisify player needs. There must be a good level of stress for Delterian staff because we've been waiting for this update for literally years and they do not want to disappoint.

But yeah, they got this under control. Sandz told me he made most of the tileset except for the roads, which we can see are clearly ripped/recolored/whatever you want to call it.

DustyPorViva
07-09-2007, 04:45 AM
I think the selling point is the roofing, now just to fix that mind-numbing palette and the roads and you'll be set!

smirt362
07-09-2007, 04:57 AM
That spar room is REALLY cool. I'm gonna have to go check it out now D:

Just a couple of minutes in to exploring and I'm all ready loving it. I think it's all the little touches...I really like the church and the mirror effect at the barber shop is awesome. I also really like the way you did stairs/EVERYTHING.

A ton of attention and detail went into this city. This is clearly an example of WHAT to do when designing a tileset.

Crono
07-09-2007, 05:26 AM
A ton of attention and detail went into this city. This is clearly an example of WHAT to do when designing a tileset.

And this is just the beta, I can't wait for the full OW which I heard was going to be released in a weeks time. :)

6Burning6Church6
07-09-2007, 06:25 AM
Don't assume, because you make an ASS out of you and me.

I'll plead ignorance on that one, because I don't play RPGs.

I think something should be done with it (the cobblestone), and will see that it gets worked on (I actually believe it could be improved anyway).

As for the rest of the tileset, it's some recolors from the default tileset, and anything else was largely created by Sandz, and some from me in 2004 and this year. Hope that clears anything up.

Now lets see if we can all act like we have some maturity. It's pretty obvious that if this is the biggest thing to gripe about, somebody's just a crybaby. Thanks. :)

Don't forget to give Mateus credit, he did do a good portion of the outside tiles, even though they were redone a little bit he still created them.

Also those floor tiles do look the same, I'm not gonna defend Delt on that one, however I will say that this project has been going on for quite some time and it is very possible that when Tiamat/Sandz were doing a lot of work with Kaljun they hired some guy who stole those gfx and put them in there. Now that it's been brought to light how similar they are to that other game, then I'm sure that they will get to work on remaking them.

Having stolen work is not always the fault of management, there is nobody here who would be able to pick out every stolen image you are shown, I'm sure that the management thanks you for bringing this to light so they can assess to the problem and fix it, but going on and on and on about it isn't going to do anything but frustrate people.

Also the outlines don't line up 100% on the images, but I'm sure that is something that happened during the recolor and probably wasn't even on purpose, there's no doubt that those graphics are stolen if you do a side by side comparison.

Cloven
07-09-2007, 06:52 AM
Don't forget to give Mateus credit, he did do a good portion of the outside tiles, even though they were redone a little bit he still created them.

Speaking of outside tiles, I did most of the tree. :p
But yeah, can't forget good old Mateus.

Though I think you're a bit too defensive.

I'm just overly blunt to be honest.

The point was that I will be taking action, and since it was stated multiple times already, I don't really see how another echo with regards to the cobblestone was necessary. It's kind of like if you were to be a stock clerk who dropped a gallon of milk and the next 20 customers who passed by told you there was spilled milk on the floor, ya know? No hard feelings or anything. :)

DustyPorViva
07-09-2007, 07:12 AM
Well the point of my post was to really post definitive proof. The screenshot given wasn't enough to really end the argument as to whether it was stolen or not, so I did so. Also, you posted after the screenshot was shown and such and never said anything about changing it, so ya, it's not like hearing echoes because you never said you were changing it before.
As for hard feelings, nah, of course not.

Crono
07-09-2007, 07:29 AM
Screenshots don't do the town justice guys, you have to run around in the town to appreciate all the fine details, the way the town actually feels like a port town, etc.

Trust me, I'm not easy to please and this impresses me. Truly a 9/10 town.

Mykel
07-09-2007, 07:45 AM
Yeah, the town detail is absolutely incredible. I was able to see a decent portion of the development process and the attention to detail was absolutely ridiculous, in fact, as a developer who did, errr, "some" stuff, it was pretty annoying at times. :)

But as Crono said, just walking through you get an awesome feeling for how great it is.

Luda
07-09-2007, 08:07 AM
It's nice but theres way too much gray and blue :-(

Matt
07-09-2007, 10:13 AM
I'm loving the tileset and other graphics completely. :)

Inspiration
07-09-2007, 07:32 PM
I truly like how people are complaining about copying a single floor pattern from a semi-obscure game made about 13 years ago, when we're all playing a game that was almost an exact copy of Zelda: Link to the past.

