PDA

View Full Version : Knife of Fiends.. I mean, um, of Lamers.. yeah!

Rufus
05-17-2007, 05:11 AM
Is it me, or has this seemingly pointless NPC turned into a seemingly pointless NPC, which places people who enjoy laming at an advantage.

With the departure of Massokre what seems like an eternity ago, I'm not sure if the "SAY NO TO LAMING!" policy is still in force, but as the server stays at a stalemate, the players are becoming more and more lame as the days go by. At the end of the day this just provides even more frustration on top of that already around.

I don't know when this was implemented, but The Knife of Fiends weapon allows players with (I presume) >20 AP to take 5 hearts off another player with just one attack, and with the server only having 9 hearts released, it's a bit of a pain in the ass to be honest. I suggest that something is done with the NPC as it's just annoying basically. I guess you could always rename it to "The Knife of Lamers" for a better description of how it is used, but come on.. with only three knives in the actual NPC, it seems quite odd for it to take off 5 hp.

DustyPorViva
05-17-2007, 05:41 AM
Wow really, nine hearts? Back in the old days, three hearts damage in one blow would be 'kicking-ass' sort of thing, and that was when there were a crapload of fullheart quests available.

Polo
05-17-2007, 06:21 AM
I only became aware that it was doing so much damage today (people never report problems).

There were a number of bugs, but I've fixed up the behavior so that hitting someone with 100ap will injure you for 1.5 hearts and hitting a 0ap person will injure them for 1.5 hearts. The damage scales in between, so basically you want to hit lots of low ap people, and none with high ap.

Before it was scaling between 5 hearts either way, but using the attackers ap for the calculation rather than the victims. It was also not correctly injuring the attacker due to some bracketing issues in the script.

Hope this works a little more fairly. It can be tweaked further if needed (perhaps giving it a bias towards injuring people rather than being a pure 50/50 split).

Rufus
05-17-2007, 06:23 AM
That makes much more sense, adds a better function to the NPC, and can't really be used for extreme laming.

Thanks! :D

DustyPorViva
05-17-2007, 06:36 AM
So hitting someone with 50 ap = 0 hearts?

Polo
05-17-2007, 06:52 AM
So hitting someone with 50 ap = 0 hearts?
Yep. That might be a problem, might not, will see how it pans out. It's easy enough to just add a base amount onto the attack though. I'd rather see how it works out before tweaking it more though. That way I can better judge how much of a change is needed. ^^

Luda
05-17-2007, 07:09 AM
I only became aware that it was doing so much damage today (people never report problems).

There were a number of bugs, but I've fixed up the behavior so that hitting someone with 100ap will injure you for 1.5 hearts and hitting a 0ap person will injure them for 1.5 hearts. The damage scales in between, so basically you want to hit lots of low ap people, and none with high ap.

Before it was scaling between 5 hearts either way, but using the attackers ap for the calculation rather than the victims. It was also not correctly injuring the attacker due to some bracketing issues in the script.

Hope this works a little more fairly. It can be tweaked further if needed (perhaps giving it a bias towards injuring people rather than being a pure 50/50 split).

Maybe you should of payed attention to it when it was released (a year ago)
How about testing the NPC's before they are released and go over them, instead of blaming it on the players for "not reporting problems".
Stop using the players as a scapegoat.

ff7chocoboknight
05-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Erm... I thought there were only 8 hearts?

Tyhm
05-18-2007, 07:32 AM
-_-

The standing trouble of Classic not knowing the difference between Can and Should. (Really, it's more a question of making teh NPC, tweaking it, then eventually putting it at the end of a decent quest)