It's not like it's copied from another server, and it's not like the "stolen" content is even something that's copyrighted or illegal to copy.

DustyPorViva
07-09-2007, 07:53 PM
It was a recolor. Graal's tileset, however, is redone, however similar it is. Copying gameplay and taking graphics from a game and recoloring it is two completely different things. As for it being an obscure game, does it matter? It's still stolen whether it's from that game or Final Fantasy.
Also, you say it as though stealing graphics from another server is worse than stealing from a commercial game.

Gambet
07-09-2007, 07:57 PM
It was a recolor. Graal's tileset, however, is redone, however similar it is. Copying gameplay and taking graphics from a game and recoloring it is two completely different things. As for it being an obscure game, does it matter? It's still stolen whether it's from that game or Final Fantasy.
Also, you say it as though stealing graphics from another server is worse than stealing from a commercial game.

The problem has been acknowledged by the staff and they say they're going to change it, so what's the problem? x-x

DustyPorViva
07-09-2007, 08:17 PM
I was replying to the post before mines? Perhaps I should have quoted him.

DustyPorViva
07-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Oh ya, after actually going through the place. I notice you use a lot of horizontal stair graphics. I think it would benefit a lot if someone scripted you to actually follow the steps and go upwards with them, instead of pushing against the tiles.

Crono
07-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Oh ya, after actually going through the place. I notice you use a lot of horizontal stair graphics. I think it would benefit a lot if someone scripted you to actually follow the steps and go upwards with them, instead of pushing against the tiles.

Would be neat actually.

Crono
07-10-2007, 03:49 AM
Spar room is updated. It now has a /join spar system. Use /line to see the list of people in line.

Two new screens added on top, the left one shows the person next (showing his head and nickname), the second one isn't functioning yet but will show win streaks (an important aspect in the ranking system).

Yes the nicknames in the screens scroll from right to left in a loop

kenyonandelliot
07-10-2007, 04:18 AM
Two ways to mess up the spar, joining the line when you are in the spar and both fighters dying.

Crono
07-10-2007, 04:19 AM
Two ways to mess up the spar, joining the line when you are in the spar and both fighters dying.

Both fighters dying doesn't mess it up, I think. It didn't mess it up for me.

kenyonandelliot
07-10-2007, 04:25 AM
Both fighters dying doesn't mess it up, I think. It didn't mess it up for me.

Well it makes it so no one else can get on.. Happened to me and other people a few times, and a staff has to enter and leave just to fix it.

Crono
07-10-2007, 04:28 AM
Well it makes it so no one else can get on.. Happened to me and other people a few times, and a staff has to enter and leave just to fix it.

Don't think it has to do with both players dying. They're fixing it though.

kenyonandelliot
07-10-2007, 04:34 AM
Don't think it has to do with both players dying. They're fixing it though.

Yeah, but when i see that happen, something goes wrong.

DustyPorViva
07-10-2007, 04:36 AM
The spar room is really nice, despite the few bugs. The scoreboard is really nice, even if it's not that complicated, it's good to have a nice presentation level. I wish other servers would do the same. The graphics don't even have to be all that great, it's all about the presentation.

_Z3phyr_
07-10-2007, 06:47 AM
hey guys i found this one thing that's wrong lets make the whole server look horrible because of it by reiterating it constantly; eewww stolen gfx how dare you!

WHAT'D I SAY

Gambet
07-10-2007, 08:23 AM
WHAT'D I SAY

My response exactly.

Bitterchaos
07-15-2007, 06:38 PM
the floor tiles were added to the tileset by mateus when he worked for us like 3 years ago. sorry we didnt pick up on it, but we dont have that much free time on our hands to reference everything our gfx artists make. and considering the fact that mateus was a talented gfx artist, i dont think anyone thought anything of it.

p.s. glad u all like my gfx work and spar arena :D

-sandz

Tyrial
08-22-2007, 11:07 PM
Again, Stealing is bad...

Mykel
08-23-2007, 01:25 AM
Again, Stealing is bad...lol irony

Spark910
08-23-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm sure you may have done something but 1st post, 2nd screenshot in the bottom right = the wall that comes out should have roof tile on the bottom, else it looks like the roof is holding up the wall.

Signs shouldn't blend in so much with the floor tiles (why not wood not grey).